Tennis News: Roger Federer Overtakes Rafa Nadal, Stan Wawrinka New No.1 in Year-to-Date Rankings Ahead of Madrid Masters
By Lou Ramon Aguila | May 6, 2014 11:35 AM EST
Tennis News - The Swiss tandem of Roger Federer and Stanislas Wawrinka has been gaining ground so far this season, and their early successes on the court have catapulted them ahead of current world's no.1 Rafael Nadal in the current year-to-date (Race to London) ladder.
Roger Federer of Switzerland serves to Benjamin Becker of Germany during their men's singles match at the ATP Dubai Tennis Championships, February 24, 2014. REUTERS/Saleh Salem
Fresh from bagging his second title of the year at Monte Carlo Masters, Wawrinka found himself lording on top of the rankings with 3,535 points. The reigning Australian Open champion is roughly 500 points ahead of Novak Djokovic (3,050), while Federer (2,920) is ahead of Nadal (2,865) by less than 100 points (As of April 28).
"Stan and Roger improves their 2014 rankings after Monte-Carlo Stanislas Wawrinka and Federer made a significant step forward in the Year to Date (or Race to London) rankings. Stan overtook both Nadal (now no.4) and Djokovic (no.2) after gaining 1000pts. Roger climbed 1 place after overtaking Rafa," Tennis Tonic reported.
Wawrinka has been a beast in his 2014 campaign, going an impressive 6-0 against top-10 opponents and taking breakthrough wins at Australian Open and Monte Carlo Masters.
Madrid Masters Battle Royale
Despite the withdrawal of Djokovic due to a wrist injury, the Mutua Madrid Masters is expected to be another great tournament in the clay-court season with Federer, Nadal, Wawrinka and Andy Murray all looking to hoist the crown.
Of course, many tennis fans are looking towards another showdown between future Hall of Famers Federer and Nadal. Federer, who finished runner-up to Wawrinka at Monte Carlo Masters, is gunning for his first ATP 1000 Masters crown since winning the Cincinnati Masters in 2012.
Moreover, a victory by the Swiss on the red dirt of Madrid will make him a four-time champion in the tourney after bagging the top prize in the 2006 (d. Gonzalez), 2009 (d. Nadal) and 2012 edition (d. Berdych) of the event.
On the other hand, Nadal is aiming for a fourth Madrid Open title as well after winning the 2006, 2010 and 2013 editions of the tourney. The tournament will also serve as a gut-check event for the Mallorcan Bull who was playing below everyone's expectation as of late, following his shocking early exit at the Monte Carlo and Barcelona Open - two of his most favourite tournaments.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Join the Conversation
- Manny Pacquiao vs. Chris Algieri Betting Odds: American Knockout Of Filipino Pays $10,000 From A $100 Bet
- 2014 Davis Cup Final: Switzerland Vs. France - Roger Federer Vs. Gael Monfils Live Streaming Info and Preview
- Brooklyn Nets Agree to Grant Andrei Kirilenko Indefinite Leave of Absence
- Freddie Roach Asks Manny Pacquiao Not To Beat Up Algieri Too Badly So Mayweather Will Not Be Scared And Agree To Super Fight
- Chelsea FC Injury Update: Diego Costa Fully Fit Ahead Of West Brom Clash, Says Mourinho
- Walmart Pre-Black Friday 2014 Sale On Nov. 21, 2014 Includes Discounts On The 'NBA 2K15' For PS4 And The 'Skylanders Trap Team’ Starter Kit [WATCH VIDEO]
- More Bad News for Android 5.0 Lollipop As Problems Come In for Nexus and Other Devices
- US To Supply Defensive Lethal Weapons To Kiev – A Vey Alarming Signal, Says Russia
- Amazon Black Friday 2014 Deals Start On Nov. 21, 2014 Including Limited-Time Lightning Deals And Deals Of The Day On Clothes, Toys, Jewelry, Watches, Bags, Accessories And Electronics
- Travel Alert: New Delta Air Lines Airbuses Could Be Seen In Australia Soon
- Walmart Canada Feeling The Heat As Grocery War Intensifies
- Travel Alert: Frequent Flyer Tie-Up Between Virgin Australia, South African Airways Enhanced