'Cinco de Mayo' Is A 'Dog Party'
By Tanya Diente | May 6, 2014 5:16 PM EST
"Cinco de Mayo" is the time to commemorate the history of the aboriginal people upon their triumph in the "Battle of Puebla" in Puebla, Mexico against the French in 1862.
Dancers from Ballet Folklorico Mexicano de Georgetown wait to perform at a Cinco de Mayo reception at the White House in Washington, May 3, 2012
It is celebrated on May 5 and usually in the United States and in Mexico, primarily in the state of Puebla, where they call the holiday El Día de la Batalla de Puebla (English: The Day of the Battle of Puebla).
Cinco de Mayo originated with the Mexican-American communities in the American West, as a way to celebrate their democracy during the first years of the American Civil War.
In Mexico, this is not considered as a National holiday but in the state of Puebla, it is an official holiday when students are off from school and employees get time to rest from work.
The celebration of "Cinco de Mayo" also occurs outside of the United States and Mexico. United States celebrates "Cinco de Mayo" through Mexican cuisine, culture and music. Street parades usually happen, as well as street musical events emphasizing on Mexican music.
People would dress up in Mexican outfits, colourful floral dresses for women and normally plain white collared shirt and black pants/slacks for men with matching sombreros.
However, it's not just people dressing up for the event. Dogs have also been seen wearing floral hats, ribbons, or dressed up in cute Mexican outfits to join in the celebration. The festivities is not complete without a little participation of these so called man's bestfriend, either they join the street parade, or eat the beef taco they see lying unattended on a picnic table.
Likewise, take a look at Pawnation's website to check out their own "Cinco de Mayo" dogs.
Twitter has been bombarded with all tweets of animals in their "Cinco de Mayo" costumes.
Pets that know how to celebrate Cinco de Mayo! http://t.co/dCEI9fAiTW
— Earthwhile Endeavors (@earthbath_pet) May 6, 2014
Below are cute videos of dogs in their "Cinco de Mayo" costumes and "Cinco de Mayo" tricks.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
Join the Conversation
- ‘The Young And The Restless’ (Y&R) Nov. 24 – 28 Plus Thanksgiving Special Spoilers: Someone Returns, Kelly Finds Out About Engagement And More [Videos]
- ‘The Walking Dead’ Season 5 Spoilers: Rick Grimes’ Group To Capture Cops In Episode 7 – ‘Crossed’
- ‘The Walking Dead’ Season 5, Episode 7 Spoilers, Air Date: Where To Watch Online, Live Stream ‘Crossed’
- 'Revenge' Season 4 Spoilers: Daniel, Emily In Twisted Friendship; David Clarke Mystery Growing (Review, Updates)
- 'The Mentalist' Season 7, Episode 1 Spoilers: The Ending Begins For Patrick Jane And Teresa Lisbon (Synopsis)
- Russia's New Tactical Nuclear Weapons Program Growing Confident Against the US: Talks of World War III
- Apple and Google Engage in Thermonuclear War, New Google Translate Chat App in the Works
- Kobani ISIS Fighter Sends Out Desperate Message For Prayers And Support: Euphoria Turns Into Desperation As Kurds Advance
- Chris Algieri’s Battered Face Trends On Social Media
- Home Depot Early Black Friday 2014 Sale Up To Nov. 29, 2014 Includes Special Buys On Appliances Such As Samsung Refrigerators, Whirlpool Electric Ranges And Hoover Vacuum Cleaners
- Highest Paid NBA Players 2014: NBA Stars Who Earn More Than LeBron James
- Walmart Offers the Best 2014 Black Friday Deals on iPhone 6, iPad Ai2 & Other Gadgets – Reports