Prince William Flies Economy Class, 'Not Impressive', Fans Said
By Tanya Diente | May 7, 2014 10:56 AM EST
Prince William was spotted by a fellow passenger aboard an economy class flight from Memphis to Dallas on Sunday, May 4. The Prince was onboard American Airlines and was travelling back home to UK from Guy Pelly's (a family friend) wedding in Memphis.
Britain's Prince William, his wife Catherine, Duchess of Cambridge and their son Prince George disembark from their plane after arriving in Wellington April 7, 2014. The Prince and his wife Kate are undertaking a 19-day official visit to New Zealand and Australia with their son George. REUTERS/Phil Noble
Prince William was recently in America with his brother Prince Harry, but Harry wasn't onboard the same flight.
Eli Ross, a US television reporter, was the passenger aboard the same economy class flight as the prince. When he saw the Duke of Cambridge, he took a snapshot of clearly the prince's back view (his head) and posted it to Twitter.
"I am still amazed #Prince William flies COACH. That's pretty humble/awesome. Who knew?" Ross captioned the photo.
The post was re-tweeted 75 times, with fans showing their appreciation and "like" over the prince's humility.
— Eli Ross (@local24eli) May 5, 2014
DailyMail reported that Eli Ross saw the prince sit by the window and reportedly ordered a bottle of water, which he paid himself, during the one-hour-and-30 minute flight.
This is not the first time though that the Royal couple took cheaper flights. On 2011, Prince William and wife Kate Middleton surprised passengers when they settle into seats with the rest of the public after boarding a Flybe jet in Edinburgh. They were on an hour flight back to Manchester after attending friends Zara Phillips and Mike Tindall's wedding in Edinburgh.
The queen had reportedly urged her family during the recession to avoid extravagant expenses.
Despite this appreciation of Prince William, others are quick to contest that flying economy class is nothing to be impressed about. Below are the comments gathered from DailyMail on Prince William's economy flight from Memphis to Dalls.
"It is just an internal flight of 1 hour 30 minutes so not that impressive as this is easily bearable. If he took a long whole flight from states to UK in Economy then that would be different." - Snake Plissken, United Kingdom
"The flight was only an hour long, he'd survive." - Heisenberg, Albuquerque, United States
"Memphis to Dallas, that's only 400 miles. Big deal." - nickspezio, pittsburgh PA
"He has the front row seat which has a lot more leg room. Stick him in economy on the return flight to New Zealand then I might be impressed." - St George, Burford, United Kingdom
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Taylor Swift Named Forbes' Second Highest Paid Country Musician [PHOTOS]
- Forever Lost: Indescribable Anguish for Malaysia Airlines MH17 Families, Remains of Some Victims May Never Be Found (PHOTOS)
- Lunch with the Gods: Pope Francis Eats with Vatican Workers in Cafeteria
- Global Aviation Accidents: UN to Form Safety Task Force, Gov'ts Should Share Intelligence Info to Avert Future Incidents on Flying Over Warzones (PHOTOS)
Join the Conversation
- Kate Middleton's Pregnancy Reports: Alleged Miscarriage Makes Prince William and Prince Harry Somber - Reports
- Ed Sheeran Disappoints Taylor Swift and Other A-List Celebrities, Scolded for Spilling Secrets - Reports
- Beyonce and Jay Z: HOV May Have a Sextape with Carmen Bryan, Report Suggests; Queen Bey ‘Beyond Furious’
- The Bachelorette Season 10 (2014) Finale, ATFR Spoilers: Find Out: Will Andi Dorfman Accept the Proposal and is She Still With the Winner
- Jim Parsons Quits The Big Bang Theory News Turns Out Hoax, but Actor ‘Not’ Sure about his Return in Season 8
- Google Nexus 6, 8 with Android L on Release Date Promises Killer Mobile Device Experience
- iPhone 6 Release Date Relevance to iOS Newbies: Specs Meaning, Price Considerations
- 12-inch MacBook Apple Retina and 2014 MacBook Pro to Feature Liquid Sensors, Release in October
- Travel at Own Risk; Emirates, Qantas Differ on Flying over Iraq Warzone; Emirates Reroutes, Qantas Pushes On
- The Pirate Bay Releases ‘The Mobile Bay’: Mobile Torrent Download Made Easier but Remains Illegal