'Cinco de Mayo' Is A 'Dog Party'
By Tanya Diente | May 6, 2014 5:16 PM EST
"Cinco de Mayo" is the time to commemorate the history of the aboriginal people upon their triumph in the "Battle of Puebla" in Puebla, Mexico against the French in 1862.
Dancers from Ballet Folklorico Mexicano de Georgetown wait to perform at a Cinco de Mayo reception at the White House in Washington, May 3, 2012
It is celebrated on May 5 and usually in the United States and in Mexico, primarily in the state of Puebla, where they call the holiday El Día de la Batalla de Puebla (English: The Day of the Battle of Puebla).
Cinco de Mayo originated with the Mexican-American communities in the American West, as a way to celebrate their democracy during the first years of the American Civil War.
In Mexico, this is not considered as a National holiday but in the state of Puebla, it is an official holiday when students are off from school and employees get time to rest from work.
The celebration of "Cinco de Mayo" also occurs outside of the United States and Mexico. United States celebrates "Cinco de Mayo" through Mexican cuisine, culture and music. Street parades usually happen, as well as street musical events emphasizing on Mexican music.
People would dress up in Mexican outfits, colourful floral dresses for women and normally plain white collared shirt and black pants/slacks for men with matching sombreros.
However, it's not just people dressing up for the event. Dogs have also been seen wearing floral hats, ribbons, or dressed up in cute Mexican outfits to join in the celebration. The festivities is not complete without a little participation of these so called man's bestfriend, either they join the street parade, or eat the beef taco they see lying unattended on a picnic table.
Likewise, take a look at Pawnation's website to check out their own "Cinco de Mayo" dogs.
Twitter has been bombarded with all tweets of animals in their "Cinco de Mayo" costumes.
Pets that know how to celebrate Cinco de Mayo! http://t.co/dCEI9fAiTW
— Earthwhile Endeavors (@earthbath_pet) May 6, 2014
Below are cute videos of dogs in their "Cinco de Mayo" costumes and "Cinco de Mayo" tricks.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Join the Conversation
- ‘Guardians Of The Galaxy 2’ Nebula Is Alive And James Gunn Wants Fans To See More Of Her
- Selena Gomez And Justin Bieber: Songstress Fears Pregnancy After Experiencing Pregnancy Symptoms—Report
- 'American Horror Story' Season 4 Episode 8 Spoilers: Big Twist Features Dandy In Blood Bath
- ‘Sons of Anarchy’ Season 7, Episode 12 Spoilers: Katey Sagal On Gemma Teller’s Fate in ‘Red Rose’ [VIDEO]
- ‘The Walking Dead’ Season 5, Episode 8 Spoilers – ‘Coda’: Midseason Finale Is ‘Heartbreaking’ And ‘Gut-Wrenching’
- 5 Proofs Russia is Geared-Up for Shooting War with U.S. and Can Win Future Nuclear Showdown
- Bill Clinton At It Again, Caught By Camera In Jerusalem Peeking At Woman’s Breast