Lakers Free-Agency Rumors: Rudy Gay Heading To L.A, Pau Gasol Linked To Memphis Grizzlies, Carmelo Anthony Remains First Option
By Lou Ramon Aguila | May 6, 2014 11:29 AM EST
NBA Free-Agency Rumors - The Los Angeles Lakers are reportedly making big a splash in this coming summer, with the hope of adding firepower to help Kobe Bryant in his goal of winning another championship before he retires.
Pau Gasol walks off the court after the Thunder eliminate the Lakers from the playoffs
According to sources, the purple-and-gold is very much interested to make a run for Carmelo Anthony, but they could still pull off a surprise coup by bringing small forward Rudy Gay as another option.
Gay, who was traded by the Raptors to the Sacramento Kings midway into the 2013-14 season, could opt out from the final year of his current contract and test the free-agency market this offseason.
The former UConn standout proved that he's still an elite scorer at the wing this season, averaging 20 points along with 6.0 rebounds and 2.0 dimes in 34 minutes per game for the Kings.
According to Digital Journal writer Larry Seely, the Lakers will likely try first to salvage an A-list free-agent like Anthony or LeBron James before shifting their focus on a non All-Star but efficient player like Gay.
"With a great group of free agents available this summer, many expect a player like Carmelo Anthony or perhaps LeBron James do wear the purple and gold next season, but expect a younger player who can help this franchise for a few more years, not just a one a done job," Digital Journal reported.
"Rudy Gay is one of the top small forwards that could become available. This squad has lacked an offensive talent at the position for a number of years and at 27, Gay is the type of talent the team can build around when Bryant hangs up the sneakers."
With only Bryant, Steve Nash and Robert Sacre under contract for the 2014-15 season, the Lakers will have plenty cap room (around $20 million) to sign a solid free-agent. Moreover, they can also get instant help if they are able to land top-4 pick in a very loaded draft.
Meanwhile, Memphis Grizzlies center Marc Gasol spoke about his brother's upcoming free-agency and the possibility the Gasol brothers will team up in Memphis next season.
After winning two championships with the Lakers, Pau Gasol will become a free-agent this summer, and the Grizzlies emerge as the likely destination for the skillful seven-footer from Spain.
Marc did not clearly specify if his brother will eventually make his return in Memphis, but he provided some interesting words associated with Pau's upcoming decision during his interview with NBA insider Geoff Calkins.
"He knows what we're about here in Memphis, he knows everything about it," said the former Defensive Player of the Year.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
Join the Conversation
- Jules Bianchi Latest Update: F1 Driver's Father Says Son In A Desperate Situation
- Manny Pacquiao Chasing Floyd Mayweather Jr. Because Of Money But Says Undefeated American Is Afraid Of Filipino - Analysts
- Floyd Mayweather Trains Justin Bieber In The Boxing Ring
- Jules Bianchi Latest Update: Driver's Mother Says People 'Shirking Responsibility' About The Accident
- Novak Djokovic Aims For World No. 1 Rank In 2015, Becker Says
- iOS 8 Jailbreak Release Date Likely this October 2014 with Pangu not Evad3rs Firming Up as Creator
- Chilling: New ISIS Video Addresses Australia; Aussie Teen Delivers Message
- Top 4 Free-To-Download Apps for Fuller iPhone 6, 6 Plus Experience
- Xiaomi Mi4 And MiPad Prices Likely Slashed, Thanks To Rivals Oppo, OnePlus And Meizu
- Battery Saving Android 5.0 Lollipop Feature Extends The Battery Life Of Your Android Device By 90 Minutes And Displays Orange Bar While Power Saving Mode Is On
- Apple Inc. (AAPL) Stock Set to Soar Beyond $100 Despite Decline After New iPad Launch
- Russia Beefs Up Gold Reserves To Offset Heat of Sanctions And Undercut Dollar