Beer Benefits: Everyone's 'Favorite' Alcoholic Beverage May Actually be Good For You?
By Daniel Joseph Cruz | May 6, 2014 4:28 PM EST
Drinking beer is one of the best social gatherings of many people worldwide. The satisfaction drinkers experience in beer doesn't account to what more this beverage can actually do well for you.
A waiter tastes a beer ahead of an Anheuser-Busch InBev shareholders meeting in Brussels April 30, 2014.
Here are facts that may tell what beer can do for your health:
Freebase said beer is the world's most widely consumed alcoholic beverage. It is the third most popular drink gloabally after water and tea. It is thought by some as the oldest fermented beverage.
Beer is produced by the saccharification (breaking into sugars) of starch and fermentation of the resulting sugar. Most beers come in many flavors depending which country they were developed. Aside from the long "happy hours," prolonged "beer curls," and all the fun beer graciously provides, there are more awesome scientifically researched benefits for the good brew:
1. Like red wine's heart-healthy benefits, beer has the same effects. According to Men's Health, Italian researchers found moderate beer drinkers had a 42 percent lower risk of heart disease compared to non-drinkers. For a balanced healthy use, it is advised to drink only a pint of the brew per day.
2. Beer slightly increases problem solving capabilities for drinkers. According to Consciousness and Cognition journal, men with more blood alcohol content in the body solved puzzles faster.
3. It helps the kidneys to function better. Researchers in Finland said one bottle of beer a day reduces the risk of developing kidney stones by 40 percent. Researchers added the hops (ingredients) found in beer slow the release of calcium from the bones. This prevents the kidneys to absorb them to become kidney stones.
4. Beer also helps in hydration after workout. In a Spanish study, the research participants were asked to work out and afterward rehydrate with beer. The beer drinkers were shown more hydrated. An issue may arise though with drinkers being too "wasted" to even execute exercises properly.
5. Canadian researchers discovered one beer a day (preferably larger) may raise antioxidant activity that can prevent cataracts. This discovery may badly backfire though if drinkers will drink three or more drinks a day.
6. Beer may reduce blood pressure and the risk of having hypertension. In the study, beer also has more blood pressure-lowering effects than wine.
7. According to eatright.com, beer is also a good source of B vitamins such as folate, niacin and riboflavin, pantothenic acid, and Vitamins B6 and B12. These nutrients keep your heart healthy by decreasing damage to the arteries.
8. A healthy dose of two beers a day increases bone density up to 4.5 percent. The downside to this benefit is when drinkers drink more than two mugs a day, as it reverses its bone-improving effects.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- George Clooney And Amal Alamuddin's Wedding In Venice: Photos Of Groom And His Family, Friends [Slideshow]
- Kendall Jenner Rocks Semi-Nude Balmain Lattice Dress At Paris Fashion Week [PHOTOS]
- Walking Is Superfood For Fitness; Celebrities Who Walk For Health
- Photos Of George Clooney And Amal Alamuddin, They Get Married Again On Monday [Slideshow]
Join the Conversation
- Bill Gates Believes Ebola Could Spread Outside West Africa, Warns Countries Should Strengthen Healthcare
- Sex In The City Actress Kim Cattrall Embraces Menopause
- A Baby Shot In The Head Due To Hunting Accident In Pennsylvania; Chances of Blindness
- Australia's Response to Ebola Crisis 'Lethally Inadequate'
- 5 Myths About The Gluten-Free Diet Every Fad Fanatic Should Know
- 3 Reasons to Get the Samsung Galaxy Note 4 Instead of the iPhone 6
- iPhone 6 vs Moto G 2014: Motorola’s Budget Smartphone Takes On Apple’s Premium Smartphone
- Google HTC Nexus 9 Tablet October 24 Launch Date Benefits Many
- Galaxy Note 4 vs Nexus 6: Which Smartphone Dominates
- MH 370 Search In Ocean To Intensify With Hi Tech Ships Joining The Plane Hunt From October
- New Windows OS Is Not Windows 9, Microsoft To Launch Windows 10 As New OS Build
- Nexus 7 Tips and Tricks