Charlie Hunnam on His Three Psychotic Roles: 'Sons of Anarchy,' 'Children of Men' & ‘Green Street’
By Riza Ornos | May 6, 2014 8:53 AM EST
One of Hollywood's sexiest hunks, Charlie Hunnam is a force to be reckoned with when it comes to psychotic and challenging roles. Currently filming his upcoming thriller film "Crimson Peak" with "Pacific Rim" director Guillermo del Toro, Hunnam made headlines when he shaved his "Sons of Anarchy" beard to play Dr. Alan McMicheal in the period film.
Charlie Hunnam who is set to play Christian Grey in the film version of EL James's best-selling erotic novel Fifty Shades of Grey, admitted that he is aware that he is not what some fans had in mind for the role.(Reuters)
Known to be very particular on the roles he plays, the 34-year-old actor started acting when he was 15 and was given three episodes in a British children's show. His first break was from Channel 4's drama "Queer as Folk" where he played Nathan Maloney, a 15-year-old teenager who was eager to explore the gay culture for the first time.
Playing a curious teenager in "Queer as Folk" gave Charlie that much needed boost of confidence and exposure. Although not everyone was happy and thrilled about it, the show was definitely ground-breaking and earned record ratings.
"I have 60 years to make the money, but the choices I make in the next five years are really going to define my career," the actor revealed in an interview posted on Wikipedia.
In an interview with Detour Magazine, the actor revealed that one man cornered him on a train and told to be ashamed of himself.
"I was like, dude, I didn't ... kill anyone in Queer as Folk, you know? I don't gang-shoot anyone. If you think it's irresponsible to play a gay character; then I don't know what to say to that," says the actor during the train incident.
Thanks for his role as Natham Maloney, the SOA actor's career expanded and he got to play some of his memorable psychotic roles.
"I played the psycho in Cold Mountain, my character in Green Street is fairly psychotic and now I've got this role," revealed the star.
Here are the three roles of Charlie Hunnam where he played psychotic character.
Peter "Pete" Dunham ("Green Street") - A 2005 independent drama film, "Green Street" is about England's football hooliganism directed by Lexi Alexander. Playing alongside "Lord of Rings" star Elijah Wood, the British actor plays a PE and history teacher in a local primary school who runs a local football hooligan firm.
Bosie ("Cold Mountain") - An epic war dram film based on the bestselling novel of the same name by Charles Frazier, "Cold Mountain" is a story of a wounded deserter from the Confederate army who is on his way to return to the love of his life. Hunnam plays one of the youngest and the most violent member of Tegue's home guard.
Jackson "Jax" Teller ("Sons of Anarchy") - Creater by Kurt Sutter, FX "Sons of Anarchy" is about a close-knit outlaw motorcycle club in a fictional town of Charming. The Newcastle born plays SMACRO president after his father who founded the club was killed by his own best friend.
Now on its seventh season, "Sons of Anarchy" will return to FX on September.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
Join the Conversation
- ‘The X Factor Australia’ Winner is Marlisa Punzalan; Dean Ray Finishes as Runner-Up [VIDEOS]
- ‘The X Factor Australia’ Grand Final Sing-Off: Marlisa Punzalan, Dean Ray and Brothers 3 [VIDEOS]
- ‘The Walking Dead’ Season 5, Episode 3 Promo, Spoilers: Find Out What Happens In ‘Four Walls And A Roof’
- ‘Big Brother Australia’ Housemate Lawson Chooses Cat Over GF, Kisses Cat in Bed [VIDEO]
- 'American Horror Story' : Renewed For Season 5, Ryan Murphy Says 'We're Not Doing Space'
- Galaxy Note 4 vs Redmi Note 2 vs iPhone 6: Samsung in Danger with Depressing Q3
- iOS 8 Jailbreak Release Date Likely this October 2014 with Pangu not Evad3rs Firming Up as Creator
- Top 4 Free-To-Download Apps for Fuller iPhone 6, 6 Plus Experience
- Battery Saving Android 5.0 Lollipop Feature Extends The Battery Life Of Your Android Device By 90 Minutes And Displays Orange Bar While Power Saving Mode Is On
- Apple Inc. (AAPL) Stock Set to Soar Beyond $100 Despite Decline After New iPad Launch
- Russia Beefs Up Gold Reserves To Offset Heat of Sanctions And Undercut Dollar
- Australia's 'No Way' Anti-Asylum Seeker Poster Sparks Outrage