Boxer Mary Kom Set to Hit the Ring for 2014 Commonwealth Games Trials
By Tarish Bhat | May 6, 2014 4:22 PM EST
All eyes will be on Mary Kom in two-day core group selection trials, as she bids to impress the selectors. It is not going to be a pushover for the five-time world champion, as the tournament features top Indian boxers, such as Sarita Devi and Pinky Jhangra.
Mary Kom is staging a comeback after giving birth to her third child. Her return to the ring was delayed because of surgeries and she started training just one month back, but the 31-year-old is hopeful of making a mark in the trials.
"I have been out of the ring for quite sometime and it's difficult to stage a comeback. But I have worked hard in the last one month. Hopefully things will go my way," Mary was quoted by TOI.
"I had to undergo a few surgeries as well, so it was not easy to return. I started training last month, after almost two years. It was difficult initially but things got better with every passing day.
The mother of three from Manipur will be competing in the 51kg category, but doubts about her fitness have been raised ahead of the trials.
"I still need to regain my fitness level and I'm working on that. At the moment I am nearly 80 per cent fit. But I'm happy to have lost my weight. I had gained a few kilos after surgeries but things are back to normal now," the boxer said.
Mary Kom admitted thoughts of quitting boxing soon had ran through her mind. "I do think of quitting and one day I have to retire. But I have still not fulfilled some of my aims," Mary Kom said.
The Manipur boxer said she wants to win Olympic gold medal in Rio in 2016, but for now she is setting short term targets. "I always wanted gold in the Olympics and I want to achieve that. But I do think that it would boil down to my performance. If it slips than I will not continue. I am setting short term goals. Only if I feel I am upto it, I would go," said the 31-year-old.
To report problems or to leave feedback about this article, e-mail:
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
Join the Conversation
- Jules Bianchi Latest Update: Driver's Mother Says People 'Shirking Responsibility' About The Accident
- Novak Djokovic Aims For World No. 1 Rank In 2015, Becker Says
- Dota 2 Match Fixing Controversy: Arrow Gaming Disqualified From Summit 2 Tournament [VIDEO]
- Roger Federer Starts Practicing On Clay For The Davis Cup Final
- Toni Nadal Says Roger Federer Is The Greatest Of All Time
- Chilling: New ISIS Video Addresses Australia; Aussie Teen Delivers Message
- The Pirate Bay Blockade: Cost Of Blocking Websites Like TPB Is Ridiculously High
- Xiaomi Mi4 And MiPad Prices Likely Slashed, Thanks To Rivals Oppo, OnePlus And Meizu
- Top 4 Free-To-Download Apps for Fuller iPhone 6, 6 Plus Experience
- Australia's 'No Way' Anti-Asylum Seeker Poster Sparks Outrage