'Cinco de Mayo' Is A 'Dog Party'
By Tanya Diente | May 6, 2014 5:16 PM EST
"Cinco de Mayo" is the time to commemorate the history of the aboriginal people upon their triumph in the "Battle of Puebla" in Puebla, Mexico against the French in 1862.
Dancers from Ballet Folklorico Mexicano de Georgetown wait to perform at a Cinco de Mayo reception at the White House in Washington, May 3, 2012
It is celebrated on May 5 and usually in the United States and in Mexico, primarily in the state of Puebla, where they call the holiday El Día de la Batalla de Puebla (English: The Day of the Battle of Puebla).
Cinco de Mayo originated with the Mexican-American communities in the American West, as a way to celebrate their democracy during the first years of the American Civil War.
In Mexico, this is not considered as a National holiday but in the state of Puebla, it is an official holiday when students are off from school and employees get time to rest from work.
The celebration of "Cinco de Mayo" also occurs outside of the United States and Mexico. United States celebrates "Cinco de Mayo" through Mexican cuisine, culture and music. Street parades usually happen, as well as street musical events emphasizing on Mexican music.
People would dress up in Mexican outfits, colourful floral dresses for women and normally plain white collared shirt and black pants/slacks for men with matching sombreros.
However, it's not just people dressing up for the event. Dogs have also been seen wearing floral hats, ribbons, or dressed up in cute Mexican outfits to join in the celebration. The festivities is not complete without a little participation of these so called man's bestfriend, either they join the street parade, or eat the beef taco they see lying unattended on a picnic table.
Likewise, take a look at Pawnation's website to check out their own "Cinco de Mayo" dogs.
Twitter has been bombarded with all tweets of animals in their "Cinco de Mayo" costumes.
Pets that know how to celebrate Cinco de Mayo! http://t.co/dCEI9fAiTW
— Earthwhile Endeavors (@earthbath_pet) May 6, 2014
Below are cute videos of dogs in their "Cinco de Mayo" costumes and "Cinco de Mayo" tricks.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
Join the Conversation
- ‘The X Factor Australia’ Winner is Marlisa Punzalan; Dean Ray Finishes as Runner-Up [VIDEOS]
- ‘The Walking Dead’ Season 5, Episode 3 Promo, Spoilers: Find Out What Happens In ‘Four Walls And A Roof’
- ‘Big Brother Australia’ Housemate Lawson Chooses Cat Over GF, Kisses Cat in Bed [VIDEO]
- ‘Sons of Anarchy’ Season 7, Episode 7 Spoilers: Gemma’s World Starts To Crumble in ‘Greensleeves’ [VIDEO]
- 'American Horror Story' : Renewed For Season 5, Ryan Murphy Says 'We're Not Doing Space'
- iOS 8 Jailbreak Release Date Likely this October 2014 with Pangu not Evad3rs Firming Up as Creator
- Chilling: New ISIS Video Addresses Australia; Aussie Teen Delivers Message
- The Pirate Bay Blockade: Cost Of Blocking Websites Like TPB Is Ridiculously High
- Xiaomi Mi4 And MiPad Prices Likely Slashed, Thanks To Rivals Oppo, OnePlus And Meizu
- Top 4 Free-To-Download Apps for Fuller iPhone 6, 6 Plus Experience
- Battery Saving Android 5.0 Lollipop Feature Extends The Battery Life Of Your Android Device By 90 Minutes And Displays Orange Bar While Power Saving Mode Is On
- Russia Beefs Up Gold Reserves To Offset Heat of Sanctions And Undercut Dollar