'Sam and Cat's' Ariana Grande's 'Problem' Biggest Selling First Week Single of the Year
By Maychelle Ornos | May 7, 2014 8:29 AM EST
Despite the cancellation of Nickelodeon's "Sam & Cat," Ariana Grande has so many things to be thankful all because she has a great and promising career as a performer. Her recent single "Problem" featuring Iggy Azalea has been sitting comfortably on the top 10 songs with the biggest digital sales in the first week of release, according to the Billboard.
Singer Ariana Grande accepts the Kohl's new artist of the year award at the 41st American Music Awards in Los Angeles, California November 24, 2013. REUTERS/Lucy Nicholson
The premiere of the first single for her second album was made during the Radio Disney Music Awards, as reported by the Huffington Post. It is projected to sell more than 425,000 downloads in its first week but the final figure will be announced by Nielsen SoundScan on May 7.
The top spot for the biggest digital track sales is still with Flo Rida with his 2009 "Right Round." The song has a whopping 636,000 downloads in its first week, cementing him on the number one spot since then. Taylor Swift's "We Are Never Ever Getting Back Together" also has 623,000 sales in her belt.
If Ariana's "Problem" raises to the projected 425,000 download, it will be the fourth largest start for a woman following Taylor Swift, Katy Perry and Lady Gaga, according to Billboard. She is the youngest woman to break through the top with her massive sales.
This is big news as the rising star has been hounded by controversies related to the cancellation of her Nick show "Sam and Cat" and the speculated rift between her and Jennette McCurdy. Many of their fans are dismayed that the show will not continue for the second season as the characters were already loved by the viewers.
The singing career of the former "Victorious" actress has skyrocketed after the release of her first single "The Way." It was the forerunner for her "Yours Truly" album and the song debuted last March 26, 2013 becoming certified double platinum only after a few months, according to the RIAA.
"Arianators" will stay tuned for Ariana Grande's second album which might be due for release on September.
— Scooter Braun (@scooterbraun) May 5, 2014
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
Join the Conversation
- Portia De Rossi And Ellen DeGeneres Address 'Epic Fight' Story
- 'NCIS' Season 12, Episode 6 Spoilers: Abby Sciuto Talks Of Cote de Pablo's Character, 'I Loved Ziva But She Left Us' (Review)
- 'The Bold And The Beautiful' Spoilers For Oct. 29, 2014: Caroline Is Remorseful About What Happened To Her And Ridge While Katie Is Fuming [WATCH VIDEO]
- 'Star Wars: Episode 7' Leaked Image Of New Villain Clutching Red Lightsaber [Spoilers]
- 'The Walking Dead' Star Norman Reedus Bashes The Report That He Begged The Producers Not To Turn Daryl Dixon Gay
- Marvel Announces Release Dates Of 11 Upcoming Movies From 2015 To 2019
- Xiaomi Becomes World’s Third Largest Smartphone Manufacturer By Dethroning Huawei
- Entry Of Peshmerga Fighters From Iraq Boosts The Kobani Battle Against ISIS: Turkey Provides Transit
- Nexus 6, 9 Buyers on November Release Will Enjoy These 3 Killer Lollipop 5.0 Features First
- Woman Hanged In Iran Talks Abuse In Prison, Left Chilling Message To Family
- Xiaomi VP Hugo Barra Says ‘Apple iPhone 6 Is The Most Beautiful Smartphone Ever Built’
- Vivo Rumoured To Be Building World’s Thinnest Smartphone With 3.8 MM Thickness