Apple Inc. No Longer Top-tech Company for Having ‘Nothing Better to Do’
By Athena Yenko | May 7, 2014 11:33 AM EST
Apple Inc. continues to reap criticisms with its recently announced stock split.
"Sometimes it just means you've got nothing better to do, A couple years ago I saw Charles Schwab [make] some price changes. To me that just shows such lack of creativity. The market is not asking for lower prices. If that's the best you can do to try and shake it up, you're on empty."
Lilien said that dividends and stock splits may be viewed as similar entities.
"On the other hand, there is the argument to be made for [a company] like Apple that if the stock is really high, and your customers are generally retail and you'd like some of your shareholders to be retail, [it's] not a bad idea to align your stock price so it looks more affordable to your own customer base. I could see it both ways. It does seem like a lack of better things to do. But it also doesn't seem like a terrible idea to have a lower-priced stock so that the customers can also be shareholders."
One of top tech investors, Fred Wilson of New York's Union Square Ventures, believes that Apple Inc will no longer be the top tech company in the world by 2020.
Wilson said that Apple is a company that is "too rooted to hardware."
"I think hardware is increasingly becoming a commodity. Their stuff in the cloud is largely not good. I don't think they think about data and the cloud."
He predicted that it will be Google, Facebook "and one that we've never heard of" that will make it to the top three tech companies when the time comes. He had no idea what the number three company will be.
As for Twitter, he predicted it will be "four, five, six, seven ... but I'm not sure it will be number-two [or three]."
As precedent for Apple Inc.'s situation, Wilson took Yahoo as an example.
Yahoo is projected to be excluded from the list to be published in June by Fortune 500.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Flight MH17 Attack: Russians Claim 'Putin A Terrorist,' Memorial at Dutch Embassy Overflows [PHOTOS]
- Typhoon Rammasun Claims 18 Lives in China, Incurs $4.32B Losses (PHOTOS)
- Ellen DeGeneres Caught Cheating with Mutual Friend Before Portia de Rossi’s Rehab – Reports [PHOTOS]
- Malaysia Airlines MH17: Vital Black Boxes Finally Land in Hands of Malaysian Authorities, Rebels Announce Ceasefire (PHOTOS/VIDEOS)
Join the Conversation
- California Fruits Recalled in USA and Canada for Possible Listeria Contamination
- Malaysian Airlines Flight 17: Air Carrier Losing $1.6 Million/Day; Crisis Management Experts Suggest Hiring Risk Expert as CEO
- The IBM and Apple Merger: Will it Spell Trouble to Rival Companies
- CBA, NAB, Westpac in Fixed Rate War Offering Below 5% Interest
- Radio Australia Cuts to Affect Isolated Vanuatu Residents Who Rely on It for Weather Bulletins
- Samsung Galaxy Note 4 Apps Leak Online, Five Fresh Features to Expect from the Android Smartphone
- Moto 360 Price Speculations, Key Features, Strategic Release Date, Design: A Watch That is More Than Just Time
- Windows Phone 8.1 Update Rollout: 20 Nokia Lumia Phones Eligible and 13 New Features to be Added
- Three New Moto G Successors Spotted in FCC Document Dubbed Moto G2, Moto M and More --Reports
- HTC Google Nexus 8 Release Date Imminent with New Nexus 7 Deals, Two New Tablets Soon
- iPad Air 2 Release Date Will Skip IGZO Panel; To Rollout with Super-Slim iPad Mini Air
- Upcoming iPad Mini 3 Could be 30% Thinner and Likely be Called iPad Mini Air; Apple Q3 Results Show 9% Decrease in iPad Sales