Jeremy Clarkson Given Final Warning After Latest Racial Row
By Anne Lu | May 6, 2014 4:26 PM EST
Jeremy Clarkson has been given a final warning by the British network BBC after he was caught in a racist row.
The “Top Gear” presenter was caught reciting a nursery rhyme on his show and using a word that sounded like the racial slur “n****r.”
Clarkson denied using the “extremely distasteful” term, but admitted that it really sounded like he did when he watched the footage, which was released by the tabloid The Mirror.
He begged for forgiveness for the leak of the tape, while continuing to deny that he had used the racist term.
The deleted scene was shot two years ago, while the episode was aired in February.
Nevertheless, there were calls from some people to have him fired from the show, which the BBC seemed to have listened to.
Clarkson admitted that he has received his final warning from the network following his latest controversy.
“I’ve been told by the BBC that if I make one more offensive, remark, anywhere at any time, I will be sacked,” he wrote on The Sun.
“It’s funny. I’ve always thought I’d be sacked for something I said. Not for something that actually I didn’t say.”
It wasn’t the first time Clarkson has been quoted in a racial row.
In 2009 while in Australia, Clarkson called British Prime Minister Gordon Brown a “one-eyed Scottish idiot,” which was condemned by the Royal National Institute of Blind People, as well as Scottish politicians. He apologised for calling out Brown’s monocular blindness, but not for calling him an idiot.
He also angered the Welsh after writing on The Sun that the United Nations should start thinking about abolishing Welsh and other languages.
Recently, the BBC was forced to apologise for Clarkson’s “light-hearted” joke while filming the show in Myanmar and Thailand. He referred to a “slope” on a bridge, apparently not aware that the term is a racially offensive term for Asians.
It seems that Clarkson’s woes are not limited to his public persona and his job security. A new report claims that his wife of 21 years will be divorcing him soon.
According to The Daily Mail, Frances Clarkson, 52, went on a holiday in Majorca to “toast the end of their marriage.”
“Apparently, Francie had a really jolly boozy time because she is finally getting a divorce from Jeremy and she was celebrating that,” a source told the UK paper. “All her friends have been waiting for years for her to do it and she finally has.”
Frances, Clarkson’s second wife, raises three children with him. She and the TV presenter have allegedly been living apart for three years already.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- George Clooney And Amal Alamuddin's Wedding In Venice: Photos Of Groom And His Family, Friends [Slideshow]
- NFL Recap: New York Giants 45, Washington Redskins 14 [PHOTOS]
- Walking Is Superfood For Fitness; Celebrities Who Walk For Health
- Photos Of George Clooney And Amal Alamuddin, They Get Married Again On Monday [Slideshow]
Join the Conversation
- ‘The Walking Dead’ Season 5 Filming Spoilers: Beardless Rick Grimes Seems To Be On The Set
- 'The Bold And The Beautiful' Spoilers For Oct. 1, 2014: Hope Reveals Something To Wyatt And Katie Almost Loses A Loved One [WATCH VIDEO]
- 'The Bachelor Australia' Season 2 Preview: Someone Drops The L Bomb, Marriage Proposal In Season Finale
- ‘Orange is the New Black Story’ Season 3 Update: New Corrections Officer To Be Introduced, Likely To Take Pornstache's Position At Litchfield Penitentiary
- “American Horror Story” Season 4 Spoilers: Emma Roberts' Maggie And Evan Peters’ Jimmy Darling To Be In A Romantic Relationship
- 3 Reasons to Get the Samsung Galaxy Note 4 Instead of the iPhone 6
- iPhone 6 vs Moto G 2014: Motorola’s Budget Smartphone Takes On Apple’s Premium Smartphone
- Google HTC Nexus 9 Tablet October 24 Launch Date Benefits Many
- Galaxy Note 4 vs Nexus 6: Which Smartphone Dominates
- MH 370 Search In Ocean To Intensify With Hi Tech Ships Joining The Plane Hunt From October
- New Windows OS Is Not Windows 9, Microsoft To Launch Windows 10 As New OS Build
- Nexus 7 Tips and Tricks