Jeremy Clarkson Given Final Warning After Latest Racial Row
By Anne Lu | May 6, 2014 4:26 PM EST
Jeremy Clarkson has been given a final warning by the British network BBC after he was caught in a racist row.
The “Top Gear” presenter was caught reciting a nursery rhyme on his show and using a word that sounded like the racial slur “n****r.”
Clarkson denied using the “extremely distasteful” term, but admitted that it really sounded like he did when he watched the footage, which was released by the tabloid The Mirror.
He begged for forgiveness for the leak of the tape, while continuing to deny that he had used the racist term.
The deleted scene was shot two years ago, while the episode was aired in February.
Nevertheless, there were calls from some people to have him fired from the show, which the BBC seemed to have listened to.
Clarkson admitted that he has received his final warning from the network following his latest controversy.
“I’ve been told by the BBC that if I make one more offensive, remark, anywhere at any time, I will be sacked,” he wrote on The Sun.
“It’s funny. I’ve always thought I’d be sacked for something I said. Not for something that actually I didn’t say.”
It wasn’t the first time Clarkson has been quoted in a racial row.
In 2009 while in Australia, Clarkson called British Prime Minister Gordon Brown a “one-eyed Scottish idiot,” which was condemned by the Royal National Institute of Blind People, as well as Scottish politicians. He apologised for calling out Brown’s monocular blindness, but not for calling him an idiot.
He also angered the Welsh after writing on The Sun that the United Nations should start thinking about abolishing Welsh and other languages.
Recently, the BBC was forced to apologise for Clarkson’s “light-hearted” joke while filming the show in Myanmar and Thailand. He referred to a “slope” on a bridge, apparently not aware that the term is a racially offensive term for Asians.
It seems that Clarkson’s woes are not limited to his public persona and his job security. A new report claims that his wife of 21 years will be divorcing him soon.
According to The Daily Mail, Frances Clarkson, 52, went on a holiday in Majorca to “toast the end of their marriage.”
“Apparently, Francie had a really jolly boozy time because she is finally getting a divorce from Jeremy and she was celebrating that,” a source told the UK paper. “All her friends have been waiting for years for her to do it and she finally has.”
Frances, Clarkson’s second wife, raises three children with him. She and the TV presenter have allegedly been living apart for three years already.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Join the Conversation
- Angelina Jolie, Brad Pitt Photographed Fighting Before ‘Unbroken’ Sydney Premiere – Report [VIDEO]
- 'NCIS Los Angeles' Season 6 Recap: Episode 9 'Traitor' Aired On Nov. 24, 2014, The Hunt For The ‘NCIS LA’ Mole Is Over [WATCH VIDEOS]
- ‘The Young And The Restless’ (Y&R) Nov. 26 Spoilers: Victoria Finds Who The Father Of Her Child Is And Jack And Phyllis Rekindle Romance
- Kate Middleton Cries As She Listens To A Moving Tale Of A Mother Who Lost Her Infant Daughter
- ‘Sons of Anarchy’ Season7, Episode 12 Spoilers: Thanksgiving Break, SAMCRO Returns In December [VIDEO]
- Russia Is Ready for Shooting War, Will Likely Win Looming Nuclear Showdown with U.S. – Report
- Black Friday And Cyber Monday Sale 2014: AT&T's Cricket Wireless Offers Discounts On Lumia 1320, Galaxy S5, S4 And HTC Desire 510
- Microsoft Band Runs Out Of Stock, But Offers $10 Gift Voucher To Wait-Listed Customers
- ISIS Kidnaps Iraqi Defence Minister’s Family, Executes Female Parliament Candidates
- '$2,000 For Sex'—Pleads Unlucky-in-Love Guy On OKCupid
- Google Joins Forces with GoPro Inc with New Google Maps Focusing on Destination
- Target Early Black Friday 2014 Sale Ad Released For Nov. 26, 2014 Includes Deals On Toys, HDTVs And Video Games Such As ‘FIFA 15’ And ‘NHL 15’ For Xbox 360 [WATCH VIDEO]