China to Step up Crackdown on Military Corruption - Xinhua
May 6, 2014 2:08 PM EST
China is stepping up a crackdown on perks for military officials, targeting extravagant wedding ceremonies and funerals as it widens a graft probe into the use of public funds for banquets, travel and gifts, state media reported.
China says to ease restrictions on overseas investments
Perks enjoyed by officials of the People's Liberation Army, including the use of secretaries, are among the issues being investigated by the military inspection teams, official news agency Xinhua reported on Monday.
Inspectors will look into "extravagant wedding ceremonies and funerals" held by military officials, besides strengthening investigations into public funds used for banquets, travel and gifts, it added.
The anti-corruption drive has made progress in cleaning up illicit apartments and vehicles, Xinhua reported, but is still "far from expectations".
A campaign on widespread corruption by China's President Xi Jinping has led to the detention of some senior government officials and executives in state-owned firms, including the country's biggest oil and gas producer, PetroChina Co Ltd.
Xi has also targeted officials in the military in the bid to weed out graft and consolidate his power. Late last year 18 military inspection teams fanned out to various departments and area commands.
Join the Conversation
- Image Of An Alien Revealed By US Intelligence Agent Suggests Existence Of Extraterrestrial Life -- Report
- US Police Officers Shoot 12-Year-Old Child ‘By Mistake’
- Woman Charged For Leaving Her Baby in Drain in Australia Needs 'Compassion' Says Social Worker
- [In Pictures] Police Fire As Protest Turns Into ‘Riot’ After Grand Jury Decision on Ferguson Shooting
- New Zealanders in Australia Consider Moving Back to Home Country For Better Life
- Russia Is Ready for Shooting War, Will Likely Win Looming Nuclear Showdown with U.S. – Report
- Microsoft Band Runs Out Of Stock, But Offers $10 Gift Voucher To Wait-Listed Customers
- Google Joins Forces with GoPro Inc with New Google Maps Focusing on Destination
- Target Early Black Friday 2014 Sale Ad Released For Nov. 26, 2014 Includes Deals On Toys, HDTVs And Video Games Such As ‘FIFA 15’ And ‘NHL 15’ For Xbox 360 [WATCH VIDEO]
- 16GB iPhone 6 for $99 at Sam’s Club is the Best 2014 Black Friday Deal Around
- Lumia Update Will Come Soon Confirms Microsoft
- Black Friday And Cyber Monday Sale 2014: AT&T's Cricket Wireless Offers Discounts On Lumia 1320, Galaxy S5, S4 And HTC Desire 510