Lakers Free-Agency Rumors: Rudy Gay Heading To L.A, Pau Gasol Linked To Memphis Grizzlies, Carmelo Anthony Remains First Option
By Lou Ramon Aguila | May 6, 2014 11:29 AM EST
NBA Free-Agency Rumors - The Los Angeles Lakers are reportedly making big a splash in this coming summer, with the hope of adding firepower to help Kobe Bryant in his goal of winning another championship before he retires.
Pau Gasol walks off the court after the Thunder eliminate the Lakers from the playoffs
According to sources, the purple-and-gold is very much interested to make a run for Carmelo Anthony, but they could still pull off a surprise coup by bringing small forward Rudy Gay as another option.
Gay, who was traded by the Raptors to the Sacramento Kings midway into the 2013-14 season, could opt out from the final year of his current contract and test the free-agency market this offseason.
The former UConn standout proved that he's still an elite scorer at the wing this season, averaging 20 points along with 6.0 rebounds and 2.0 dimes in 34 minutes per game for the Kings.
According to Digital Journal writer Larry Seely, the Lakers will likely try first to salvage an A-list free-agent like Anthony or LeBron James before shifting their focus on a non All-Star but efficient player like Gay.
"With a great group of free agents available this summer, many expect a player like Carmelo Anthony or perhaps LeBron James do wear the purple and gold next season, but expect a younger player who can help this franchise for a few more years, not just a one a done job," Digital Journal reported.
"Rudy Gay is one of the top small forwards that could become available. This squad has lacked an offensive talent at the position for a number of years and at 27, Gay is the type of talent the team can build around when Bryant hangs up the sneakers."
With only Bryant, Steve Nash and Robert Sacre under contract for the 2014-15 season, the Lakers will have plenty cap room (around $20 million) to sign a solid free-agent. Moreover, they can also get instant help if they are able to land top-4 pick in a very loaded draft.
Meanwhile, Memphis Grizzlies center Marc Gasol spoke about his brother's upcoming free-agency and the possibility the Gasol brothers will team up in Memphis next season.
After winning two championships with the Lakers, Pau Gasol will become a free-agent this summer, and the Grizzlies emerge as the likely destination for the skillful seven-footer from Spain.
Marc did not clearly specify if his brother will eventually make his return in Memphis, but he provided some interesting words associated with Pau's upcoming decision during his interview with NBA insider Geoff Calkins.
"He knows what we're about here in Memphis, he knows everything about it," said the former Defensive Player of the Year.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- In Photos, Typhoon Rammasun Blasts the Philippines
- Typhoon Rammasun Claims 18 Lives in China, Incurs $4.32B Losses (PHOTOS)
- Ellen DeGeneres Caught Cheating with Mutual Friend Before Portia de Rossi’s Rehab – Reports [PHOTOS]
- Malaysia Airlines MH17: Vital Black Boxes Finally Land in Hands of Malaysian Authorities, Rebels Announce Ceasefire (PHOTOS/VIDEOS)
Join the Conversation
- $300 Million at Stake for Floyd Mayweather vs. Manny Pacquiao Showdown
- Roger Federer is ‘The Greatest of All Time' - Novak Djokovic’s Coach Boris Becker
- Roger Federer Tops Forbes’ List of Most Financially Valuable Athlete; Maria Sharapova and Li Na Also Make the Cut
- Eugenie Bouchard Fires Warning To Serena Williams; She Wants No.1 Ranking
- Jeremy Lin Seeks Respect From Lakers Star Kobe Bryant
- Windows Phone 8.1 Update Rollout: 20 Nokia Lumia Phones Eligible and 13 New Features to be Added
- Moto 360 Price Speculations, Key Features, Strategic Release Date, Design: A Watch That is More Than Just Time
- Google Nexus 8 Release Date Soon Along with 2 More HTC Android Tablets – Reports
- Samsung Galaxy Note 4 Apps Leak Online, Five Fresh Features to Expect from the Android Smartphone
- Three New Moto G Successors Spotted in FCC Document Dubbed Moto G2, Moto M and More --Reports
- iPad Air 2 Release Date Will Skip IGZO Panel; To Rollout with Super-Slim iPad Mini Air
- Upcoming iPad Mini 3 Could be 30% Thinner and Likely be Called iPad Mini Air; Apple Q3 Results Show 9% Decrease in iPad Sales