Australian Customs Arrest Victorian Man for Illegal Importation of 6,000 Weapons, Including iPhone-Shaped Tasers
By Vittorio Hernandez | May 6, 2014 8:13 AM EST
The Australian Customs and Border Protection Service (ACBPS) intercepted an illegal shipment of weapons from China into the country. The contraband includes 5,400 knuckled dusters and 790 tasers that looked like iPhones and torchers.
Taser guns deliver 50,000 volts of electricity into the body through two 21 feet electric wires. (Reuters)
There were also other types of electric shock devices and extendable batons, hidden between blankets and fitness equipment. The addressed was a tool shop in Thomastown.
The shipment could have ended up for sale in Australian streets, said Inspector Darren Franks of the Victoria Police, which collaborated with the ACBPS to stop the shipment.
Franks admitted the confiscated items, probably legal in China, have been around for a long time in different forms in other countries, but it is relatively new in Australia.
Tasers are intended to just shock victims and in some countries like Canada, police officers carry them. However, tasers are known to have killed people hit with its powerful electric zap.
The police have arrested a 43-year-old Victorian man for the illegal shipment. The offence is punishable by a maximum penalty of up to $425,000 and/or up to 10 years in jail.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- In Photos, Typhoon Rammasun Blasts the Philippines
- Typhoon Rammasun Claims 18 Lives in China, Incurs $4.32B Losses (PHOTOS)
- Ellen DeGeneres Caught Cheating with Mutual Friend Before Portia de Rossi’s Rehab – Reports [PHOTOS]
- Malaysia Airlines MH17: Vital Black Boxes Finally Land in Hands of Malaysian Authorities, Rebels Announce Ceasefire (PHOTOS/VIDEOS)
Join the Conversation
- Australian Stock Market Report – Midday July 23, 2014
- Australian Stock Market Report –Midday July 22, 2014
- Major European & U.S. Airlines Cancel Flights to Israel after Rocket Attack on Tel Aviv Airport
- BHP Billiton Goads Abbott Government to Also Repeal Mining Tax Law
- Australian Stock Market Report – Morning July 23, 2014
- Windows Phone 8.1 Update Rollout: 20 Nokia Lumia Phones Eligible and 13 New Features to be Added
- Moto 360 Price Speculations, Key Features, Strategic Release Date, Design: A Watch That is More Than Just Time
- Samsung Galaxy Note 4 Apps Leak Online, Five Fresh Features to Expect from the Android Smartphone
- Google Nexus 8 Release Date Soon Along with 2 More HTC Android Tablets – Reports
- Three New Moto G Successors Spotted in FCC Document Dubbed Moto G2, Moto M and More --Reports
- iPad Air 2 Release Date Will Skip IGZO Panel; To Rollout with Super-Slim iPad Mini Air
- Upcoming iPad Mini 3 Could be 30% Thinner and Likely be Called iPad Mini Air; Apple Q3 Results Show 9% Decrease in iPad Sales