Apple Inc. No Longer Top-tech Company for Having ‘Nothing Better to Do’
By Athena Yenko | May 7, 2014 11:33 AM EST
Apple Inc. continues to reap criticisms with its recently announced stock split.
"Sometimes it just means you've got nothing better to do, A couple years ago I saw Charles Schwab [make] some price changes. To me that just shows such lack of creativity. The market is not asking for lower prices. If that's the best you can do to try and shake it up, you're on empty."
Lilien said that dividends and stock splits may be viewed as similar entities.
"On the other hand, there is the argument to be made for [a company] like Apple that if the stock is really high, and your customers are generally retail and you'd like some of your shareholders to be retail, [it's] not a bad idea to align your stock price so it looks more affordable to your own customer base. I could see it both ways. It does seem like a lack of better things to do. But it also doesn't seem like a terrible idea to have a lower-priced stock so that the customers can also be shareholders."
One of top tech investors, Fred Wilson of New York's Union Square Ventures, believes that Apple Inc will no longer be the top tech company in the world by 2020.
Wilson said that Apple is a company that is "too rooted to hardware."
"I think hardware is increasingly becoming a commodity. Their stuff in the cloud is largely not good. I don't think they think about data and the cloud."
He predicted that it will be Google, Facebook "and one that we've never heard of" that will make it to the top three tech companies when the time comes. He had no idea what the number three company will be.
As for Twitter, he predicted it will be "four, five, six, seven ... but I'm not sure it will be number-two [or three]."
As precedent for Apple Inc.'s situation, Wilson took Yahoo as an example.
Yahoo is projected to be excluded from the list to be published in June by Fortune 500.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Gennady Golovkin Next Fight Options: Canelo Alvarez, Miguel Cotto Or Julio Cesar Chavez Jr.
- NFL MNF: Pittsburgh Steelers 30, Houston Texans 23 [PHOTOS]
- 2014 MLB World Series Game 1: San Francisco Giants 7, Kansas City Royals 1 [PHOTOS]
- 2014 MLB World Series - Game 2: Kansas City Royals 7, San Francisco Giants 2 [PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- Boy Stoned To Death For Alleged Rape, Victim Receives Dowry From Militants
- No Mercy: ISIS, Father Stones to Death Daughter for Alleged Adultery
- ASUS Releases A Teaser Indicating The Arrival of New Zenfone and ZenWatch On October 28
- Russia is Creating Underwater Combat Robots to Protect its Arctic Territories
- Three Dual SIM Samsung Galaxy Note 4 Duos Variants Comes To China
- iOS 8 Jailbreak Release Date is Doomed as Team Evad3rs Opts Out, Pangu Hits Snag – Report
- Google Nexus 6 vs. iPhone 5S: 4 Important Things to Consider Before Switching to Android Lollipop