Etihad Offers Apartment on Air, Complete With Butler & Chef
By Vittorio Hernandez | May 6, 2014 8:48 AM EST
Middle Eastern air carrier Etihad launched on Monday a new service in Abu Dhabi, The Residence, which offers a 11.6-square metre 3-room upper deck cabin on its Etihad A380 jet. It has a living room, separate double bedroom, ensuite shower room and even an academy-trained personal butler, travel concierge and chef.
The luxury flat on air is a level higher for the United Arab Emirates flag carrier compared to its other private suites, the First Apartment. It is 74 per cent larger than current suites, features leather reclining armchair, swivel TV, mini bar, a personal vanity unit and wardrobe hidden behind a sliding door.
But it isn't just suite flyers who would enjoy these luxuries on air. First Class passengers on Etihad also enjoy a show room, while all passengers on Etihad A380s have mobile and Wi-fi connections.
Initially, The Residence will be available only in the Abu Dhabi-London route for $20,000 - whether there is one or there are two passengers using the unit. However, by June 2015, wealthy Australian passengers could avail of the service, beginning with Sydney and to be followed by Melbourne.
There is no pricing yet for the Australia-London route, but Etihad Chief Commercial Officer Peter Baumgartner hinted that based on the $20,000 ticket price for the Abu Dhabi-London route, it would likely cost $40,000 for the Sydney/Melbourne-London leg.
As part of its upgrade of services, Etihad also increased by 20 per cent the space in business class studio units for its A380 and B787 aircraft, while first and business class passengers would have a joint area, The Lobby, which is a bar and lounge with a semi-circular leather sofa, table and large TV screen.
While Baumgartner said the new service raises the bar, economy or first-class ticket holders, including Etihad employees, should not expect an upgrade. "We are going to be very pure on the pricing of the residence. It's something exclusive. We want people to aspire to it," he stressed.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Derek Jeter With The New York Yankees Through The Years [IN PICTURES]
- George Clooney And Amal Alamuddin's Wedding In Venice: Photos Of Groom And His Family, Friends [Slideshow]
- Photos Of George Clooney And Amal Alamuddin, They Get Married Again On Monday [Slideshow]
- NFL Recap: New York Giants 45, Washington Redskins 14 [PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- Australian Stock Market Report – Afternoon September 29, 2014
- Australian Stock Market Report – Morning September 29, 2014
- Australian Stock Market Report – Midday September 30, 2014
- Environment Ministry OKs $2.2B North Galilee Basin Rail Project On 23 Conditions
- Australian Stock Market Report – Afternoon September 30, 2014
- Forget Nexus 6 Release Date, Android Phones Will Soon Showcase Pure Google Apps & Features
- iPhone 6 vs Moto G 2014: Motorola’s Budget Smartphone Takes On Apple’s Premium Smartphone
- Galaxy Note 4 Pre Order Starts in the US, Get Samsung Note Ahead of October 14 Release
- $249.99 Motorola Moto 360 Smartwatch's First Promo Out; 'Stone Leather' Replaces 'Gray Leather' - Available In BestBuy [Watch Video]
- BlackBerry Passport Sold Out As Preorders Reached 200,000
- iOS 8 And iOS 8.0.2 Security Flaw Revealed, Anyone Can Easily Bypass Touch ID And Passcode Security Features
- Australia Cracks Down On International Money Laundering Syndicate