'Kochadaiiyaan' ('Vikramasimha') Box Office: Will Rajinikanth Starrer Strike Gold or Fizzle Out?
By sangeetha seshagiri | May 6, 2014 9:45 PM EST
Rajinikanth in "Kochadaiiyaan" (Credit: Soundarya Ashwin/Twitter)
The most-awaited film "Kochadaiiyaan" ("Vikramasimha" in Telugu), starring superstar Rajinikanth, is all set to hit the screens on 9 May.
After nearly four years, fans of thalaivar are eagerly waiting to see him on screen. However, they will be seeing the superstar as the 3D animated character in the film.
"Kochadaiiyaan" will introduce a new technology to the Indian film industry - motion capture photo-realistic 3D animation. This advanced technology involves capturing the performances of the actors and translating into a digital image. The film uses the same technology used in Hollywood projects such as "Avatar" and "Tin Tin." However, the makers of "Kochadaiiyaan" feel that the film should not be compared with the Hollywood projects as the budget and the time spent on the project is way lesser than those films.
According to them, "Avatar" was made at a cost of ₹3,000 crore and took five years for the final product, whereas "Tin Tin" was made on a budget of ₹4,000 crore and also took about five years to get completed. In comparison, "Kochadaiiyaan" has been made on a budget of ₹125 crore and has been completed in two years.
When "Kochadaiiyaan" went on floors, the film generated a lot of buzz that one usually associates with a superstar film. The fact that the film, directed by Soundarya Rajini, will show Rajinikanth in a 3D character has kindled the curiosity among fans.
However, when "Kochadaiiyaan" teaser was released last month, it received mixed reviews about the film's animation and special effects. Though the teaser fetched mixed feedback, most of Rajinikanth's loyal fans made up for it as they raved about the superstar's new style in the big-budget project.
In March this year, the film's audio and the trailer were released in a grand manner. The songs, composed by AR Rahman, was received well by the audience. The trailer was an instant hit as it showcased Rajinikanth's style and punch lines.
Rajinikanth's presence and the promotional activities for the film have triggered a lot of expectations among fans. The film is gearing for a massive release worldwide with some theatres having started the advance bookings for the Rajini starrer.
"Kochadaiiyaan" is all set to take a fantastic opening at the box office in its first weekend. However, the film's performance will depend on the feedback received from the critics as well as from the audience. The major highlights of the film are Rajinikanth's character, war scenes, fight sequences, Shiva thaandav and songs. Moreover, veteran actor Nagesh has been brought to life using the cutting-edge technology.
Although the film has a lot of positive elements, there are still chances that the film might fail to impress the audience as it is not a regular commercial entertainer that is associated with the superstar. "Kochadaiiyaan" is a period film set in the king's era with Rajinikanth appearing in dual roles. For those who wanted to see their thalaivar in his real self, "Kochadaiiyaan" might turn out to be a disappointment as the actor will appear as an animated character. The mixed reactions fetched by the teaser and the trailer (suggesting that the film's computer generated imagery quality is poor and not up to the mark ) might well turn out to be the negative aspect of the film and affect its business.
One needs to wait and watch to find out how "Kochadaiiyaan" performs at the box office. Rajinikanth's last two films - "Shivaji" and "Enthiran" - set the box office on fire. Will the actor be able to continue his hit strike?
Soundarya - Direction
AR Rahman - Music Composer
Rajiv Menon - Cinematography
Anthony - Editing
Production: Eros International and Media One Global Entertainment
Image credit: Soundarya Ashwin/Twitter
To report problems or to leave feedback about this article, e-mail:
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- NFL MNF: Pittsburgh Steelers 30, Houston Texans 23 [PHOTOS]
- 2014 MLB World Series Game 1: San Francisco Giants 7, Kansas City Royals 1 [PHOTOS]
- 2014 MLB World Series - Game 2: Kansas City Royals 7, San Francisco Giants 2 [PHOTOS]
- Prince Harry Kissing Mystery Blond, Cressida Bonas & Camilla Thurlow Are Distant Memory
Join the Conversation
- Ian Somerhalder Girlfriend: 'Twilight' Actress Nikki Reed Heads Back To Los Angeles Solo, Spotted Partying With Michelle Rodriguez At A Fashion Event
- ‘Big Brother Australia’ Evictee Jason Rose Opens Up About His Family’s Acceptance of His Sexuality, Cat and Lawson’s Illicit Love Affair [VIDEO]
- 'Arrow' Season 3, Episode 3 Spoilers: Merlyn vs Queen; Thea Reborn; Felicity Smoak Gets New Boss [Watch Arrow 3x03 Promo Video]
- ‘The Young And The Restless’ Spoilers For Oct. 23: Find Out What Happens When Phyllis Meets Kelly
- ‘Avengers: Age of Ultron' Teaser Trailer: Fans' Cry At ‘Epic’ Footage, Vision Not Featured
- ASUS Releases A Teaser Indicating The Arrival of New Zenfone and ZenWatch On October 28
- Boy Stoned To Death For Alleged Rape, Victim Receives Dowry From Militants
- Three Dual SIM Samsung Galaxy Note 4 Duos Variants Comes To China
- Russia is Creating Underwater Combat Robots to Protect its Arctic Territories
- Xiaomi Redmi 1S vs. Sharp Aquos Crystal – Specifications, Features And Price Showdown
- ‘Lone Wolf’ Attack on Canada Parliament Hill Could be ISIS-Related
- Swedish Military Spots ‘Russian Submarine’ Off Stockholm Coast, An Alarming ‘Security Game Changer’