Boxer Mary Kom Set to Hit the Ring for 2014 Commonwealth Games Trials
By Tarish Bhat | May 6, 2014 4:22 PM EST
All eyes will be on Mary Kom in two-day core group selection trials, as she bids to impress the selectors. It is not going to be a pushover for the five-time world champion, as the tournament features top Indian boxers, such as Sarita Devi and Pinky Jhangra.
Mary Kom is staging a comeback after giving birth to her third child. Her return to the ring was delayed because of surgeries and she started training just one month back, but the 31-year-old is hopeful of making a mark in the trials.
"I have been out of the ring for quite sometime and it's difficult to stage a comeback. But I have worked hard in the last one month. Hopefully things will go my way," Mary was quoted by TOI.
"I had to undergo a few surgeries as well, so it was not easy to return. I started training last month, after almost two years. It was difficult initially but things got better with every passing day.
The mother of three from Manipur will be competing in the 51kg category, but doubts about her fitness have been raised ahead of the trials.
"I still need to regain my fitness level and I'm working on that. At the moment I am nearly 80 per cent fit. But I'm happy to have lost my weight. I had gained a few kilos after surgeries but things are back to normal now," the boxer said.
Mary Kom admitted thoughts of quitting boxing soon had ran through her mind. "I do think of quitting and one day I have to retire. But I have still not fulfilled some of my aims," Mary Kom said.
The Manipur boxer said she wants to win Olympic gold medal in Rio in 2016, but for now she is setting short term targets. "I always wanted gold in the Olympics and I want to achieve that. But I do think that it would boil down to my performance. If it slips than I will not continue. I am setting short term goals. Only if I feel I am upto it, I would go," said the 31-year-old.
To report problems or to leave feedback about this article, e-mail:
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- NFL MNF: Pittsburgh Steelers 30, Houston Texans 23 [PHOTOS]
- 2014 MLB World Series Game 1: San Francisco Giants 7, Kansas City Royals 1 [PHOTOS]
- 2014 MLB World Series - Game 2: Kansas City Royals 7, San Francisco Giants 2 [PHOTOS]
- NFL Thursday Recap - Denver Broncos 35, San Diego Chargers 21: Peyton Manning Has 3 TDs In Easy Win [PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- Rafael Nadal On Roger Federer: ‘He’s A Good Person, A Fantastic Player And A Great Man On Court’
- Jeremy Lin’s Big Break: Steve Nash Out For The Season For The Los Angeles Lakers
- NBA News: Teammate Stresses Jeremy Lin's Importance To The Lakers
- Croatian Boxer Banned For Life From Sport After Vicious Attack On Polish Referee [VIDEO]
- Manny Pacquiao Is Better Than Floyd Mayweather Jr. In Basketball Claims Freddie Roach
- Xiaomi Redmi 1S vs. Sharp Aquos Crystal – Specifications, Features And Price Showdown
- ASUS Releases A Teaser Indicating The Arrival of New Zenfone and ZenWatch On October 28
- Boy Stoned To Death For Alleged Rape, Victim Receives Dowry From Militants
- Three Dual SIM Samsung Galaxy Note 4 Duos Variants Comes To China
- Russia is Creating Underwater Combat Robots to Protect its Arctic Territories
- ‘Lone Wolf’ Attack on Canada Parliament Hill Could be ISIS-Related
- Update HTC One M7 with LG G2 with Android 4.4.2 as Sprint OTA: Fixes and Installation