Tennis News: Roger Federer Overtakes Rafa Nadal, Stan Wawrinka New No.1 in Year-to-Date Rankings Ahead of Madrid Masters
By Lou Ramon Aguila | May 6, 2014 11:35 AM EST
Tennis News - The Swiss tandem of Roger Federer and Stanislas Wawrinka has been gaining ground so far this season, and their early successes on the court have catapulted them ahead of current world's no.1 Rafael Nadal in the current year-to-date (Race to London) ladder.
Roger Federer of Switzerland serves to Benjamin Becker of Germany during their men's singles match at the ATP Dubai Tennis Championships, February 24, 2014. REUTERS/Saleh Salem
Fresh from bagging his second title of the year at Monte Carlo Masters, Wawrinka found himself lording on top of the rankings with 3,535 points. The reigning Australian Open champion is roughly 500 points ahead of Novak Djokovic (3,050), while Federer (2,920) is ahead of Nadal (2,865) by less than 100 points (As of April 28).
"Stan and Roger improves their 2014 rankings after Monte-Carlo Stanislas Wawrinka and Federer made a significant step forward in the Year to Date (or Race to London) rankings. Stan overtook both Nadal (now no.4) and Djokovic (no.2) after gaining 1000pts. Roger climbed 1 place after overtaking Rafa," Tennis Tonic reported.
Wawrinka has been a beast in his 2014 campaign, going an impressive 6-0 against top-10 opponents and taking breakthrough wins at Australian Open and Monte Carlo Masters.
Madrid Masters Battle Royale
Despite the withdrawal of Djokovic due to a wrist injury, the Mutua Madrid Masters is expected to be another great tournament in the clay-court season with Federer, Nadal, Wawrinka and Andy Murray all looking to hoist the crown.
Of course, many tennis fans are looking towards another showdown between future Hall of Famers Federer and Nadal. Federer, who finished runner-up to Wawrinka at Monte Carlo Masters, is gunning for his first ATP 1000 Masters crown since winning the Cincinnati Masters in 2012.
Moreover, a victory by the Swiss on the red dirt of Madrid will make him a four-time champion in the tourney after bagging the top prize in the 2006 (d. Gonzalez), 2009 (d. Nadal) and 2012 edition (d. Berdych) of the event.
On the other hand, Nadal is aiming for a fourth Madrid Open title as well after winning the 2006, 2010 and 2013 editions of the tourney. The tournament will also serve as a gut-check event for the Mallorcan Bull who was playing below everyone's expectation as of late, following his shocking early exit at the Monte Carlo and Barcelona Open - two of his most favourite tournaments.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Flight MH17 Attack: Russians Claim 'Putin A Terrorist,' Memorial at Dutch Embassy Overflows [PHOTOS]
- Typhoon Rammasun Claims 18 Lives in China, Incurs $4.32B Losses (PHOTOS)
- Ellen DeGeneres Caught Cheating with Mutual Friend Before Portia de Rossi’s Rehab – Reports [PHOTOS]
- Malaysia Airlines MH17: Vital Black Boxes Finally Land in Hands of Malaysian Authorities, Rebels Announce Ceasefire (PHOTOS/VIDEOS)
Join the Conversation
- Roger Federer Tops Forbes’ List of Most Financially Valuable Athlete; Maria Sharapova and Li Na Also Make the Cut
- Eugenie Bouchard Fires Warning To Serena Williams; She Wants No.1 Ranking
- Transfer News: Real Madrid Unveil Galactico James Rodriguez [PHOTOS]
- Roger Federer Regains Deadly Service Game - Andy Roddick
- Arsenal FC Transfer News: Rumours Spice Up as Balotelli is Spotted in New York, where Gunners will Hold Pre-season Camp [PHOTOS]
- Samsung Galaxy Note 4 Apps Leak Online, Five Fresh Features to Expect from the Android Smartphone
- Moto 360 Price Speculations, Key Features, Strategic Release Date, Design: A Watch That is More Than Just Time
- Windows Phone 8.1 Update Rollout: 20 Nokia Lumia Phones Eligible and 13 New Features to be Added
- Three New Moto G Successors Spotted in FCC Document Dubbed Moto G2, Moto M and More --Reports
- HTC Google Nexus 8 Release Date Imminent with New Nexus 7 Deals, Two New Tablets Soon
- iPad Air 2 Release Date Will Skip IGZO Panel; To Rollout with Super-Slim iPad Mini Air
- Upcoming iPad Mini 3 Could be 30% Thinner and Likely be Called iPad Mini Air; Apple Q3 Results Show 9% Decrease in iPad Sales