DOTA 2 Players Surpass World of Warcraft Subscribers, Reaches 7.86 Million
By Aditya Bhat | May 6, 2014 11:53 PM EST
Developer and publisher Valve Corporation has revealed that the multiplayer online battle arena (MOBA) video game DOTA 2 has surpassed the number of subscribers of developer and publisher Blizzard Entertainment's massively multiplayer online role-playing game (MMORPG) World of Warcraft.
DOTA 2 was released for PC on 9 July, 2013
Dagla, a Reddit user, noticed that DOTA 2's official blog page, which houses a counter tracking where the number of unique players are tracked, showed the number of players as 7.86 million. This exceeded the number of subscribers World of Warcraft had. When Activision shared the details, it had reported 7.8 million subscribers.
World of Warcraft subscribers will have to shell out $15 in order to access the game every month, compared to DOTA 2 which is free-to-play and also allows players to access all the characters in the game for no cost at all, GameSpot reported.
DOTA 2 earns money via sales of cosmetic items, new announcer voice packs and other similar things. It is a very small amount of players, and according to a report, just 2.2 percent of them spend money.
A movie, titled 'Free to Play', was released by Valve in April, showcasing some of the stories of the DOTA 2 players as they begin to play the first-ever DOTA 2 International Tournament. The developer also released the Spring Cleaning update for the game that brought in fixes for the bugs and changes.
DOTA 2 has two main factions facing off - the Radiant and the Dire. The game's map is symmetrical but both sides of the factions get advantages and disadvantages. The game has nine modes and 107 heroes. The game has seen positive reviews by critics and has won a number of awards.
DOTA 2 was released initially for PC on 9 July, and later for Linux and Mac on 18 July. It is powered by Source engine.
To report problems or to leave feedback about this article, e-mail:
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
Join the Conversation
- Motorola Droid Turbo v. Sony Xperia Z3: Camera Details, Battery Life And Durability
- ‘GTA V': 1.18 Update, Zombie DLC Release Date To Welcome Halloween
- Motorola Droid Turbo vs. Samsung Galaxy S5: Apps And Services, Camera Features, Battery Life And Durability
- ‘Destiny' Leaks Reveal Redesigned Ships, New Armour, Sparrow Shaders
- Google Nexus 6 Sold-Out Inventory: Android 5.0, Motorola-Nexus Branding, Network Carriers, Competitive Price
- Marvel Announces Release Dates Of 11 Upcoming Movies From 2015 To 2019
- Xiaomi Becomes World’s Third Largest Smartphone Manufacturer By Dethroning Huawei
- Entry Of Peshmerga Fighters From Iraq Boosts The Kobani Battle Against ISIS: Turkey Provides Transit
- Nexus 6, 9 Buyers on November Release Will Enjoy These 3 Killer Lollipop 5.0 Features First
- Woman Hanged In Iran Talks Abuse In Prison, Left Chilling Message To Family
- Xiaomi VP Hugo Barra Says ‘Apple iPhone 6 Is The Most Beautiful Smartphone Ever Built’
- Vivo Rumoured To Be Building World’s Thinnest Smartphone With 3.8 MM Thickness