DOTA 2 Players Surpass World of Warcraft Subscribers, Reaches 7.86 Million
By Aditya Bhat | May 6, 2014 11:53 PM EST
Developer and publisher Valve Corporation has revealed that the multiplayer online battle arena (MOBA) video game DOTA 2 has surpassed the number of subscribers of developer and publisher Blizzard Entertainment's massively multiplayer online role-playing game (MMORPG) World of Warcraft.
DOTA 2 was released for PC on 9 July, 2013
Dagla, a Reddit user, noticed that DOTA 2's official blog page, which houses a counter tracking where the number of unique players are tracked, showed the number of players as 7.86 million. This exceeded the number of subscribers World of Warcraft had. When Activision shared the details, it had reported 7.8 million subscribers.
World of Warcraft subscribers will have to shell out $15 in order to access the game every month, compared to DOTA 2 which is free-to-play and also allows players to access all the characters in the game for no cost at all, GameSpot reported.
DOTA 2 earns money via sales of cosmetic items, new announcer voice packs and other similar things. It is a very small amount of players, and according to a report, just 2.2 percent of them spend money.
A movie, titled 'Free to Play', was released by Valve in April, showcasing some of the stories of the DOTA 2 players as they begin to play the first-ever DOTA 2 International Tournament. The developer also released the Spring Cleaning update for the game that brought in fixes for the bugs and changes.
DOTA 2 has two main factions facing off - the Radiant and the Dire. The game's map is symmetrical but both sides of the factions get advantages and disadvantages. The game has nine modes and 107 heroes. The game has seen positive reviews by critics and has won a number of awards.
DOTA 2 was released initially for PC on 9 July, and later for Linux and Mac on 18 July. It is powered by Source engine.
To report problems or to leave feedback about this article, e-mail:
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Global Aviation Accidents: UN to Form Safety Task Force, Gov'ts Should Share Intelligence Info to Avert Future Incidents on Flying Over Warzones (PHOTOS)
- PageSix: Beyonce & Jay Z Union is Not About Love, All About Business & the Brand
- Kate Middleton & Prince William Taking a Time Off in August Amidst Miscarriage & Adopting a Child Claims
- Lunch with the Gods: Pope Francis Eats with Vatican Workers in Cafeteria
Join the Conversation
- Pokemon Omega Ruby and Alpha Sapphire Speculations for Mega Evolutions; X and Y Double Battles Detailed
- Destiny News: Burning Questions Answered, New Info for Game Spotted and New Artwork Showcased
- Sony Xperia T3 vs. HTC Desire 816 Specs and Price Comparison in Australia
- OnePlus One vs. iPhone 5S Specs and Price Comparison in Australia
- HTC Desire 516 vs. Motorola Moto G Specs and Price Comparison in Australia
- Apple iPhone 6 Release Date Update: 6 Most Wanted Feature Upgrades for Next iPhone
- HTC One M8 Windows Phone to Launch for Verizon; Release Date, Price, Five Fresh Features to Anticipate for New Smartphone
- OnePlus One vs. Moto X+1 – Early Specifications, Release Date and Price Faceoff
- Galaxy Note 4 Release Date Ahead of iPhone 6 Sept 2014 Debut; Specced-Up but Remains Plastic-Wrapped – Reports
- LG G2 Android 4.4.4 KitKat Guide: When to Hit Your Region and How to Install
- Update Samsung Galaxy S4 Mini with Android 4.4.2 KitKat
- LG G3 To Debut Moon Violet and Burgundy Red Shades in August; Upcoming LG Devices Roundup