Socceroos Captain Lucas Neill Ruled Out from the Squad for FIFA World Cup
By Dhrubajyoti Biswas | May 7, 2014 2:21 PM EST
Socceroos Captain Lucas Neill was skipped from the squad for the upcoming FIFA World Cup in Brazil. Coach Ange Postecoglou also confirmed the news.
It is still not sure who will take the role of captain, though there are high chances for midfielder Mile Jedinak to take over the position.
The 36-year-old footballer was not happy to be a part of the team. Postecoglou confirmed he was not convinced by Lucas's current performance.
"He (Neill) was obviously very disappointed ... He has shown an enormous determination to go to this World Cup ... I just had to make a decision not so much about the recent history, but the last six months ... In terms of form and fitness, there just wasn't enough evidence there for me to say that he would be able to hold up in the World Cup," Postecoglou stated.
Lucas Neill has played 96 times for the Australia soccer team and have captained for 60 times.
The squad for the World Cup have not been declared yet. Postecoglou confirmed he is in no hurry, but the 30-man team will be announced next week.
The reason behind Lucas's omission was mainly his unfortunate absence from soccer for a brief stint of time. Neil tried to get into a club after the end of his short tour in Japan in November 2013.
He joined the English championship team Whatford in February and later moved to Doncaster Rovers on a loan.
"He was probably a little bit unlucky in a couple of the moves he made ... And certainly from my perspective, if post-Christmas, from January onwards, if he'd had four months of football under his belt, I guess a different decision would have been made ... It's not easy... He has shown outstanding determination and it's a credit to him ... You can see why he has played for his country as many times as he has and why he was a leader ... He has certainly gone down fighting," Postecoglou added
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
Join the Conversation
- Manny Pacquiao Has Got Chris Algieri Fight All Figured Out
- New York Knicks Vs. Cleveland Cavaliers Live Streaming Info, Preview And Betting Odds
- San Francisco Giants Beat Kansas City Royals, 3-2 In Game 7, Wins 2014 MLB World Series [PHOTOS]
- Los Angeles Lakers Suffer Second Straight Loss, Phoenix Suns Deal Kobe Bryant Another Blowout Defeat, 119-99
- Female Boxer Dies In South Africa Following Knockout Blow
- Marvel Announces Release Dates Of 11 Upcoming Movies From 2015 To 2019
- Nokia Lumia 730 v. Sharp Aquos Crystal – Specifications, Features And Price Showdown
- Xiaomi Becomes World’s Third Largest Smartphone Manufacturer By Dethroning Huawei
- Apple iPhone 6 Plus vs Motorola Droid Turbo: Comparsion On Processor, Software And Battery
- Nexus 6, 9 Buyers on November Release Will Enjoy These 3 Killer Lollipop 5.0 Features First
- Australia Special Forces Await 'Delayed' Iraqi Visas Before Joining ISIS Fight
- ISIS Has Been Equipped With Advanced Anti-Aircraft Missiles