Kevin Durant Named 2014 NBA MVP; Beats LeBron James, Blake Griffin
By James Patrick Quizon | May 7, 2014 10:42 AM EST
Move over, LeBron James. The NBA has a new Most Valuable Player (MVP). Oklahoma City Thunder forward Kevin Durant officially won the award on Tuesday receiving 119 first-place votes for 1,232 total points in the MVP voting.
NBA: Playoffs-Oklahoma City Thunder at Memphis Grizzlies
Rival superstar James of the Miami Heat had 891 points with just 6 first place votes. Big men Blake Griffin of the Los Angeles Clippers had 434 points for 3rd place and Joakim Noah of the Chicago Bulls had 322 points for 4th place.
Durant dominated the NBA again with his scoring and led the league with 32.0 points per game, his fourth scoring title in the last five years. All season long the 6-foot-9 forward also showed the versatility inside the court logging in 7.4 rebounds, 5.5 assists and 1.3 steals in 81 of 82 games of the 2013-2014 NBA Season.
All-Star teammate Russell Westbrook was also injured for much of the regular season but still “KD” led the OKC team to the second-best record in the Western Conference with 59 wins and 23 losses.
Durant dedicated the award particularly to his mother, Wanda Pratt.
“You made us believe, you kept us off the streets, put clothes on our backs, put food on the table. You are the real MVP,” said Durant in the awarding ceremony on Tuesday.
"Everything in my life, I had to take it," Durant added in an ESPN.COM article. "They're not going to give it to you out of sympathy. I wouldn't want it any other way. This was another case, if I wanted to win the MVP, I had to go take it. I felt that this was the year I did that."
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
Join the Conversation
- Dota 2 Match Fixing Controversy: Arrow Gaming Disqualified From Summit 2 Tournament [VIDEO]
- Roger Federer Starts Practicing On Clay For The Davis Cup Final
- Toni Nadal Says Roger Federer Is The Greatest Of All Time
- Manchester United: Did Ed Woodward Really Uttered Expletives During The Red Devils' Draw Against West Brom?
- NFL MNF: Pittsburgh Steelers 30, Houston Texans 23 [PHOTOS]
- Chilling: New ISIS Video Addresses Australia; Aussie Teen Delivers Message
- The Pirate Bay Blockade: Cost Of Blocking Websites Like TPB Is Ridiculously High
- Xiaomi Mi4 And MiPad Prices Likely Slashed, Thanks To Rivals Oppo, OnePlus And Meizu
- Virginia Woman Who Posted Naked Image Of Ex-BF’s New Partner 1st Person Charged Under Revenge Porn Law
- Meizu MX4 Pro To Arrive In November In Black And White Colours, Features Higher Than QHD Display, Exynos 5430 SoC And 3 GB RAM
- Israel Loses A Friend in UN Security Council As New Zealand Replaces Australia
- No Mercy: ISIS, Father Stones to Death Daughter for Alleged Adultery