Socceroos Captain Lucas Neill Ruled Out from the Squad for FIFA World Cup
By Dhrubajyoti Biswas | May 7, 2014 2:21 PM EST
Socceroos Captain Lucas Neill was skipped from the squad for the upcoming FIFA World Cup in Brazil. Coach Ange Postecoglou also confirmed the news.
It is still not sure who will take the role of captain, though there are high chances for midfielder Mile Jedinak to take over the position.
The 36-year-old footballer was not happy to be a part of the team. Postecoglou confirmed he was not convinced by Lucas's current performance.
"He (Neill) was obviously very disappointed ... He has shown an enormous determination to go to this World Cup ... I just had to make a decision not so much about the recent history, but the last six months ... In terms of form and fitness, there just wasn't enough evidence there for me to say that he would be able to hold up in the World Cup," Postecoglou stated.
Lucas Neill has played 96 times for the Australia soccer team and have captained for 60 times.
The squad for the World Cup have not been declared yet. Postecoglou confirmed he is in no hurry, but the 30-man team will be announced next week.
The reason behind Lucas's omission was mainly his unfortunate absence from soccer for a brief stint of time. Neil tried to get into a club after the end of his short tour in Japan in November 2013.
He joined the English championship team Whatford in February and later moved to Doncaster Rovers on a loan.
"He was probably a little bit unlucky in a couple of the moves he made ... And certainly from my perspective, if post-Christmas, from January onwards, if he'd had four months of football under his belt, I guess a different decision would have been made ... It's not easy... He has shown outstanding determination and it's a credit to him ... You can see why he has played for his country as many times as he has and why he was a leader ... He has certainly gone down fighting," Postecoglou added
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- NFL MNF: Pittsburgh Steelers 30, Houston Texans 23 [PHOTOS]
- 2014 MLB World Series Game 1: San Francisco Giants 7, Kansas City Royals 1 [PHOTOS]
- 2014 MLB World Series - Game 2: Kansas City Royals 7, San Francisco Giants 2 [PHOTOS]
- NFL Thursday Recap - Denver Broncos 35, San Diego Chargers 21: Peyton Manning Has 3 TDs In Easy Win [PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- Rafael Nadal On Roger Federer: ‘He’s A Good Person, A Fantastic Player And A Great Man On Court’
- Jeremy Lin’s Big Break: Steve Nash Out For The Season For The Los Angeles Lakers
- NBA News: Teammate Stresses Jeremy Lin's Importance To The Lakers
- Croatian Boxer Banned For Life From Sport After Vicious Attack On Polish Referee [VIDEO]
- Manny Pacquiao Is Better Than Floyd Mayweather Jr. In Basketball Claims Freddie Roach
- Xiaomi Redmi 1S vs. Sharp Aquos Crystal – Specifications, Features And Price Showdown
- ASUS Releases A Teaser Indicating The Arrival of New Zenfone and ZenWatch On October 28
- Boy Stoned To Death For Alleged Rape, Victim Receives Dowry From Militants
- Three Dual SIM Samsung Galaxy Note 4 Duos Variants Comes To China
- Russia is Creating Underwater Combat Robots to Protect its Arctic Territories
- ‘Lone Wolf’ Attack on Canada Parliament Hill Could be ISIS-Related
- Android Lollipop 5.0 Confirmed for Nov 3 Rollout as Nexus 6 Global Release Date is Delayed – Reports