Supreme Court Orders Sahara Chief to Remain in Jail
May 6, 2014 6:34 PM EST
The Supreme Court on Tuesday rejected an appeal to release Sahara conglomerate Chairman Subrata Roy, who has been in jail for two months over his group's alleged failure to refund investors in an outlawed bonds scheme.
Sahara Chief Subrato Roy was attacked by black ink on Tuesday as he arrived at the Supreme Court.
The 65-year-old chairman was detained on Feb. 28 after failing to appear at a contempt hearing, and has been in a Delhi jail since March 4. Roy, who has denied any wrongdoing, has yet to be formally charged.
The court had asked the group to make an interim payment of 100 billion rupees ($1.7 billion) to secure Roy's release on bail. Last month, Sahara proposed to the court paying the money in installments, saying the amount was too large to be paid in one go.
On Tuesday, the court rejected the proposal, and asked Sahara to come up with another repayment schedule.
Sahara officials were not immediately available to comment after the ruling was pronounced. Keshav Mohan, one of the lawyers representing the group, said the company may consider making a new proposal, but declined to specify a date.
The regulator accuses Sahara of raising billions of dollars from small investors through an outlawed financial scheme and failing to comply with a court order to refund the money.
Sahara argues it has repaid most investors and that its total liability is less than the 51.2 billion rupees it had deposited with the regulator after the bonds were outlawed.
The unlisted conglomerate is best known as the lead sponsor of the Indian cricket team and more recently as a buyer of overseas luxury hotels.
Based in Lucknow, the capital of Uttar Pradesh, Roy calls himself managing worker and chairman of Sahara, and "chief guardian" of the world's biggest family, with nearly a million staff and agents. The conglomerate's full name is Sahara India Pariwar, which means family.
Most Popular Slideshows
Join the Conversation
- Kate Middleton Pregnancy Update: Duchess Spotted All Smiles, Sickness Seems Over
- 2014 Meteor Shower: Slooh To Have Live Broadcast Of Orionids Meteor Shower October 21 Peak, NASA Assures Ideal Observing Conditions
- Kate Middleton To Give Birth To A 'Cheerful' Baby, Duchess Not Carrying Twins---Report
- Woman Stuck In Chimney: Genoveva Nunez-Figueroa Arrested For Attempted Break-In After Rescue Team Pulls Stuck Woman Out Of Chimney
- 63-Year-Old Admits He Has Made Love To More Than 700 Cars But Now Remains Faithful To Just One Beetle
- iOS 8 Jailbreak Release Date Likely this October 2014 with Pangu not Evad3rs Firming Up as Creator
- Chilling: New ISIS Video Addresses Australia; Aussie Teen Delivers Message
- Xiaomi Mi4 And MiPad Prices Likely Slashed, Thanks To Rivals Oppo, OnePlus And Meizu
- Top 4 Free-To-Download Apps for Fuller iPhone 6, 6 Plus Experience
- The Pirate Bay Blockade: Cost Of Blocking Websites Like TPB Is Ridiculously High
- Battery Saving Android 5.0 Lollipop Feature Extends The Battery Life Of Your Android Device By 90 Minutes And Displays Orange Bar While Power Saving Mode Is On
- Apple Inc. (AAPL) Stock Set to Soar Beyond $100 Despite Decline After New iPad Launch