Chelsea FC Transfer News: Blues Defender Agrees to Join Barcelona on a Five-Year Deal
By Mark Wayne Eubank | May 6, 2014 9:44 PM EST
Chelsea defender David Luiz has reportedly agreed to join La Liga giants FC Barcelona this summer.
Football Direct News claims that the Brazilian international has signed a five-year deal with the Catalan side, which will take effect once the summer window opens.
Chelsea defender David Luiz has reportedly signed a five-year deal with Barcelona that will take effect in the upcoming transfer window
The 27-year-old is a key member of Jose Mourinho's squad in the ongoing campaign, but has found himself out of his preferred position - in the middle of the back-line - being deployed as a defensive midfielder at times.
Nevertheless, he is seen as a perfect fit to Barca's system since he is a centre-back who is comfortable with the ball.
Luiz still has three more years in his contract after this season, but an unclear participation in the plans of the "Special One" might compel him to move to a club that would guarantee him a regular spot in the starting eleven.
The Blaugrana are trying to maximise FIFA's temporary lift of the recent transfer ban imposed on them, however, a fee has yet to be reached, with the west Londoners unwilling to receive an amount less than £20million.
Join the Conversation
- Mayweather vs. Pacquiao Purse Split: $100M For American, $60M For Filipino— Report
- Boxing Analyst John Scully Says Floyd Mayweather Is Slipping But Manny Pacquiao Won’t Win In Super Fight In 2015
- Meet Paige VanZant, The Next UFC Sensation In The Women's Division
- Freddie Roach Provoking ‘Washed-Up’ Floyd Mayweather Jr., Says Manny Pacquiao Will KO Undefeated American
- Sharapova, Halep, Ivanovic, Wozniacki, Kvitova, Radwanska, Kerber Make Early Commitment To Stuttgart Open
- Russia Is Ready for Shooting War, Will Likely Win Looming Nuclear Showdown with U.S. – Report
- Black Friday And Cyber Monday Sale 2014: AT&T's Cricket Wireless Offers Discounts On Lumia 1320, Galaxy S5, S4 And HTC Desire 510
- Microsoft Band Runs Out Of Stock, But Offers $10 Gift Voucher To Wait-Listed Customers
- ISIS Kidnaps Iraqi Defence Minister’s Family, Executes Female Parliament Candidates
- '$2,000 For Sex'—Pleads Unlucky-in-Love Guy On OKCupid
- Google Joins Forces with GoPro Inc with New Google Maps Focusing on Destination
- Target Early Black Friday 2014 Sale Ad Released For Nov. 26, 2014 Includes Deals On Toys, HDTVs And Video Games Such As ‘FIFA 15’ And ‘NHL 15’ For Xbox 360 [WATCH VIDEO]