Tennis News: Roger Federer Overtakes Rafa Nadal, Stan Wawrinka New No.1 in Year-to-Date Rankings Ahead of Madrid Masters
By Lou Ramon Aguila | May 6, 2014 11:35 AM EST
Tennis News - The Swiss tandem of Roger Federer and Stanislas Wawrinka has been gaining ground so far this season, and their early successes on the court have catapulted them ahead of current world's no.1 Rafael Nadal in the current year-to-date (Race to London) ladder.
Roger Federer of Switzerland serves to Benjamin Becker of Germany during their men's singles match at the ATP Dubai Tennis Championships, February 24, 2014. REUTERS/Saleh Salem
Fresh from bagging his second title of the year at Monte Carlo Masters, Wawrinka found himself lording on top of the rankings with 3,535 points. The reigning Australian Open champion is roughly 500 points ahead of Novak Djokovic (3,050), while Federer (2,920) is ahead of Nadal (2,865) by less than 100 points (As of April 28).
"Stan and Roger improves their 2014 rankings after Monte-Carlo Stanislas Wawrinka and Federer made a significant step forward in the Year to Date (or Race to London) rankings. Stan overtook both Nadal (now no.4) and Djokovic (no.2) after gaining 1000pts. Roger climbed 1 place after overtaking Rafa," Tennis Tonic reported.
Wawrinka has been a beast in his 2014 campaign, going an impressive 6-0 against top-10 opponents and taking breakthrough wins at Australian Open and Monte Carlo Masters.
Madrid Masters Battle Royale
Despite the withdrawal of Djokovic due to a wrist injury, the Mutua Madrid Masters is expected to be another great tournament in the clay-court season with Federer, Nadal, Wawrinka and Andy Murray all looking to hoist the crown.
Of course, many tennis fans are looking towards another showdown between future Hall of Famers Federer and Nadal. Federer, who finished runner-up to Wawrinka at Monte Carlo Masters, is gunning for his first ATP 1000 Masters crown since winning the Cincinnati Masters in 2012.
Moreover, a victory by the Swiss on the red dirt of Madrid will make him a four-time champion in the tourney after bagging the top prize in the 2006 (d. Gonzalez), 2009 (d. Nadal) and 2012 edition (d. Berdych) of the event.
On the other hand, Nadal is aiming for a fourth Madrid Open title as well after winning the 2006, 2010 and 2013 editions of the tourney. The tournament will also serve as a gut-check event for the Mallorcan Bull who was playing below everyone's expectation as of late, following his shocking early exit at the Monte Carlo and Barcelona Open - two of his most favourite tournaments.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Celebrities Who Were Victims of Rape: Psychological and Physical Effects of Rape
- Still The World Champions: Team USA Overpowers Serbia, 129-92 To Win 2014 FIBA World Cup [PHOTOS]
- Women’s Tennis’ Grand Slam Winners Of 2014 - Li Na, Sharapova, Kvitova, And Williams
- Kanye West, Ben Affleck, Serena Williams Are Victims Of Migraines: Ways To Tackle It
Join the Conversation
- 2014 FIBA World Cup Final: USA Vs. Serbia Live Streaming Info, Key Players And Preview
- Manchester United News: Man Utd. vs QPR - Preview and Live Streaming Link
- Reports Indicate Mayweather Has 2 Girlfriends: Bad Medina & Liza Hernandez
- NFL Week 2: Kansas City Chiefs Vs. Denver Broncos Live Streaming Information And Preview
- Mayweather To Add $32 Million To Wealth Regardless Of Result Of Maidana Rematch
- iPhone 6 vs iPhone 6 Plus vs Galaxy S5 and HTC One M8: Performance, CPU and Health
- Google Android Lion vs Apple iOS 8: Why Make the Big Switch
- Samsung Galaxy Note 4 vs. OnePlus One – Can The Underdog Trump The Monster?
- US Government Threatened Yahoo to Provide User Data: If not Pay a Fine of $250,000 per day
- Optus Successfully Launches Optus 10 Satellite That Will Improve TV, Internet, Phone & Data Transmission In Australia
- Forget Nexus 6 Release Date, Moto X Pure Edition is Coming Soon with Wi-Fi Calling – Reports
- 7 Reasons Why Atlassian Topped BRW’s Best Place To Work In Australia 2014 List