Before Andrew Garfield, Tobey Maguire, and the 'Power Rangers,' 'Spider-Man' is a Japanese Series
By Jenille Cristy Maido | May 6, 2014 4:52 PM EST
"The Amazing Spider-Man 2" has been hitting box office records in different countries across the world, but before Andrew Garfield and Tobey Maguire, Shinji Todo played Spidey gracing Japanese television back in 1978.
Actors Emma Stone and Andrew Garfield pose for photographs at the world premiere of The Amazing Spiderman 2 in central London, April 10, 2014. REUTERS/Olivia Harris
Peter Parker's Japanese counterpart is Takuya Yamashiro, a motorcycle racer who became a spider hero after being injected by the blood of the only surviving creature of the Planet Spider. The plot is loosely based on the Marvel famous series.
Toie Company under the licensed of Marvel produced Spider-Man ("Supaidaman") series and created a twisted story with changes in the plot to suit the taste of Japanese viewers. "Supaidaman" premiered May 17, 1978 and ended May 14, 1979. The series had 41 episodes and was eventually turned into a movie.
Yamashiro, Japanese Spider-Man, wear the classic read spider suit, shoots web, and climbs buildings like any Spider-Man in the Hollywood version do. But what is unique with the Japanese version is Spider-Man's ability to to control a spaceship called the 'Marveller' and has its own flying car called the "Spider Machine GP-7." Among others, the Japanese superhero has the ability to summon a giant robot to battle giant aliens. The robot whose name is Leopardon as well as the flying car are based on Toie's franchise of the "Super Sentai" series. The classic pose before and after Spider-Man defeated his enemies is also a distinct action in "Super Sentai". The latter was adapted in the United States which became Power Rangers.
Meanwhile, the latest Spider-Man movie, "The Amazing Spider-Man 2" has accumulated $277 million and the earnings is still growing for its early international release, in a report by CNN. On its domestic opening this weekend, the movie already earned an estimated $92 million topping the box office hit over "The Other Woman" which earned $14.2 million; "Heaven is for Real" which earned $8.7 million; "Captain America: The Winter Soldier" which earned $7.8 million; and, "Rio 2" which earned $7.6 million respectively.
Though the earnings on the opening of the second installation of the "Amazing Spider-Man" was $30 million more than the first in 2012, it failed to surpassed the openings of two of Sam Raimi's installation where "Spider-Man" earned $114.8 million and "Spider-Man 3" earned $151.1 million.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Pope Francis Meets Sudanese Woman Who Was Spared Death for Apostasy (PHOTOS)
- Malaysia Airlines Flight MH17: King Williem-Alexander, Queen Maxima Hold Solemn Reception Ceremony for Victims
- Jennifer Lawrence & Nicholas Hoult Allegedly Split: Mad Max Actor Cheats with Kristen Stewart & Riley Keough - Reports
- Celebrities Suffering From Lupus: Facts About the Disease
Join the Conversation
- Ed Sheeran Disappoints Taylor Swift and Other A-List Celebrities, Scolded for Spilling Secrets - Reports
- Beyonce and Jay Z: HOV May Have a Sextape with Carmen Bryan, Report Suggests; Queen Bey ‘Beyond Furious’
- Jim Parsons Quits The Big Bang Theory News Turns Out Hoax, but Actor ‘Not’ Sure about his Return in Season 8
- Kate Middleton Pregnancy Reports: The Truth Behind the Duchess Miscarriage
- The Bachelorette Season 10 (2014) Finale, ATFR Spoilers: Find Out: Will Andi Dorfman Accept the Proposal and is She Still With the Winner
- Apple iPhone 6 on Two Confirmed Release Dates, New Parts Leaked Suggesting Bigger iPhone to Come
- Google Nexus 6, 8 with Android L on Release Date Promises Killer Mobile Device Experience
- iPhone 6 Release Date Relevance to iOS Newbies: Specs Meaning, Price Considerations
- Xiaomi Mi4 vs OnePlusOne vs Nexus 5: Mi4 is the ‘Perfect’ Phone
- Israeli Women Stripping Naked for IDF Soldiers
- HTC One M8 Android 4.4.3 KitKat Update Roll Out, Introducing the HTC One Remix
- Shocking Video of Pedigree Dog Culling in Bali Emerges [Video]