Kevin Durant Named 2014 NBA MVP; Beats LeBron James, Blake Griffin
By James Patrick Quizon | May 7, 2014 10:42 AM EST
Move over, LeBron James. The NBA has a new Most Valuable Player (MVP). Oklahoma City Thunder forward Kevin Durant officially won the award on Tuesday receiving 119 first-place votes for 1,232 total points in the MVP voting.
NBA: Playoffs-Oklahoma City Thunder at Memphis Grizzlies
Rival superstar James of the Miami Heat had 891 points with just 6 first place votes. Big men Blake Griffin of the Los Angeles Clippers had 434 points for 3rd place and Joakim Noah of the Chicago Bulls had 322 points for 4th place.
Durant dominated the NBA again with his scoring and led the league with 32.0 points per game, his fourth scoring title in the last five years. All season long the 6-foot-9 forward also showed the versatility inside the court logging in 7.4 rebounds, 5.5 assists and 1.3 steals in 81 of 82 games of the 2013-2014 NBA Season.
All-Star teammate Russell Westbrook was also injured for much of the regular season but still “KD” led the OKC team to the second-best record in the Western Conference with 59 wins and 23 losses.
Durant dedicated the award particularly to his mother, Wanda Pratt.
“You made us believe, you kept us off the streets, put clothes on our backs, put food on the table. You are the real MVP,” said Durant in the awarding ceremony on Tuesday.
"Everything in my life, I had to take it," Durant added in an ESPN.COM article. "They're not going to give it to you out of sympathy. I wouldn't want it any other way. This was another case, if I wanted to win the MVP, I had to go take it. I felt that this was the year I did that."
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Taylor Swift Named Forbes' Second Highest Paid Country Musician [PHOTOS]
- Forever Lost: Indescribable Anguish for Malaysia Airlines MH17 Families, Remains of Some Victims May Never Be Found (PHOTOS)
- Lunch with the Gods: Pope Francis Eats with Vatican Workers in Cafeteria
- Celebrities Suffering From Lupus: Facts About the Disease
Join the Conversation
- Jeremy Lin, Chandler Parsons React To 'Role Players' Label By James Harden
- 2014 Commonwealth Games Medal Tally: Games are Through Day 5 and Australia Continues to Dominate Count; Day 5 Highlights
- Roger Federer Not That Good If Different Surfaces Were To Exist – Giles Simon
- Dan Bilzerian Opens Up to Howard Stern, Poker Pro Admits He Once Had Sex with 16 Women in 12 Days
- Ana Ivanovic Posts a Hot Selfie on Instagram after her San Francisco Photo-Shoot
- These 2 Questions Reveal if You Unwittingly Abuse Alcohol
- Jennifer Lopez and Her Wild 45th Birthday Party: How JLo’s Life-Size Birthday Cake from SamiCakes Boutique Was Made
- Blake Griffin’s Back Injury Is the Reason for His Withdrawal from Team U.S.A.
- Supernatural Season 10 Spoilers: Metatron Capable of Saving Castiel's Fading Grace
- Anderson Silva To Test the Octagon Anew After Freak Leg Injury, To Fight Nick Diaz in 2015