Samsung Galaxy S5 Prime Coming in June While Tesco Teases Own Galaxy S5 Competitor
By Gel Galang | May 7, 2014 12:26 PM EST
Samsung is looking at bringing in another competitor for the LG G3, as news of the Galaxy S5 Prime debuting abounds again--and this time, it comes with a release date.
After being denied by execs as an upcoming phone by the South Korean company, the more luxury market-inclined Samsung Galaxy S5 Prime may actually be coming in June. However, according to Phone Arena, this handset may come as part of the Samsung Galaxy F-line, touted as the luxury phones of the company.
Whatever the name this new Samsung handset may be sporting, it will reportedly boast of a Quad HD display, a more sleek and premium-looking design (rumoured to be the metal case build), a higher price tag, and even a limited edition style of selling.
The tone of the product seems to be hitting the same notes as the LG G3, hence it possibly being Samsung's direct competition to the other South Korean company.
According to the source, the limit to the number of the more high-end Samsung Galaxy S5 Prime phones is due to the high cost of production of the QHD AMOLED screens, which were actually meant to be released for the Samsung Galaxy S5 but had to be scrapped because of the failure to produce the screens.
Putting it in a more premium phone does allow for a more feasible approach to the production of QHD displays while also having a choice phone that's limited in quantity for Samsung fans who are willing to be among the "privileged few."
Tesco's own Samsung Galaxy S5?
Tesco already has a follow-up to its Hudl, the device that, despite running on Android, may be its own response to the Samsung Galaxy S5.
Digital Trends reports that the Tesco smartphone, dubbed to be the Hudl Phone, is geared towards its customers, since it has pre-installed Tesco services. However, the main factor that can affect the decision to buy is that, unlike the Hudl, which featured a fairly low price tag, this new Tesco phone seems to be battling the Samsung Galaxy S5 in terms of pricing.
This may be due to the fact that Tesco's smartphone will also feature a pretty good lineup of specs, but the retail store banks on aggressive pricing to make the phone a success.
Given the already crowded industry of smartphones, being close to the Samsung Galaxy S5 in design may not make the cut for introducing new handsets in the market. Tesco may need an edge that would tease apart its devices from introductory products in the smartphone market. It doesn't help that competitor Amazon is also looking at releasing its own Fire phone.
Read more tech and gaming news:
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Still The World Champions: Team USA Overpowers Serbia, 129-92 To Win 2014 FIBA World Cup [PHOTOS]
- From Fat To Fit: Celebrities Who Were Overweight Before They Became The Beauties That They Are
- Kendall Jenner Could Be Next Victoria's Secret Angel [PHOTOS]
- Taylor Swift Named People's Best Dressed Stars Of 2014 [PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- Android L 5.0 Eligible And Ineligible Devices: Nexus Gadgets, Google Play Edition And Android One
- Know More About ‘Pokemon Omega Ruby and Alpha Sapphire’ Team Aqua And Magma, Pokemon Bank and Global Link
- Samsung Galaxy Note 4 Release Dates Set To Hit 3 Areas As Early As September
- ‘World Of Warcraft’ Extends The ‘Gaze Of The Black Prince’ Buff Until The ‘Warlords Of Draenor' Pre-Patch 6.0.2 Release After Updating The 6.0.2 Public Test Realm Patch Notes [WATCH VIDEO]
- 'Dragon Age: Inquisition' Warrior, Rogue, Mage Gameplay And Combat Strategies
- iOS 8 Release Date Of Sept 17 Has Arrived: Update Begins At 10AM Pacific Time, Upgrade Your iDevices With iOS 7.1.2 First To Install iOS 8
- Why Samsung Galaxy S5 Is Not The Best Smartphone To Purchase Now? If You Still Want To, Wait For A Month To Get It Cheap
- Apple iPad Air 2, iPad Mini 3 October Release Date Roundup: Freshly Leaked Protective Case Debuts Unique Vent Alongside Camera
- Canadian IS Jihadist Wants to ‘Play Soccer’ with Heads of US Decapitated Soldiers
- Warning to U.S. – ISIS Has Shot Down a Syrian Regime Fighter Jet
- Spice Dream Uno vs Xiaomi Redmi 1S: Android One Smartphone to Challenge The Existing Budget Friendly Smartphone
- iPhone 6 Plus Phablet Features Only 1 GB RAM