Supreme Court Orders Sahara Chief to Remain in Jail
May 6, 2014 6:34 PM EST
The Supreme Court on Tuesday rejected an appeal to release Sahara conglomerate Chairman Subrata Roy, who has been in jail for two months over his group's alleged failure to refund investors in an outlawed bonds scheme.
Sahara Chief Subrato Roy was attacked by black ink on Tuesday as he arrived at the Supreme Court.
The 65-year-old chairman was detained on Feb. 28 after failing to appear at a contempt hearing, and has been in a Delhi jail since March 4. Roy, who has denied any wrongdoing, has yet to be formally charged.
The court had asked the group to make an interim payment of 100 billion rupees ($1.7 billion) to secure Roy's release on bail. Last month, Sahara proposed to the court paying the money in installments, saying the amount was too large to be paid in one go.
On Tuesday, the court rejected the proposal, and asked Sahara to come up with another repayment schedule.
Sahara officials were not immediately available to comment after the ruling was pronounced. Keshav Mohan, one of the lawyers representing the group, said the company may consider making a new proposal, but declined to specify a date.
The regulator accuses Sahara of raising billions of dollars from small investors through an outlawed financial scheme and failing to comply with a court order to refund the money.
Sahara argues it has repaid most investors and that its total liability is less than the 51.2 billion rupees it had deposited with the regulator after the bonds were outlawed.
The unlisted conglomerate is best known as the lead sponsor of the Indian cricket team and more recently as a buyer of overseas luxury hotels.
Based in Lucknow, the capital of Uttar Pradesh, Roy calls himself managing worker and chairman of Sahara, and "chief guardian" of the world's biggest family, with nearly a million staff and agents. The conglomerate's full name is Sahara India Pariwar, which means family.
Join the Conversation
- Image Of An Alien Revealed By US Intelligence Agent Suggests Existence Of Extraterrestrial Life -- Report
- US Police Officers Shoot 12-Year-Old Child ‘By Mistake’
- Woman Charged For Leaving Her Baby in Drain in Australia Needs 'Compassion' Says Social Worker
- [In Pictures] Police Fire As Protest Turns Into ‘Riot’ After Grand Jury Decision on Ferguson Shooting
- New Zealanders in Australia Consider Moving Back to Home Country For Better Life
- Russia Is Ready for Shooting War, Will Likely Win Looming Nuclear Showdown with U.S. – Report
- Microsoft Band Runs Out Of Stock, But Offers $10 Gift Voucher To Wait-Listed Customers
- Google Joins Forces with GoPro Inc with New Google Maps Focusing on Destination
- Target Early Black Friday 2014 Sale Ad Released For Nov. 26, 2014 Includes Deals On Toys, HDTVs And Video Games Such As ‘FIFA 15’ And ‘NHL 15’ For Xbox 360 [WATCH VIDEO]
- 16GB iPhone 6 for $99 at Sam’s Club is the Best 2014 Black Friday Deal Around
- Lumia Update Will Come Soon Confirms Microsoft
- Black Friday And Cyber Monday Sale 2014: AT&T's Cricket Wireless Offers Discounts On Lumia 1320, Galaxy S5, S4 And HTC Desire 510