Is There a Dormant Math Genius? Injury Turns Man into a 'Genius'
By Sachin Trivedi | May 6, 2014 2:19 PM EST
A brutal attack has reportedly turned a man into a math genius. He now sees the world through geometry.
With this incident, scientists are intrigued by his case and start to study if there is a dormant math genius in all of us and if we can tap into these math skills.
According to a report by Livescience, Jason Padgett, a furniture salesman from Tacoma Washington, was able to visualize complex mathematical problems after two men attacked him in 2002 outside a karaoke bar, which left him with a severe concussion.
The abilities displayed by Padgett are a symptom of phenomena called Savant syndrome. A Savant is a person who has severe physical or mental disability but displays remarkable talent in a particular field.
Padgett who did not have any extraordinary math skills now draws circles made of overlapping triangles to understand the concept of pi. He can now draw complex geometric shapes of mathematical equations, without understanding the concepts and rules behind them.
He currently goes to college to get some formal training and wants to be a number theorist. Number theory is a branch of mathematics which deals with properties and relationships of numbers.
A person with Savant syndrome can exhibit extraordinary abilities in a particular field and not only in math. Some of the abilities include super memory, fast calculation of complex problems, musical ability, artistic ability and can learn up to 15 or sometimes 20 languages.
Is there a dormant power within us that we are not able to recognize and make use of? To be a Savant would mean having to compromise on certain aspects.
Padgett for instance reportedly suffered from post-traumatic stress and social anxiety.
Berit Brogaard and her colleagues scanned Padgett's brain to understand how he acquired his extraordinary math skills. Perhaps the future scientists will be able to understand the phenomena and help people to tap into their dormant abilities without having to compromise other abilities.
Another aspect of being a Savant is that the person sees the world very differently compared to others. In Padgett's case, he sees shapes and angles in whatever he sees.
"It's just really beautiful," he reportedly said.
More Articles to Read
'Game of Thrones' Season 4 Episode 5 Recap: More Marriages are Coming [Read]
'Dracula' Season 2 News: Did Jonathan Rhys Meyers Spill the Beans at a Party? [Read]
U.S. Confirms First Case of MERS Virus - Muslim Pilgrims May be Particularly 'Vulnerable' [Read]
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Manny Pacquiao Vs. Chris Algieri World Tour Kick Off Press Conference In Macau [PHOTOS]
- 2014 US Open Update (Day 4 - Men's Singles): Murray, Djokovic, Raonic and Isner Advance to 3rd Round [PHOTOS]
- Prince Harry & Camilla Thurlow Getting Serious, St. Tropez Holiday Before The Prince’s 30th Birthday [PHOTOS]
- Kate Middleton’s Mom Accused Of Being A Social Climber, Prince George Not Seen By Relatives
Join the Conversation
- Ice Bucket Challenge Toddler Scarlett-Rose Davis Who Uses F-Word Apologises - Watch Original Video
- New Nail Polish Changes Colour When Exposed to Date-Rape Drugs: Helps Women Safety
- A Fish That Walks; Scientists Find A Fish That Does Better On Land Than Water[Video]
- Underground Eruption of A Volcano Noticed As Powerful Earthquakes Rock Iceland
- Tiny Beads Found In Shampoo And Exfoliants Are A Threat to the Sydney Harbour
- Sept 19 iPhone 6 Release Date Confirmed as Apple Sets Sept 9 iWatch, 2 iPhones Intro - Report
- Hundreds of Men Rape Teen for Three Years
- Product Recall Alert: Hewlett-Packard Pulls Out 6M Power Cords from US, Canada Over Fire Hazard Concerns, Australia Also Affected
- ISIS Wants $6.6M and Release of Aafia Siddiqui in Exchange of Head of Female US Humanitarian Aid Worker, 1st American Fighting for Jihadis Dead
- Ukraine Ceasefire Looks Remote As Putin Talks Tough At Meeting With Poroshenko
- Google Nexus 6 Release May Be the New Google Nexus X Smartphone as New Details Emerge