#askJulia: Julia Gillard Answers Questions on Education
By Athena Yenko | May 7, 2014 3:23 PM EST
Australian former Prime Minister now Chair of Board of Directors for Global Partnership for Education (GPE), Julia Gillard, will answer the question on Education on May 8 from 10.30-11.30am BST via Twitter handler @GdnGlobalDevPro.
The Guardian is encouraging everyone to follow #askJulia.
Ms Gillard had one question in mind that she also wants to be addressed -- how can we ensure that girls are not left at home while boys go to school? But the session is open for any questions that could shed light to global education problems and questions that people have in mind.
Gillard was as passionate in her new role.
She condemns the decrease in global education funding. She was very vocal in her key note speech delivered at the Student Centre of the Education City where 16 countries meet for the Educate A Child (EAC), The Gulf News reports.
"There has been an alarming decrease of aid to education, a decrease of 6.3% between 2010 and 2011. The financing needed for education is huge. To make changes in the present basic education scenario, we need new resources to drift into education," Gillard said.
With GPE, she called for nations to step up funding for education. The children, she said, should realise their rights to education.
"I am very concerned in the current freefall in global funding in education especially to basic education. We need both donors and the governments to do more in education. There must be new commitments from every corner to invest in basic education."
She added that a meeting in Brussels aims to seek the commitment of donors to invest their resources in basic education.
"We will also appeal to developing countries to increase their investment in basic education. It will be an important opportunity to reverse the trend of funds getting decreased in basic education. We need more partnership and perseverance to achieve the immediate goals. We also need good ideas and good resources to meet the goals of providing basic education for all the out of school children in a very short period."
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Kristen Stewart Moving On With Nicholas Hoult, Jennifer Lawrence Dating Chris Martin – Reports [PHOTOS]
- Kate Middleton Suffocated in Kensington Palace, Queen Elizabeth Reported War With The Duchess [PHOTOS]
- Chris Martin Dating Reports: Jennifer Lawrence Vs Gwyneth Paltrow [PHOTOS]
- 9/11 Dust Cloud Most Likely Have Created Pregnancy Issues: Celebrities Who Posed Nude During Pregnancy
Join the Conversation
- Saudi Arabia: Brothers Beheaded For Smuggling Marijuana Into The Kingdom
- ISIS: More Journalists Beheading To Come After James Foley and Steven Sotloff [Video]
- Moto X+1 is Likely Nexus 6 Template; Motorola Shamu is 1st Android Silver with Snapdragon 810 – Reports
- James Foley’s Executioner Has British Accent—A Chilling Reminder That ISIS Has Foreign Members
- ISIS Posts Graphic Beheading Video of US Journalist James Foley
- iPhone 6 Release Date Remains On Course for Sept-Oct 2014 as Apple Delays iWatch Debut to 2015
- James Foley: More Chilling Information Revealed By Escaped Journalists