'Cinco de Mayo' Is A 'Dog Party'
By Tanya Diente | May 6, 2014 5:16 PM EST
"Cinco de Mayo" is the time to commemorate the history of the aboriginal people upon their triumph in the "Battle of Puebla" in Puebla, Mexico against the French in 1862.
Dancers from Ballet Folklorico Mexicano de Georgetown wait to perform at a Cinco de Mayo reception at the White House in Washington, May 3, 2012
It is celebrated on May 5 and usually in the United States and in Mexico, primarily in the state of Puebla, where they call the holiday El Día de la Batalla de Puebla (English: The Day of the Battle of Puebla).
Cinco de Mayo originated with the Mexican-American communities in the American West, as a way to celebrate their democracy during the first years of the American Civil War.
In Mexico, this is not considered as a National holiday but in the state of Puebla, it is an official holiday when students are off from school and employees get time to rest from work.
The celebration of "Cinco de Mayo" also occurs outside of the United States and Mexico. United States celebrates "Cinco de Mayo" through Mexican cuisine, culture and music. Street parades usually happen, as well as street musical events emphasizing on Mexican music.
People would dress up in Mexican outfits, colourful floral dresses for women and normally plain white collared shirt and black pants/slacks for men with matching sombreros.
However, it's not just people dressing up for the event. Dogs have also been seen wearing floral hats, ribbons, or dressed up in cute Mexican outfits to join in the celebration. The festivities is not complete without a little participation of these so called man's bestfriend, either they join the street parade, or eat the beef taco they see lying unattended on a picnic table.
Likewise, take a look at Pawnation's website to check out their own "Cinco de Mayo" dogs.
Twitter has been bombarded with all tweets of animals in their "Cinco de Mayo" costumes.
Pets that know how to celebrate Cinco de Mayo! http://t.co/dCEI9fAiTW
— Earthwhile Endeavors (@earthbath_pet) May 6, 2014
Below are cute videos of dogs in their "Cinco de Mayo" costumes and "Cinco de Mayo" tricks.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Taylor Swift Named Forbes' Second Highest Paid Country Musician [PHOTOS]
- Forever Lost: Indescribable Anguish for Malaysia Airlines MH17 Families, Remains of Some Victims May Never Be Found (PHOTOS)
- Global Aviation Accidents: UN to Form Safety Task Force, Gov'ts Should Share Intelligence Info to Avert Future Incidents on Flying Over Warzones (PHOTOS)
- PageSix: Beyonce & Jay Z Union is Not About Love, All About Business & the Brand
Join the Conversation
- Orange is the New Black Season 3: Laura Prepon Hints Strain in Alex, Piper Relationship, New Actor Roped-in [Spoilers]
- The Big Bang Theory: Mayim Bialik Talks about Sheldon, Amy Kiss in Season 7 [KISS VIDEO]
- True Blood Spoilers: Alcide Killed because Season 7 is Bill, Sookie’s Season
- Queen Elizabeth and Kate Middleton Clash Again: Duchess Scared of Difficult Pregnancy, Adopting Second 'Royal' Baby - Reports
- Rob Kardashian's Ex-Girlfriend Adrienne Bailon FInally Removes Cheating Reality Star's Name from Her Butt
- Samsung Galaxy S5 Alpha Leaks Online: Release Date, Five Features to Wait for New Smart Phone
- Freshly Leaked Apple iPad Air 2 Cases Confirm Touch ID Sensor; Release Date, Limited Specs and Price Listed
- Photos of Motorola Moto X+1 Prototype and Specs Leak Online, Release Date, Four Fresh Features Revealed
- Sony Xperia Z3: Release Date, Five Features to Expect from New Android Smart Phone
- Moto X Android 4.4.4 KitKat Update Guide: Schedule and How to Install
- Top Surprising Features Of iOS 8
- Top 4 Reasons Why iPhone 6 Will Hit Big Soon After its Sept 2014 Release Date