NBA News: Mark Jackson Fired as GS Warriors Head Coach; Kerr, Van Gundy, Hollins as Replacement?
By James Patrick Quizon | May 7, 2014 11:26 AM EST
Even for what was seemingly a successful stint as head coach with the Golden State Warriors, the franchise has decided to fire Mark Jackson and made the announcement official on Tuesday.
"Thanks to the Warriors organization for the opportunity you gave me," Jackson said toe ESPN.COM. "Thanks to the great fans for all of your support!! Thank you to my players!! Who I love!! We accomplished a lot together!! I wish you all nothing but the best! God bless."
NBA: Playoffs-Los Angeles Clippers at Golden State Warriors
There are other non-basketball reasons for the firing as Jackson apparently often clashed with the GSW management and front office.
General manager Bob Myers did not address the issue but believes the firing of Jackson was the right move for the franchise.
''You're never sure of anything. But I do know that we have a lot of conviction in the decisions we make,'' Myers said. ''We wouldn't have made this decision if we didn't believe it didn't help the organization move forward.''
Among the early candidates short-listed for the Warriors head coaching job are Steve Kerr, Stan Van Gundy and Lionel Hollins. Kerr has been linked with the New York Knicks job while Van Gundy and Hollins are former coaches in recent years with the Orlando Magic and Memphis Grizzlies, respectively.
Doc Rivers, current head coach of the Los Angeles Clippers, who beat Jackson’s Warriors in the first round of the Western Conference Playoffs, was a bit surprised to see the development.
"George Karl was the coach of the year last year and got fired. Mark Jackson gets a team to multiple playoffs for the first time in a thousand years and gets fired. It's our job. We have a tough job. Everyone knows it now more than ever. ... Something has absolutely changed. I don't know what it is. Clearly the patience has changed. I don't know but there's definitely a change in thinking above us and it's hurting us." Rivers said in the same ESPN article.
Jackson’s first year with Golden State was a rough one notching only a 23-43 win-loss record in the lockout season in 2011-2012. The next few years was marked with good runs up until the postseason. Under Jackson Golden State went 47-35 in 2012-2014 and then 51-31 in the 2013-2014 NBA season.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Angelina Jolie & Brad Pitt Heads to Malta For New Movie After A Whirlwind French Wedding [PHOTOS]
- Prince Harry & Camilla Thurlow Getting Serious, St. Tropez Holiday Before The Prince’s 30th Birthday [PHOTOS]
- Chris Martin Getting Serious With Jennifer Lawrence, Actress Joining Coldplay Tour [PHOTOS]
- 2014 MTV Video Music Awards: Full List Of Winners, Miley Cyrus ‘Wrecking Ball’ Bags Video Of The Year [PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- 2014 FIBA World Cup Live Streaming Info: Spain vs. Iran Preview, Starting Lineups
- 2014 FIBA World Cup Live Streaming Info: USA vs. Finland Preview, Starting Lineups [VIDEO]
- Arsenal FC Transfer News: Wenger's Take on Falcao and Rabiot
- Chelsea FC Transfer News: Blues Striker Fernando Torres Heads To AC Milan
- Arsenal FC Transfer News: Signing A Striker Is Still Considered By Wenger
- Sept 19 iPhone 6 Release Date Firms Up as iWatch Rollout Delayed to Jan 2015 – Reports
- Apple iPhone 6 Actual Release Date after September 9 Confirmed 128GB Variant with New Resolution
- Apple iOS 8 vs Android 5.0 L: OS Wars Puts Android to Lower while Apple to Higher
- Google Chrome 64-bit for Windows 8 and Window 7 with Mac Beta Available
- North Korea Banker Who Manages Money of Kim Jong-un Defects to Russia With $5 Million
- Nexus 6 on Release Date Confirmed with Phablet-Size Display as FCC Filing Hints of 5.9-Inch Screen
- Nexus 4, Nexus 5, Nexus 7, Nexus 10 New Paranoid Android 4.5 Beta 2 Update Guide