'Cinco de Mayo' Is A 'Dog Party'
By Tanya Diente | May 6, 2014 5:16 PM EST
"Cinco de Mayo" is the time to commemorate the history of the aboriginal people upon their triumph in the "Battle of Puebla" in Puebla, Mexico against the French in 1862.
Dancers from Ballet Folklorico Mexicano de Georgetown wait to perform at a Cinco de Mayo reception at the White House in Washington, May 3, 2012
It is celebrated on May 5 and usually in the United States and in Mexico, primarily in the state of Puebla, where they call the holiday El Día de la Batalla de Puebla (English: The Day of the Battle of Puebla).
Cinco de Mayo originated with the Mexican-American communities in the American West, as a way to celebrate their democracy during the first years of the American Civil War.
In Mexico, this is not considered as a National holiday but in the state of Puebla, it is an official holiday when students are off from school and employees get time to rest from work.
The celebration of "Cinco de Mayo" also occurs outside of the United States and Mexico. United States celebrates "Cinco de Mayo" through Mexican cuisine, culture and music. Street parades usually happen, as well as street musical events emphasizing on Mexican music.
People would dress up in Mexican outfits, colourful floral dresses for women and normally plain white collared shirt and black pants/slacks for men with matching sombreros.
However, it's not just people dressing up for the event. Dogs have also been seen wearing floral hats, ribbons, or dressed up in cute Mexican outfits to join in the celebration. The festivities is not complete without a little participation of these so called man's bestfriend, either they join the street parade, or eat the beef taco they see lying unattended on a picnic table.
Likewise, take a look at Pawnation's website to check out their own "Cinco de Mayo" dogs.
Twitter has been bombarded with all tweets of animals in their "Cinco de Mayo" costumes.
Pets that know how to celebrate Cinco de Mayo! http://t.co/dCEI9fAiTW
— Earthwhile Endeavors (@earthbath_pet) May 6, 2014
Below are cute videos of dogs in their "Cinco de Mayo" costumes and "Cinco de Mayo" tricks.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Join the Conversation
- ‘Mad Men’ Season 7 [Final Season] Update: Jon Hamm Talks About Surprises And Things Looking Up
- Nina Dobrev Moves On From Ian Somerhalder: ‘TVD’ Actress Trying To Reconcile With Ex, ‘DWTS’ Star Derek Hough—Report Suggests
- ‘Game of Thrones’ Season 5 Casting: Brothel Guard, Military Officer And More
- ‘American Horror Story’ Season 4 ‘Freak Show’ Update: Skyler Samuels Roped In To Play Pivotal Role, Extended Teaser Released [VIDEO]
- ‘Grey’s Anatomy’ Season 11 Premiere (Episode 1) Spoilers: Find Out What Happens In ‘I Must Have Lost It On The Wind'
- Google Nexus 6 Release Date on Q4 2014 Confirmed by T-Mobile Featuring Wi-Fi Calling
- Samsung Galaxy Note 4 vs. BlackBerry Passport — Specifications, Features, Release Date And Price Showdown
- 2 Reasons Nexus 6 Release Date is Worth the Wait: Android L Data Encryption & Material Design
- 3 Signs Apple iPhone 6 Could be in Short Supply Following its Sept 19 Release Date
- Australia Actively Rallying Support For International Coalition Against ISIS
- iOS 8 Jailbreak Release Update: Pangu Devs Will Outrace Evad3rs in Rollout of iPhone 6, iPad Unlocker
- Micromax Canvas A1 Vs Spice Dream Uno Vs Karbonn Sparkle V: A Choice On Which Android Is The Best