Jeremy Clarkson Given Final Warning After Latest Racial Row
By Anne Lu | May 6, 2014 4:26 PM EST
Jeremy Clarkson has been given a final warning by the British network BBC after he was caught in a racist row.
The “Top Gear” presenter was caught reciting a nursery rhyme on his show and using a word that sounded like the racial slur “n****r.”
Clarkson denied using the “extremely distasteful” term, but admitted that it really sounded like he did when he watched the footage, which was released by the tabloid The Mirror.
He begged for forgiveness for the leak of the tape, while continuing to deny that he had used the racist term.
The deleted scene was shot two years ago, while the episode was aired in February.
Nevertheless, there were calls from some people to have him fired from the show, which the BBC seemed to have listened to.
Clarkson admitted that he has received his final warning from the network following his latest controversy.
“I’ve been told by the BBC that if I make one more offensive, remark, anywhere at any time, I will be sacked,” he wrote on The Sun.
“It’s funny. I’ve always thought I’d be sacked for something I said. Not for something that actually I didn’t say.”
It wasn’t the first time Clarkson has been quoted in a racial row.
In 2009 while in Australia, Clarkson called British Prime Minister Gordon Brown a “one-eyed Scottish idiot,” which was condemned by the Royal National Institute of Blind People, as well as Scottish politicians. He apologised for calling out Brown’s monocular blindness, but not for calling him an idiot.
He also angered the Welsh after writing on The Sun that the United Nations should start thinking about abolishing Welsh and other languages.
Recently, the BBC was forced to apologise for Clarkson’s “light-hearted” joke while filming the show in Myanmar and Thailand. He referred to a “slope” on a bridge, apparently not aware that the term is a racially offensive term for Asians.
It seems that Clarkson’s woes are not limited to his public persona and his job security. A new report claims that his wife of 21 years will be divorcing him soon.
According to The Daily Mail, Frances Clarkson, 52, went on a holiday in Majorca to “toast the end of their marriage.”
“Apparently, Francie had a really jolly boozy time because she is finally getting a divorce from Jeremy and she was celebrating that,” a source told the UK paper. “All her friends have been waiting for years for her to do it and she finally has.”
Frances, Clarkson’s second wife, raises three children with him. She and the TV presenter have allegedly been living apart for three years already.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Still The World Champions: Team USA Overpowers Serbia, 129-92 To Win 2014 FIBA World Cup [PHOTOS]
- After Win Over Maidana, Mayweather Says He Is Prepared To Negotiate A Fight With Pacquiao
- From Fat To Fit: Celebrities Who Were Overweight Before They Became The Beauties That They Are
- Kendall Jenner Could Be Next Victoria's Secret Angel [PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- ‘America's Got Talent’ (AGT) Season 9 (2014) Winner: Betting Odds And Judges Predict Who Could Win The Finals
- ‘America’s Got Talent’ (AGT) Season 9 (2014) Finale Performance Episode Recap, Spoilers: 6 Finalists Perform Their Last Acts To Win Finals
- ‘Dancing With The Stars’ (DWTS) Season 19 (2014) Winner Predictions: Fellow Contestants And Betting Odds Predict Who Could Win Mirror Ball Trophy
- ‘The Big Bang Theory’ Season 8 Spoilers: Nine Moments From Episode 1, The Locomotion Interruption
- ‘The Bachelor Australia’ Season 2 Preview: Sam’s Fairy Tale Date, Belly Dancing Time, Who Exits
- iOS 8 Release Date Of Sept 17 Has Arrived: Update Begins At 10AM Pacific Time, Upgrade Your iDevices With iOS 7.1.2 First To Install iOS 8
- Pregnant Kate Middleton May Call Off Malta Trip Due To Sickness: Royal Couple Will Move To Anmer Hall Residence
- Why Samsung Galaxy S5 Is Not The Best Smartphone To Purchase Now? If You Still Want To, Wait For A Month To Get It Cheap
- Apple iPad Air 2, iPad Mini 3 October Release Date Roundup: Freshly Leaked Protective Case Debuts Unique Vent Alongside Camera
- Ukraine Crisis: Poland Denies Supplying Weapons To Kiev
- Google Nexus 8 Release Date Countdown Begins Oct 8: 8 Killer Specs and Features to Expect
- Canadian IS Jihadist Who Wants to ‘Play Soccer’ with Heads of US Decapitated Soldiers