Australian Customs Arrest Victorian Man for Illegal Importation of 6,000 Weapons, Including iPhone-Shaped Tasers
By Vittorio Hernandez | May 6, 2014 8:13 AM EST
The Australian Customs and Border Protection Service (ACBPS) intercepted an illegal shipment of weapons from China into the country. The contraband includes 5,400 knuckled dusters and 790 tasers that looked like iPhones and torchers.
Taser guns deliver 50,000 volts of electricity into the body through two 21 feet electric wires. (Reuters)
There were also other types of electric shock devices and extendable batons, hidden between blankets and fitness equipment. The addressed was a tool shop in Thomastown.
The shipment could have ended up for sale in Australian streets, said Inspector Darren Franks of the Victoria Police, which collaborated with the ACBPS to stop the shipment.
Franks admitted the confiscated items, probably legal in China, have been around for a long time in different forms in other countries, but it is relatively new in Australia.
Tasers are intended to just shock victims and in some countries like Canada, police officers carry them. However, tasers are known to have killed people hit with its powerful electric zap.
The police have arrested a 43-year-old Victorian man for the illegal shipment. The offence is punishable by a maximum penalty of up to $425,000 and/or up to 10 years in jail.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Still The World Champions: Team USA Overpowers Serbia, 129-92 To Win 2014 FIBA World Cup [PHOTOS]
- After Win Over Maidana, Mayweather Says He Is Prepared To Negotiate A Fight With Pacquiao
- From Fat To Fit: Celebrities Who Were Overweight Before They Became The Beauties That They Are
- USA Defeats Lithuania, 96-68; Americans Advance To Championship Round Of 2014 FIBA World Cup [PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- Australian Stock Market Report – Afternoon September 16, 2014
- Australian Stock Market Report – Afternoon September 17, 2014
- Financial Intelligence Agency Suspends Sydney Remittance Firm Over Suspicions It Is Used To Finance Terrorism In Middle East
- Australian Stock Market Report – Morning September 17, 2014
- Australian Stock Market Report – Morning September 18, 2014
- iOS 8 Release Date Of Sept 17 Has Arrived: Update Begins At 10AM Pacific Time, Upgrade Your iDevices With iOS 7.1.2 First To Install iOS 8
- Pregnant Kate Middleton May Call Off Malta Trip Due To Sickness: Royal Couple Will Move To Anmer Hall Residence
- Why Samsung Galaxy S5 Is Not The Best Smartphone To Purchase Now? If You Still Want To, Wait For A Month To Get It Cheap
- Apple iPad Air 2, iPad Mini 3 October Release Date Roundup: Freshly Leaked Protective Case Debuts Unique Vent Alongside Camera
- Ukraine Crisis: Poland Denies Supplying Weapons To Kiev
- Google Nexus 8 Release Date Countdown Begins Oct 8: 8 Killer Specs and Features to Expect
- Canadian IS Jihadist Wants to ‘Play Soccer’ with Heads of US Decapitated Soldiers