6.3 Magnitude Earthquake Strikes North Thailand: 1 Dead, 23 Injured
By Esther Tanquintic-Misa | May 6, 2014 3:27 PM EST
After a 6.3-magnitude earthquake struck northern Thailand's Chiang Rai Province on Monday evening, one person died and at least 23 others were reportedly injured.
A car sinks into a hole caused by an earthquake in the southern New Zealand city of Christchurch June 13, 2011. REUTERS/TIM KELLEHER/HANDOUT
Transport Minister Chadchart Sittipunt who immediately traveled to Chaing Rai Province said many roads and transportation routes had been severely damaged. Thailand's Meteorological Department measured the earthquake at 6.3, while the U.S. Geological Survey measured it at 6.0. It had a depth of 4.6 miles. Albeit shallow, this particular earthquake was felt as far as Myanmar.
Thailand media reported more than 50 aftershocks followed Monday's temblor, resulting in power outage in many areas and forcing massive evacuation of patients from local hospitals.
"Since last evening (Monday) there were six large aftershocks with a magnitude between 5.0 to 5.9 and the last was this morning," Burin Wechbunthung of the Meteorological Department told AFP, adding there were a dozen smaller tremors.
Buildings and temples in the northern provinces of Chiang Mai and Chiang Rai have been damaged.
Wat Rongkhun, one of the well-known temples in Thailand also known as the White Temple, was closed.
"The spire of the main building came off and the tiles on the roof fell off," Chalermchai Kositpiphat, the artist who designed the temple, told Nation TV.
"I still don't know how we can sleep tonight.... It was shaking the whole time and then aftershocks followed four to five times."
The head of a Buddha statue in the Udomwaree Temple fell off. Cracks and damages in its ceiling have also been felt.
Located in Thailand's mountainous north, Chiang Rai is near the borders of both Myanmar and Laos. The quake's epicenter was in a largely rural area of small villages, farms and forests.
To report problems or to leave feedback about this article, e-mail:
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- NFL MNF: Pittsburgh Steelers 30, Houston Texans 23 [PHOTOS]
- 2014 MLB World Series Game 1: San Francisco Giants 7, Kansas City Royals 1 [PHOTOS]
- 2014 MLB World Series - Game 2: Kansas City Royals 7, San Francisco Giants 2 [PHOTOS]
- NFL Thursday Recap - Denver Broncos 35, San Diego Chargers 21: Peyton Manning Has 3 TDs In Easy Win [PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- Xiaomi Redmi 1S vs. Sharp Aquos Crystal – Specifications, Features And Price Showdown
- ASUS Releases A Teaser Indicating The Arrival of New Zenfone and ZenWatch On October 28
- Boy Stoned To Death For Alleged Rape, Victim Receives Dowry From Militants
- Update HTC One M7 with LG G2 with Android 4.4.2 as Sprint OTA: Fixes and Installation
- Verizon Motorola Droid Turbo Leaked Live Images Surfaces, Scheduled To Get Unveiled On Oct 28
- Three Dual SIM Samsung Galaxy Note 4 Duos Variants Comes To China
- Russia is Creating Underwater Combat Robots to Protect its Arctic Territories