Socceroos Captain Lucas Neill Ruled Out from the Squad for FIFA World Cup
By Dhrubajyoti Biswas | May 7, 2014 2:21 PM EST
Socceroos Captain Lucas Neill was skipped from the squad for the upcoming FIFA World Cup in Brazil. Coach Ange Postecoglou also confirmed the news.
It is still not sure who will take the role of captain, though there are high chances for midfielder Mile Jedinak to take over the position.
The 36-year-old footballer was not happy to be a part of the team. Postecoglou confirmed he was not convinced by Lucas's current performance.
"He (Neill) was obviously very disappointed ... He has shown an enormous determination to go to this World Cup ... I just had to make a decision not so much about the recent history, but the last six months ... In terms of form and fitness, there just wasn't enough evidence there for me to say that he would be able to hold up in the World Cup," Postecoglou stated.
Lucas Neill has played 96 times for the Australia soccer team and have captained for 60 times.
The squad for the World Cup have not been declared yet. Postecoglou confirmed he is in no hurry, but the 30-man team will be announced next week.
The reason behind Lucas's omission was mainly his unfortunate absence from soccer for a brief stint of time. Neil tried to get into a club after the end of his short tour in Japan in November 2013.
He joined the English championship team Whatford in February and later moved to Doncaster Rovers on a loan.
"He was probably a little bit unlucky in a couple of the moves he made ... And certainly from my perspective, if post-Christmas, from January onwards, if he'd had four months of football under his belt, I guess a different decision would have been made ... It's not easy... He has shown outstanding determination and it's a credit to him ... You can see why he has played for his country as many times as he has and why he was a leader ... He has certainly gone down fighting," Postecoglou added
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Typhoon Rammasun Claims 18 Lives in China, Incurs $4.32B Losses (PHOTOS)
- Malaysia Airlines MH17: Vital Black Boxes Finally Land in Hands of Malaysian Authorities, Rebels Announce Ceasefire (PHOTOS/VIDEOS)
- Kate Middleton's Pregnancy Hearsays: Possible Evidence Revealed [PHOTOS]
- Selena Gomez Turns 22 Today, Celebrates Early without Justin Bieber: Top 12 Interesting Facts About the Singer [SEE PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- No Kevin Love to Cleveland, Andrew Wiggins to Stay with Cavaliers
- Jeremy Lin Only an ‘Expiring Contract’ in Los Angeles; Lakers Want Eric Bledsoe
- Jeremy Lin Demands More Playing Time From Lakers Next Season
- $300 Million at Stake for Floyd Mayweather vs. Manny Pacquiao Showdown
- Roger Federer is ‘The Greatest of All Time' - Novak Djokovic’s Coach Boris Becker
- Fresh Leak Hints iPhone 6 Price and Release Date; 4.7-Inches iPhone 6 Sapphire Display Scratched in Test; New Spigen Cases Out
- iPhone 6 2014 Release Date Very Soon as Apple Orders 120M New iPhones from Foxconn – Report
- Google Nexus 6 on Release Date Will Sport 2K Display Panel & Lower Price Tag – Report
- Motorola Moto G Vs. Xiaomi Mi3 – Low in Price, High -level Features
- FCC Approves Sony Xperia Z3 for U.S. Market
- Killer Xiaomi Mi4 at $369 Likely to Come With 5.0-Inch Display, Snapdragon 801 Processor, 3GB RAM and More
- Sony PlayStation 4 Outsells a Resurgent Xbox One in June