'Sam and Cat's' Ariana Grande's 'Problem' Biggest Selling First Week Single of the Year
By Maychelle Ornos | May 7, 2014 8:29 AM EST
Despite the cancellation of Nickelodeon's "Sam & Cat," Ariana Grande has so many things to be thankful all because she has a great and promising career as a performer. Her recent single "Problem" featuring Iggy Azalea has been sitting comfortably on the top 10 songs with the biggest digital sales in the first week of release, according to the Billboard.
Singer Ariana Grande accepts the Kohl's new artist of the year award at the 41st American Music Awards in Los Angeles, California November 24, 2013. REUTERS/Lucy Nicholson
The premiere of the first single for her second album was made during the Radio Disney Music Awards, as reported by the Huffington Post. It is projected to sell more than 425,000 downloads in its first week but the final figure will be announced by Nielsen SoundScan on May 7.
The top spot for the biggest digital track sales is still with Flo Rida with his 2009 "Right Round." The song has a whopping 636,000 downloads in its first week, cementing him on the number one spot since then. Taylor Swift's "We Are Never Ever Getting Back Together" also has 623,000 sales in her belt.
If Ariana's "Problem" raises to the projected 425,000 download, it will be the fourth largest start for a woman following Taylor Swift, Katy Perry and Lady Gaga, according to Billboard. She is the youngest woman to break through the top with her massive sales.
This is big news as the rising star has been hounded by controversies related to the cancellation of her Nick show "Sam and Cat" and the speculated rift between her and Jennette McCurdy. Many of their fans are dismayed that the show will not continue for the second season as the characters were already loved by the viewers.
The singing career of the former "Victorious" actress has skyrocketed after the release of her first single "The Way." It was the forerunner for her "Yours Truly" album and the song debuted last March 26, 2013 becoming certified double platinum only after a few months, according to the RIAA.
"Arianators" will stay tuned for Ariana Grande's second album which might be due for release on September.
— Scooter Braun (@scooterbraun) May 5, 2014
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Kate Middleton Suffocated in Kensington Palace, Queen Elizabeth Reported War With The Duchess [PHOTOS]
- Chris Martin Dating Reports: Jennifer Lawrence Vs Gwyneth Paltrow [PHOTOS]
- 2014 MTV Video Music Awards: Everything To Know [PHOTOS]
- British Style Icon Kate Middleton Fashion Talk With Camilla Parker-Bowles Daughter-In-Law [PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- ‘The Bold And The Beautiful’ Spoilers For Aug. 21, 2014: A Party For Hope And Wyatt Affects Liam’s Pride In ‘B&B’ [WATCH VIDEO]
- ‘The Bold And The Beautiful’ Spoilers For Aug. 22, 2014: Liam’s Confession About Paris To Hope And Deacon’s Revelation To Brooke In ‘B&B’ [WATCH VIDEO]
- ‘The Walking Dead’ Season 5, Episode 1 Teaser Video: ‘What’s Coming Next’
- Chuck Zito Apologises For Offensive Comment On Christy Mack Beating
- ‘True Blood’ Final Episode Thank You: Watch Sookie Ask Whether God Made Us All, Find Out Why 'True Blood' Is Ending [VIDEO]
- James Foley Beheading Video Has Play-Acting Portions – Video Experts Say
- 4.7-Inch, 5.5-Inch iPhone 6 Models Confirmed with Similar Build, Cam Features & 300+ Screen Pixels on Release Date
- Apple iPhone 6 Release Date, iPhone 6C or 6L Anticipation: Three Things Should Matter To New Phone Shoppers
- Xiaomi Mi4 vs iPhone 6: Why Forecasts Favor Mi4 as The Next Best Phone Against iPhone 6
- James Foley: More Chilling Information Revealed By Escaped Journalists
- Companies Push Back IPO Plans Due to Mega Alibaba Share Launch
- Samsung Galaxy Note 4 Release Date Update: 4 Feature Upgrades That Really Matter