Kevin Durant Named 2014 NBA MVP; Beats LeBron James, Blake Griffin
By James Patrick Quizon | May 7, 2014 10:42 AM EST
Move over, LeBron James. The NBA has a new Most Valuable Player (MVP). Oklahoma City Thunder forward Kevin Durant officially won the award on Tuesday receiving 119 first-place votes for 1,232 total points in the MVP voting.
NBA: Playoffs-Oklahoma City Thunder at Memphis Grizzlies
Rival superstar James of the Miami Heat had 891 points with just 6 first place votes. Big men Blake Griffin of the Los Angeles Clippers had 434 points for 3rd place and Joakim Noah of the Chicago Bulls had 322 points for 4th place.
Durant dominated the NBA again with his scoring and led the league with 32.0 points per game, his fourth scoring title in the last five years. All season long the 6-foot-9 forward also showed the versatility inside the court logging in 7.4 rebounds, 5.5 assists and 1.3 steals in 81 of 82 games of the 2013-2014 NBA Season.
All-Star teammate Russell Westbrook was also injured for much of the regular season but still “KD” led the OKC team to the second-best record in the Western Conference with 59 wins and 23 losses.
Durant dedicated the award particularly to his mother, Wanda Pratt.
“You made us believe, you kept us off the streets, put clothes on our backs, put food on the table. You are the real MVP,” said Durant in the awarding ceremony on Tuesday.
"Everything in my life, I had to take it," Durant added in an ESPN.COM article. "They're not going to give it to you out of sympathy. I wouldn't want it any other way. This was another case, if I wanted to win the MVP, I had to go take it. I felt that this was the year I did that."
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- NFL MNF: Pittsburgh Steelers 30, Houston Texans 23 [PHOTOS]
- 2014 MLB World Series Game 1: San Francisco Giants 7, Kansas City Royals 1 [PHOTOS]
- 2014 MLB World Series - Game 2: Kansas City Royals 7, San Francisco Giants 2 [PHOTOS]
- NFL Thursday Recap - Denver Broncos 35, San Diego Chargers 21: Peyton Manning Has 3 TDs In Easy Win [PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- Rafael Nadal On Roger Federer: ‘He’s A Good Person, A Fantastic Player And A Great Man On Court’
- Jeremy Lin’s Big Break: Steve Nash Out For The Season For The Los Angeles Lakers
- NBA News: Teammate Stresses Jeremy Lin's Importance To The Lakers
- Croatian Boxer Banned For Life From Sport After Vicious Attack On Polish Referee [VIDEO]
- Manny Pacquiao Is Better Than Floyd Mayweather Jr. In Basketball Claims Freddie Roach
- Xiaomi Redmi 1S vs. Sharp Aquos Crystal – Specifications, Features And Price Showdown
- ASUS Releases A Teaser Indicating The Arrival of New Zenfone and ZenWatch On October 28
- Boy Stoned To Death For Alleged Rape, Victim Receives Dowry From Militants
- Three Dual SIM Samsung Galaxy Note 4 Duos Variants Comes To China
- Russia is Creating Underwater Combat Robots to Protect its Arctic Territories
- Update HTC One M7 with LG G2 with Android 4.4.2 as Sprint OTA: Fixes and Installation
- ‘Lone Wolf’ Attack on Canada Parliament Hill Could be ISIS-Related