DOTA 2 Players Surpass World of Warcraft Subscribers, Reaches 7.86 Million
By Aditya Bhat | May 6, 2014 11:53 PM EST
Developer and publisher Valve Corporation has revealed that the multiplayer online battle arena (MOBA) video game DOTA 2 has surpassed the number of subscribers of developer and publisher Blizzard Entertainment's massively multiplayer online role-playing game (MMORPG) World of Warcraft.
DOTA 2 was released for PC on 9 July, 2013
Dagla, a Reddit user, noticed that DOTA 2's official blog page, which houses a counter tracking where the number of unique players are tracked, showed the number of players as 7.86 million. This exceeded the number of subscribers World of Warcraft had. When Activision shared the details, it had reported 7.8 million subscribers.
World of Warcraft subscribers will have to shell out $15 in order to access the game every month, compared to DOTA 2 which is free-to-play and also allows players to access all the characters in the game for no cost at all, GameSpot reported.
DOTA 2 earns money via sales of cosmetic items, new announcer voice packs and other similar things. It is a very small amount of players, and according to a report, just 2.2 percent of them spend money.
A movie, titled 'Free to Play', was released by Valve in April, showcasing some of the stories of the DOTA 2 players as they begin to play the first-ever DOTA 2 International Tournament. The developer also released the Spring Cleaning update for the game that brought in fixes for the bugs and changes.
DOTA 2 has two main factions facing off - the Radiant and the Dire. The game's map is symmetrical but both sides of the factions get advantages and disadvantages. The game has nine modes and 107 heroes. The game has seen positive reviews by critics and has won a number of awards.
DOTA 2 was released initially for PC on 9 July, and later for Linux and Mac on 18 July. It is powered by Source engine.
To report problems or to leave feedback about this article, e-mail:
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
Join the Conversation
- Android 5.0 Lollipop Update Roundup: HTC, Google, LG, Motorola, Xolo, OnePlus, Samsung And Sony Upgrade Plans
- Sony Teases PS4 2.0 System Software Update As Sony Xperia Z2 And Z2 Tablet Get Remote Play
- 'Destiny' Third Subclass Weapon Upgrades: Super And Grenade Modifications Leaked [Video]
- ‘GTA V’ 1.18 Update: Heists, Zombies, Hydra Jets DLC Seemingly Possible
- ‘Destiny’ ‘The Dark Below’ DLC: XP Boosters, New Armours Revealed, Atheon Fixes
- iOS 8 Jailbreak Release Date Likely this October 2014 with Pangu not Evad3rs Firming Up as Creator
- Chilling: New ISIS Video Addresses Australia; Aussie Teen Delivers Message
- The Pirate Bay Blockade: Cost Of Blocking Websites Like TPB Is Ridiculously High
- Xiaomi Mi4 And MiPad Prices Likely Slashed, Thanks To Rivals Oppo, OnePlus And Meizu
- Top 4 Free-To-Download Apps for Fuller iPhone 6, 6 Plus Experience
- Battery Saving Android 5.0 Lollipop Feature Extends The Battery Life Of Your Android Device By 90 Minutes And Displays Orange Bar While Power Saving Mode Is On
- Russia Beefs Up Gold Reserves To Offset Heat of Sanctions And Undercut Dollar