Lakers Free-Agency Rumors: Rudy Gay Heading To L.A, Pau Gasol Linked To Memphis Grizzlies, Carmelo Anthony Remains First Option
By Lou Ramon Aguila | May 6, 2014 11:29 AM EST
NBA Free-Agency Rumors - The Los Angeles Lakers are reportedly making big a splash in this coming summer, with the hope of adding firepower to help Kobe Bryant in his goal of winning another championship before he retires.
Pau Gasol walks off the court after the Thunder eliminate the Lakers from the playoffs
According to sources, the purple-and-gold is very much interested to make a run for Carmelo Anthony, but they could still pull off a surprise coup by bringing small forward Rudy Gay as another option.
Gay, who was traded by the Raptors to the Sacramento Kings midway into the 2013-14 season, could opt out from the final year of his current contract and test the free-agency market this offseason.
The former UConn standout proved that he's still an elite scorer at the wing this season, averaging 20 points along with 6.0 rebounds and 2.0 dimes in 34 minutes per game for the Kings.
According to Digital Journal writer Larry Seely, the Lakers will likely try first to salvage an A-list free-agent like Anthony or LeBron James before shifting their focus on a non All-Star but efficient player like Gay.
"With a great group of free agents available this summer, many expect a player like Carmelo Anthony or perhaps LeBron James do wear the purple and gold next season, but expect a younger player who can help this franchise for a few more years, not just a one a done job," Digital Journal reported.
"Rudy Gay is one of the top small forwards that could become available. This squad has lacked an offensive talent at the position for a number of years and at 27, Gay is the type of talent the team can build around when Bryant hangs up the sneakers."
With only Bryant, Steve Nash and Robert Sacre under contract for the 2014-15 season, the Lakers will have plenty cap room (around $20 million) to sign a solid free-agent. Moreover, they can also get instant help if they are able to land top-4 pick in a very loaded draft.
Meanwhile, Memphis Grizzlies center Marc Gasol spoke about his brother's upcoming free-agency and the possibility the Gasol brothers will team up in Memphis next season.
After winning two championships with the Lakers, Pau Gasol will become a free-agent this summer, and the Grizzlies emerge as the likely destination for the skillful seven-footer from Spain.
Marc did not clearly specify if his brother will eventually make his return in Memphis, but he provided some interesting words associated with Pau's upcoming decision during his interview with NBA insider Geoff Calkins.
"He knows what we're about here in Memphis, he knows everything about it," said the former Defensive Player of the Year.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- The Pirate Bay Founder Gottfrid Svartholm Clears That Fredrik Neij And Peter Sunde Are Not TPB Founders
- ‘The Walking Dead’ Season 5 Spoilers: Daryl Dixon Out There To Save His Two Favourite Ladies In Mid-season Finale
- [In Pictures] Police Fire As Protest Turns Into ‘Riot’ After Grand Jury Decision on Ferguson Shooting
- ‘The Walking Dead’ Season 5, Episode 8 Spoilers: Daryl Dixon Is Set To Burn The Place Down in ‘Coda’
Join the Conversation
- Mayweather vs. Pacquiao Purse Split: $100M For American, $60M For Filipino— Report
- ESPN Anchor Skip Bayless Says Floyd Mayweather Jr Will Not Fight Manny Pacquiao Because Undefeated Fighter Is ‘Afraid To Lose’
- Amir Khan Addresses Roach’s Comments That Pacquiao Used To Knock Out The Bolton-Born Boxer During Sparring Sessions
- Chelsea FC: Jose Mourinho Hits Back At Sergio Ramos For Questioning Costa And Fabregas Absence From NT, Says 'He is Not A Doctor'
- Meet Paige VanZant, The Next UFC Sensation In The Women's Division
- Russia Is Ready for Shooting War, Will Likely Win Looming Nuclear Showdown with U.S. – Report
- Kobani ISIS Fighter Sends Out Desperate Message For Prayers And Support: Euphoria Turns Into Desperation As Kurds Advance
- Chris Algieri’s Battered Face Trends On Social Media
- Home Depot Early Black Friday 2014 Sale Up To Nov. 29, 2014 Includes Special Buys On Appliances Such As Samsung Refrigerators, Whirlpool Electric Ranges And Hoover Vacuum Cleaners
- Microsoft Band Runs Out Of Stock, But Offers $10 Gift Voucher To Wait-Listed Customers
- Black Friday Sale 2014 Deals From Amazon On Smartphones, TVs, Headsets And More
- Andrew Robb Asks Obama Not to ‘Lecture’ Australia on Climate Change