Kevin Durant Named 2014 NBA MVP; Beats LeBron James, Blake Griffin
By James Patrick Quizon | May 7, 2014 10:42 AM EST
Move over, LeBron James. The NBA has a new Most Valuable Player (MVP). Oklahoma City Thunder forward Kevin Durant officially won the award on Tuesday receiving 119 first-place votes for 1,232 total points in the MVP voting.
NBA: Playoffs-Oklahoma City Thunder at Memphis Grizzlies
Rival superstar James of the Miami Heat had 891 points with just 6 first place votes. Big men Blake Griffin of the Los Angeles Clippers had 434 points for 3rd place and Joakim Noah of the Chicago Bulls had 322 points for 4th place.
Durant dominated the NBA again with his scoring and led the league with 32.0 points per game, his fourth scoring title in the last five years. All season long the 6-foot-9 forward also showed the versatility inside the court logging in 7.4 rebounds, 5.5 assists and 1.3 steals in 81 of 82 games of the 2013-2014 NBA Season.
All-Star teammate Russell Westbrook was also injured for much of the regular season but still “KD” led the OKC team to the second-best record in the Western Conference with 59 wins and 23 losses.
Durant dedicated the award particularly to his mother, Wanda Pratt.
“You made us believe, you kept us off the streets, put clothes on our backs, put food on the table. You are the real MVP,” said Durant in the awarding ceremony on Tuesday.
"Everything in my life, I had to take it," Durant added in an ESPN.COM article. "They're not going to give it to you out of sympathy. I wouldn't want it any other way. This was another case, if I wanted to win the MVP, I had to go take it. I felt that this was the year I did that."
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
Join the Conversation
- Manny Pacquiao Has Got Chris Algieri Fight All Figured Out
- New York Knicks Vs. Cleveland Cavaliers Live Streaming Info, Preview And Betting Odds
- San Francisco Giants Beat Kansas City Royals, 3-2 In Game 7, Wins 2014 MLB World Series [PHOTOS]
- Los Angeles Lakers Suffer Second Straight Loss, Phoenix Suns Deal Kobe Bryant Another Blowout Defeat, 119-99
- Female Boxer Dies In South Africa Following Knockout Blow
- Nokia Lumia 730 v. Sharp Aquos Crystal – Specifications, Features And Price Showdown
- Apple iPhone 6 Plus vs Motorola Droid Turbo: Comparsion On Processor, Software And Battery
- Nexus 6, 9 Buyers on November Release Will Enjoy These 3 Killer Lollipop 5.0 Features First
- Australia Special Forces Await 'Delayed' Iraqi Visas Before Joining ISIS Fight
- ISIS Has Been Equipped With Advanced Anti-Aircraft Missiles
- Samsung Galaxy Note 4 vs Motorola Droid Turbo – S-Pen Is Note’s 4 USP But Droid Turbo Can Outshine With Larger Battery
- 8 Important Things to Consider Before Buying or Upgrading to iPad Air 2