iPad Mini 3: Everything We Know So Far
By Pavithra Rathinavel | May 6, 2014 10:34 AM EST
Here is a look at all the speculation and rumors surrounding Apple's upcoming Mini tablet, the iPad Mini 3. Firstly, there is a very good chance that iPad Mini 3 could come with a different official name. It is worth noting that, the iPad Mini 2 is officially called as 'iPad Mini with Retina Display'; going by this trend, the Mini 3's name could very well be different.
Philip W. Schiller, Senior Vice President of worldwide marketing at Apple Inc, introduces the new iPads during an Apple event in San Francisco, California October 22, 2013. REUTERS/Robert Galbraith
1. According to the initial leaks (via Macworld), the tablet that looks like an iPad Mini had a Touch ID on the Home button; the fingerprint scanning home button which Apple introduced with their iPhone 5S never made it to iPads (as yet).
In order to view the leaked iPad Mini 3's image - Click here.
2. It is worth noting that, the iPad Mini 2 (with Retina display) comes with a 5MP rear facing iSight camera, and a 1.2MP front facing camera. Going by this trend and Ming-Chi Kuo's (a KGI Analyst) predictions, the iPad Mini 3 will house an 8MP iSight camera unit.
3. There is a good possibility that the iPad Mini 3 could be powered by a new 64 bit SoC. The logical name of the processor/chipset would be the A8 processor. The new processor will provide better performance, improved graphical rendering and a better energy usage mechanism which in turn saves battery life.
4. iPad Mini 3 will feature the same 7.9 inches display with a 2,048 x 1,536 pixels resolution that the iPad Mini 2 featured.
5. The iPad Mini 2 is available in 16/32/64/128GB storage options with no microSD card support for further expansion and this trend will continue with the iPad Mini 3.
Going by the kind of changes that is anticipated out of this upcoming Mini device, the iPad Mini 3 will only bring-in minor changes and upgrades.
According to AppleInsider, KGI analyst Ming-Chi Kuo said that the upcoming iPad Mini could be launched in the third quarter of 2014. But MacWorld says, the iPad Mini 3 could be launched in October and could hit the shops sometime in November targeting Christmas sales.
The rumored iPad Mini 3 is expected to be priced at around $399 for the basic model, much like the predecessor. The official announcement of the upcoming Mini device, one could see that the price of Mini 2 go down further. It is worth noting that, adding a cellular option to the iPad Mini costs US$130/AU$150 to the base price.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Slow-Moving Yet Unrelenting Hawaii Lava Now Only Inches Away From Pahoa Homes
- Kate Middleton Expecting A Baby Boy For The Second Time Around – Reports [PHOTOS]
- 2014 MLB World Series Game 6: Kansas City Royals 10, San Francisco Giants 0 [PHOTOS]
- San Francisco Giants Beat Kansas City Royals, 3-2 In Game 7, Wins 2014 MLB World Series [PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- NATO: Russia's Been Conducting Too Many Military Flights Over Europe
- Moto X 2014 vs. Motorola DROID Turbo - Specifications, Features And Price Showdown
- Dismantling Of Fukushima Reactor 1 Faces Delays, US Judge Gives Sailor Go Signal To Push Through Lawsuit Against TEPCO Over Radiation
- Samsung Galaxy Note Edge To Be Available Through T-Mobile In The US
- Five Extreme Drop Tests On BlackBerry Passport Reveals Its Endurance [Watch Video]
- Updated iOS 8 Pangu Untethered Jailbreak Now Fully Works with Cydia: Key Fixes & Mods to Expect
- Ex-Ohio Trooper Pleads Guilty To Issuing Sex as Penalty To Women Motorists