Jeremy Clarkson Given Final Warning After Latest Racial Row
By Anne Lu | May 6, 2014 4:26 PM EST
Jeremy Clarkson has been given a final warning by the British network BBC after he was caught in a racist row.
The “Top Gear” presenter was caught reciting a nursery rhyme on his show and using a word that sounded like the racial slur “n****r.”
Clarkson denied using the “extremely distasteful” term, but admitted that it really sounded like he did when he watched the footage, which was released by the tabloid The Mirror.
He begged for forgiveness for the leak of the tape, while continuing to deny that he had used the racist term.
The deleted scene was shot two years ago, while the episode was aired in February.
Nevertheless, there were calls from some people to have him fired from the show, which the BBC seemed to have listened to.
Clarkson admitted that he has received his final warning from the network following his latest controversy.
“I’ve been told by the BBC that if I make one more offensive, remark, anywhere at any time, I will be sacked,” he wrote on The Sun.
“It’s funny. I’ve always thought I’d be sacked for something I said. Not for something that actually I didn’t say.”
It wasn’t the first time Clarkson has been quoted in a racial row.
In 2009 while in Australia, Clarkson called British Prime Minister Gordon Brown a “one-eyed Scottish idiot,” which was condemned by the Royal National Institute of Blind People, as well as Scottish politicians. He apologised for calling out Brown’s monocular blindness, but not for calling him an idiot.
He also angered the Welsh after writing on The Sun that the United Nations should start thinking about abolishing Welsh and other languages.
Recently, the BBC was forced to apologise for Clarkson’s “light-hearted” joke while filming the show in Myanmar and Thailand. He referred to a “slope” on a bridge, apparently not aware that the term is a racially offensive term for Asians.
It seems that Clarkson’s woes are not limited to his public persona and his job security. A new report claims that his wife of 21 years will be divorcing him soon.
According to The Daily Mail, Frances Clarkson, 52, went on a holiday in Majorca to “toast the end of their marriage.”
“Apparently, Francie had a really jolly boozy time because she is finally getting a divorce from Jeremy and she was celebrating that,” a source told the UK paper. “All her friends have been waiting for years for her to do it and she finally has.”
Frances, Clarkson’s second wife, raises three children with him. She and the TV presenter have allegedly been living apart for three years already.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Flight MH17 Attack: Russians Claim 'Putin A Terrorist,' Memorial at Dutch Embassy Overflows [PHOTOS]
- Pope Francis Meets Sudanese Woman Who Was Spared Death for Apostasy (PHOTOS)
- Ellen DeGeneres Caught Cheating with Mutual Friend Before Portia de Rossi’s Rehab – Reports [PHOTOS]
- Typhoon Matmo Leaves 32k Customers w/o Electricity in Taiwan, Weakens After Landing in China
Join the Conversation
- Kate Middleton Will Name Second Child Diana, Camilla Parker-Bowles Not Invited to Prince George’s Birthday - Reports
- Kanye West Abandons Kim Kardashian after 58 Days of Marriage – Reports
- Ian Somerhalder and Nina Dobrev Drama: Heartbroken The Vampire Diaries Actress Reacts to Nikki Reed Dating News—Report
- The Bachelorette Season 10 (2014) Finale, ATFR Spoilers: Things to Know About ‘Surprising, Explosive Ending’ of Andi Dorfman’s Season
- Selena Gomez's Mystery Man Identified as Businessman Tommy Chiabra, Singer Flirts and Shares Same Towel with Him -- Reports
- Windows Phone 8.1 Update Rollout: 20 Nokia Lumia Phones Eligible and 13 New Features to be Added
- HTC Google Nexus 8 Release Date Imminent with New Nexus 7 Deals, Two New Tablets Soon
- iPad Air 2 Release Date Will Skip IGZO Panel; To Rollout with Super-Slim iPad Mini Air
- HTC One E8 (Plastic Variant of HTC One M8) with 5-Inch Display, Dual-SIM, 801 Processor and 2 GB RAM to Hit New Markets Soon
- iPhone 6 Release Date in September 26 with Price Details and More Killer Features
- Apple iPad Mini Air: Three Fresh Features on the Smart Tablet to Wait for
- 4.7-Inch iPhone 6 Release Date is Sept 26 after iOS 8 GM Public Debut on Sept 17 – Reports