'Sam and Cat's' Ariana Grande's 'Problem' Biggest Selling First Week Single of the Year
By Maychelle Ornos | May 7, 2014 8:29 AM EST
Despite the cancellation of Nickelodeon's "Sam & Cat," Ariana Grande has so many things to be thankful all because she has a great and promising career as a performer. Her recent single "Problem" featuring Iggy Azalea has been sitting comfortably on the top 10 songs with the biggest digital sales in the first week of release, according to the Billboard.
Singer Ariana Grande accepts the Kohl's new artist of the year award at the 41st American Music Awards in Los Angeles, California November 24, 2013. REUTERS/Lucy Nicholson
The premiere of the first single for her second album was made during the Radio Disney Music Awards, as reported by the Huffington Post. It is projected to sell more than 425,000 downloads in its first week but the final figure will be announced by Nielsen SoundScan on May 7.
The top spot for the biggest digital track sales is still with Flo Rida with his 2009 "Right Round." The song has a whopping 636,000 downloads in its first week, cementing him on the number one spot since then. Taylor Swift's "We Are Never Ever Getting Back Together" also has 623,000 sales in her belt.
If Ariana's "Problem" raises to the projected 425,000 download, it will be the fourth largest start for a woman following Taylor Swift, Katy Perry and Lady Gaga, according to Billboard. She is the youngest woman to break through the top with her massive sales.
This is big news as the rising star has been hounded by controversies related to the cancellation of her Nick show "Sam and Cat" and the speculated rift between her and Jennette McCurdy. Many of their fans are dismayed that the show will not continue for the second season as the characters were already loved by the viewers.
The singing career of the former "Victorious" actress has skyrocketed after the release of her first single "The Way." It was the forerunner for her "Yours Truly" album and the song debuted last March 26, 2013 becoming certified double platinum only after a few months, according to the RIAA.
"Arianators" will stay tuned for Ariana Grande's second album which might be due for release on September.
— Scooter Braun (@scooterbraun) May 5, 2014
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Typhoon Rammasun Claims 18 Lives in China, Incurs $4.32B Losses (PHOTOS)
- National Ice Cream Day: Most-Ordered Flavors and Toppings by Americans [See Photos]
- Photos from the Crash Site of Malaysia Airlines MH17 In Ukraine
Join the Conversation
- Bachelorette 2014, Bachelor 2015 Spoilers: Andi Dorfman Hints at Next Bachelor; Find Out What He Thinks About the Job
- Castle Season 7 Spoilers: Stana Katic says ‘Back in the Saddle’, Beckett, Castle Romance to Grow Stronger
- Star Wars Episode VII: Jedi Master's Search, Luke's Lightsaber From the Sky
- Avengers 2: Ultron's First Attack On The Avengers, More Details on the Avengers Tower Party
- Orange is the New Black Update: Reality T.V. Star to Appear in Season 3, Actor Says Show can Run for Long Time, even with New Protagonist
- iPhone 6 2014 Release Date Very Soon as Apple Orders 120M New iPhones from Foxconn – Report
- Google Nexus 6 on Release Date Will Sport 2K Display Panel & Lower Price Tag – Report
- Motorola Moto G Vs. Xiaomi Mi3 – Low in Price, High -level Features
- FCC Approves Sony Xperia Z3 for U.S. Market