Golf News: Tiger Woods Unsure When to Return to Golf Course after Back Surgery
By Tarish Bhat | May 6, 2014 5:52 PM EST
Looks like world number one golfer Tiger Woods will be out of action for a long period of time, as he is gradually healing from the back surgery and is unsure about when he will return to the golf course.
World number one Tiger Woods is unsure when he will return to the golf course.
The 38-year-old Woods, who last competed in the WGC-Cadillac Championship and has been out of action since March, posted an update regarding his condition on his website. Woods said that it is tough for him bend down to collect the ball from the hole.
"My recovery is coming along, but it's a very slow process," Woods said. "I'm still sore. Not from the procedure itself but the incision. I just need to get back to my day-to-day activities, and that's it.
"As for my return to golf, I really don't know," he said. "I'm doing everything I can and listening to my doctors and working on a strength program, and then we just have to see how my back is. Some people heal up in three months, some people take four months, some people take longer. I just don't know."
A three-month absence from the competition means, Woods will have to miss the US Open starting June 12 and the Open at Royal Liverpool beginning July 17. For the first time in his career, Woods missed the Masters tournament in April, but reckons that it wasn't as hard as people think.
"Not being able to play for the first time wasn't as hard for me as you might think," said Woods. "I've missed major championships before, so this was not a new experience. It helps when I'm physically unable to play the game."
The world number one is expected to make a return at the British Open at Hoylake, the tournament he has won before, but it is uncertain what measures Woods would be required to take for protecting his back.
"Once I begin swinging a club again, I'm not sure if I will have to make any changes to protect my back," Woods said.
"As far as limitations, it's a building process, just like when I came back from my knee and Achilles injuries. We have to make sure my back heals fine and I have the strength and mobility going forward."
To report problems or to leave feedback about this article, e-mail:
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Join the Conversation
- Boxing News: Pacquiao And Mayweather Might Meet 'In The First Six Months Of Next Year' - Bob Arum
- Boxing News 2014: Pacquiao Considers Ditching Jessica Sanchez To Sing Philippine National Anthem In Favour Of Born-Again Pastors; Stallone & Schwarzenegger to Watch Bout
- Michael Phelps' Lover Reveals She Was Born Intersex In Lengthy Facebook Post
- 2014 Davis Cup Final: Switzerland Vs. France - Roger Federer Vs. Gael Monfils Live Streaming Info and Preview
- Michael Schumacher Update: Rep Responds To Streiff’s Comments—‘He’s Neither A Friend Nor Has He Ever Visited Him’
- Walmart Early Price Matching Special Event On Nov. 21, 2014 Matches Its Competitors' Black Friday 2014 Prices And Includes Exclusive Deals For Samsung LED HDTVs And iPad Air 2 [WATCH VIDEO]
- US Plane Flying Over Russian Skies Spotted; Vladimir Putin Ready For 'Practical Cooperation' With US
- Black Friday 2014 Sale: Top Deals On Game Consoles Xbox One, PS4, Nintendo Wii U And More
- Walmart Pre-Black Friday 2014 Sale On Nov. 21, 2014 Includes Discounts On The 'NBA 2K15' For PS4 And The 'Skylanders Trap Team’ Starter Kit [WATCH VIDEO]
- Alleged 'Microsoft Lumia 1030' Front Panel Leaked With Capacitive Buttons; 'Xbox One' Owners To Get Free Goodies On Anniversary
- Nexus 6 Release Date And Price Under AT&T, T-Mobile And Sprint Listed
- More Bad News for Android 5.0 Lollipop As Problems Come In for Nexus and Other Devices