Watch Pollard and Starc Go Head-to-Head: MI vs RCB Highlights
By Deepak Vikraman | May 7, 2014 4:59 AM EST
Kieron Pollard and Mitchell Starc heated things up a little in the middle with the Mumbai Indians coming away with a comfortable victory over the Royal Challengers Bangalore in a charged-up IPL 2014 contest at the Wankhede Stadium.
The Mumbai Indians, after being asked to bat first, put on 187 for five in their 20 overs, with Pollard, who had a spat with RCB bowler Starc in the field, and Rohit Sharma scoring big runs.
In reply, RCB got off to a quick start, but failed to maintain the momentum, eventually falling 19 runs short to finish on 168 for eight.
"It was a very gettable total but we should have made smarter decisions," a disappointed RCB captain Kohli said. "We had a dream start but we couldn't capitalise. One more partnership would have done it but weren't able to do it.
"At this stage, every point is vital and everyone wants to do well. It is important how you move on from a loss, we were short by 19 runs and if we had applied ourselves better, we could have made it home. However, we know we have the men who can do it and we can take plenty of positives from tonight."
Rohit Sharma, who was the man of the match as well for his half-century in the first innings, was understandably ecstatic with his team's performance, with everyone putting their hands up in a complete victory.
"This is easily the best game we have played this season," Rohit said at the presentation ceremony. "We probably did everything right, straight from ball one. We batted, bowled and fielded well -- we took some great catches tonight -- so full credit to the boys.
"I am very proud of our bowling unit. It wasn't easy for them, there is always some dew around at the end of the innings at the Wankhede and they dealt with it superbly."
"It was also important for me to step up and I'm glad I played an important knock. We're keeping our heads up. We need to be positive. Next game against CSK is also very important."
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Flight MH17 Attack: Russians Claim 'Putin A Terrorist,' Memorial at Dutch Embassy Overflows [PHOTOS]
- Typhoon Rammasun Claims 18 Lives in China, Incurs $4.32B Losses (PHOTOS)
- Ellen DeGeneres Caught Cheating with Mutual Friend Before Portia de Rossi’s Rehab – Reports [PHOTOS]
- Typhoon Matmo Leaves 32k Customers w/o Electricity in Taiwan, Weakens After Landing in China
Join the Conversation
- Roger Federer Tops Forbes’ List of Most Financially Valuable Athlete; Maria Sharapova and Li Na Also Make the Cut
- Eugenie Bouchard Fires Warning To Serena Williams; She Wants No.1 Ranking
- Transfer News: Real Madrid Unveil Galactico James Rodriguez [PHOTOS]
- Rafael Nadal Set To Overtake Roger Federer Grand Slam Haul By 2017
- Roger Federer Regains Deadly Service Game - Andy Roddick
- Samsung Galaxy Note 4 Apps Leak Online, Five Fresh Features to Expect from the Android Smartphone
- Moto 360 Price Speculations, Key Features, Strategic Release Date, Design: A Watch That is More Than Just Time
- Windows Phone 8.1 Update Rollout: 20 Nokia Lumia Phones Eligible and 13 New Features to be Added
- HTC Google Nexus 8 Release Date Imminent with New Nexus 7 Deals, Two New Tablets Soon
- Three New Moto G Successors Spotted in FCC Document Dubbed Moto G2, Moto M and More --Reports
- iPad Air 2 Release Date Will Skip IGZO Panel; To Rollout with Super-Slim iPad Mini Air
- Upcoming iPad Mini 3 Could be 30% Thinner and Likely be Called iPad Mini Air; Apple Q3 Results Show 9% Decrease in iPad Sales