Melissa Doyle’s 7pm News Bulletin Taken Off The Air
By Anne Lu | May 6, 2014 12:48 PM EST
Melissa Doyle’s schedule has just gotten lighter. Her 7pm news show has reportedly been pulled off the air, not even a year after she took the assignment.
Seven Network has quietly taken “Seven News at 7” off the air from its 7TWO channel because of Doyle’s “increasingly demanding” schedule. Doyle still presents the 4pm news bulletin.
“Melissa’s roles presenting Seven News at 4 and as a senior correspondent for major national and international news events are becoming increasingly demanding,” a spokeswoman for the network told Confidential.
“In the last seven month, Mel has anchored Seven News coverage of Schapelle Corby’s release from jail from outside Bali’s Kerobokan prison, covered the Blue Mountains bushfires and tropical Cyclone Ita, the Oscars from the red carpet in L.A., and travelled to Jordan to produce a series of special reports on the Syrian refugee crisis.
“Most recently Mel was on the road for two weeks leading Seven News coverage of the Royal Tour.”
The 7pm news bulletin was launched in August 2013, two months after Doyle had an emotional farewell from “Sunrise,” the breakfast program that she co-presented for 14 years.
Rumours abound that she was fired from “Sunrise” to make way for the younger Samantha Armytage, though this claim has been denied by both Doyle and the network. Although Armytage did replace Doyle in her co-presenting duties with David Koch, they denied that Doyle was forcibly fired and given a pay cut.
Apparently, it was her decision to leave the breakfast show.
“I figured no amount of jumping up and down on my behalf would have changed anyone’s mind. I was ready for a change. I am happy. I love it,” she told Sunday Style in March.
Doyle, 44, has hosted “Sunrise” from 2002 with Koch. She still presents “Seven Afternoon News.” Matt White co-presented the news with her until he resigned to join Network Ten in April.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- NFL MNF: Pittsburgh Steelers 30, Houston Texans 23 [PHOTOS]
- 2014 MLB World Series Game 1: San Francisco Giants 7, Kansas City Royals 1 [PHOTOS]
- 2014 MLB World Series - Game 2: Kansas City Royals 7, San Francisco Giants 2 [PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- Brad Pitt Forced To Talk About Ex-Wife Jennifer Aniston: Asked to Compare Wife Angelina Jolie With Rachel From 'Friends'
- Ian Somerhalder Girlfriend: 'Twilight' Actress Nikki Reed Heads Back To Los Angeles Solo, Spotted Partying With Michelle Rodriguez At A Fashion Event
- 'The Bold And The Beautiful' Spoilers For Oct. 24, 2014: Katie Spills Ridge's Secret Plan While Eric's Announcement Causes A Huge Furor [WATCH VIDEO]
- ‘The Walking Dead’ Season 5, Episode 3 Major Spoilers: Death Count, The Terminus Residents’ Fate Plus Father Gabriel's Past
- ‘Big Brother Australia’ Evictee Jason Rose Opens Up About His Family’s Acceptance of His Sexuality, Cat and Lawson’s Illicit Love Affair [VIDEO]
- Xiaomi Redmi 1S vs. Sharp Aquos Crystal – Specifications, Features And Price Showdown
- ASUS Releases A Teaser Indicating The Arrival of New Zenfone and ZenWatch On October 28
- Boy Stoned To Death For Alleged Rape, Victim Receives Dowry From Militants
- Three Dual SIM Samsung Galaxy Note 4 Duos Variants Comes To China
- Russia is Creating Underwater Combat Robots to Protect its Arctic Territories
- Update HTC One M7 with LG G2 with Android 4.4.2 as Sprint OTA: Fixes and Installation
- ‘Lone Wolf’ Attack on Canada Parliament Hill Could be ISIS-Related