Vietnam Airlines Plane Engine Failure, Explosion Forces Closure of Melbourne Airport
By Esther Tanquintic-Misa | May 7, 2014 4:02 PM EST
Flights were disrupted in Melbourne Airport on Tuesday after a plane engine failure of a Vietnam Airlines plane led to an explosion. The terminal was closed for 40 minutes for both incoming and outgoing airliners.
The main entrance of the old Athens' airport at Hellenikon suburb, southwest of Athens May 5, 2014. Greece's return from bond market exile and signs of economic revival has attracted big international investors to its privatisation drive, giving the country more options for raising cash to cut debts, the chief executive of the Hellenic Republic Asset Development Fund (HRADF) Ioannis Emiris told Reuters in an interview. Since its 2010 bailout, Athens has signed privatisation deals worth 4.9 billion euros. It raised upfront about 2.7 billion euros in cash, with more than half of that amount coming from gambling sales and licenses. The money raised so far is less than an initial target for 22 billion euros in 2010-2013 set by the EU/IMF. The biggest deals have been the sale of gambling firm OPAP and a landmark, 915-million-euro property lease at the site of the former Athens airport. To match Interview GREECE-PRIVATISATION/ Picture taken May 5, 2014. REUTERS/Alkis Konstantinidis
Vietnam Airlines Flight 780 was taxiing to take off on a flight to Ho Chi Minh City when the malfunction happened.
The aircraft then caught fire after burning debris fell from it just moments before take off.
The twin-engine Airbus A330 eventually halted at the intersection of the airport's two runways. It blocked all incoming and outgoing traffic until 11:30 am, local time (01:30 GMT), Melbourne Airport spokeswoman Anna Gillett said.
"There was a flame that occurred from the engine. That is when the pilot discovered something was not right,'' Gillett said. "Some debris fell out of the plane, causing spotfires ... but the plane was not ablaze.''
Bill Ho, one of the passengers of Vietnam Airlines, spotted the flames through his window.
"I shouted out 'There are flames coming out of the engine','' he told Herald Sun.
"We are very lucky the pilot realised. He hit the brakes real hard and we heard a big bang - it sounded like a tyre had blown up. There was smoke everywhere.''
"I was quite shocked ... I will be a bit nervous flying now. But we were lucky we were not in the air when it happened.''
Another passenger identified only as Peter told ABC the plane was three-quarters full of passengers.
"The plane aborted take-off, I know it all happens very quickly but it all of a sudden stopped," Peter told ABC Melbourne. "We were taking off and it just stopped."
He said it was engine 2 that failed.
To report problems or to leave feedback about this article, e-mail:
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Flight MH17 Attack: Russians Claim 'Putin A Terrorist,' Memorial at Dutch Embassy Overflows [PHOTOS]
- Typhoon Rammasun Claims 18 Lives in China, Incurs $4.32B Losses (PHOTOS)
- Ellen DeGeneres Caught Cheating with Mutual Friend Before Portia de Rossi’s Rehab – Reports [PHOTOS]
- Typhoon Matmo Leaves 32k Customers w/o Electricity in Taiwan, Weakens After Landing in China
Join the Conversation
- MH17: Pro-Russian Rebel Confesses Firing on Plane by Mistake
- What May Have Happened to Malaysia Airlines MH17: 5 Strangest Conspiracy Theories; Crash Victim Had Frightening ‘Premonition’
- Another Missing Jet: Air Algeria Disappears With 116 on Board
- Refloated Italy Cruise Ship Costa Concordia Embarks Final Voyage, Bids Port of Giglio for the Very Last Time (PHOTOS)
- Malaysian Airlines Flight 17: Russians Feel Glut Over Steady Diet of Conspiracy Theories on Downed Jet
- Samsung Galaxy Note 4 Apps Leak Online, Five Fresh Features to Expect from the Android Smartphone
- Moto 360 Price Speculations, Key Features, Strategic Release Date, Design: A Watch That is More Than Just Time
- Windows Phone 8.1 Update Rollout: 20 Nokia Lumia Phones Eligible and 13 New Features to be Added
- HTC Google Nexus 8 Release Date Imminent with New Nexus 7 Deals, Two New Tablets Soon
- Three New Moto G Successors Spotted in FCC Document Dubbed Moto G2, Moto M and More --Reports
- iPad Air 2 Release Date Will Skip IGZO Panel; To Rollout with Super-Slim iPad Mini Air
- Upcoming iPad Mini 3 Could be 30% Thinner and Likely be Called iPad Mini Air; Apple Q3 Results Show 9% Decrease in iPad Sales