Boxing News 2014: Marcos Maidana Claims He Was Robbed of Victory; Mayweather Willing to Have a Rematch ‘If the Price Is Right’
By Vittorio Hernandez | May 6, 2014 8:04 AM EST
Argentinean boxer Marcos Maidana insists he was robbed of victory in his Saturday fight against American boxer Floyd Mayweather Jr.
Floyd Mayweather Jr. (L) of the U.S. avoids a punch from Marcos Maidana of Argentina during their WBC/WBA welterweight unification fight at the MGM Grand Garden Arena in Las Vegas, Nevada, May 3, 2014. REUTERS/Steve Marcus (UNITED STATES - Tags: SPORT BOXING TPX IMAGES OF THE DAY)
In view of the "unconvincing" win of Money May, reminiscent of Timothy Bradley's first win vs Manny Pacquiao, the unbeaten boxer who upped his record to 46-0 said he is willing to a rematch "if the price is right."
Mayweather gave September as the date of their next fight, assuring that it would not be the same fight they had on Saturday which he could have made easier if he wanted to, according to the WBA and WBC welterweight title holder.
Money May, who sustained a cut on the right eye in the fourth round and couldn't see for 2 rounds, admitted that Maidana is a rugged fighter. He said he matched Maidana's heavy fists to make the fight more interesting for the live audience as well as pay-per-view watchers.
Maidana maintained that contrary to referee Tony Week's rule that the cut on Mayweather's right eye was caused by an accidental head butt, it was the result of a punch. He added that Floyd did not hurt him with a punch.
"I trained hard, and I fought a good fight ... And I feel this was an injustice," Maidana said, quoted by the LA Times.
Bleacher Report noted that the 37-year-old Mayweather won only by a majority decision, not unanimous or by knockout. Judge Burt A Clements scored it 117-111 and Judge Dave Moretti scored it 116-112, but Judge Michael Pernick considered the bout a draw at 114-114.
In an analysis of the two boxer's punches, WBC tweeted that while 30-year-old Maidana threw more at 858, he was only 26 per cent effective, while Mayweather was 54 per cent effective despite unleashing lesser punches.
Bleacher Report described the fight as thrilling, rough and so close that despite two judges favouring Mayweather, it opined that many ringside and home viewers thought either of the two could have won it, that it was not a lopsided victory for Money May.
But because Maidana lacked "terribly fast feet or hands," Mayweather managed to survive the bout and even improved his fight record to 46-0, while pocketing a minimum guaranteed purse of $32 million.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Still The World Champions: Team USA Overpowers Serbia, 129-92 To Win 2014 FIBA World Cup [PHOTOS]
- After Win Over Maidana, Mayweather Says He Is Prepared To Negotiate A Fight With Pacquiao
- From Fat To Fit: Celebrities Who Were Overweight Before They Became The Beauties That They Are
- Kendall Jenner Could Be Next Victoria's Secret Angel [PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- Manny Pacquiao Begins Training Sans Freddie Roach
- Rafael Nadal’s Coach Reveals The Spanish Athlete Will Be Back On Court Soon
- Boxing News 2014: Showtime VP Favours Pacquiao As Mayweather’s Next Ring Opponent; Money May Insists Fight Should Be Over Showtime PPV Only
- Three Reasons Why Brock Lesnar Must Fight The Undertaker At Night Of Champions And Not John Cena [VIDEO]
- Michael Schumacher Rehabilitation Update: F1 Champion In-Home Health Care And Services Consist Of 15 Medical Staff
- iOS 8 Release Date Of Sept 17 Has Arrived: Update Begins At 10AM Pacific Time, Upgrade Your iDevices With iOS 7.1.2 First To Install iOS 8
- Pregnant Kate Middleton May Call Off Malta Trip Due To Sickness: Royal Couple Will Move To Anmer Hall Residence
- Apple iPad Air 2, iPad Mini 3 October Release Date Roundup: Freshly Leaked Protective Case Debuts Unique Vent Alongside Camera
- Why Samsung Galaxy S5 Is Not The Best Smartphone To Purchase Now? If You Still Want To, Wait For A Month To Get It Cheap
- Ukraine Crisis: Poland Denies Supplying Weapons To Kiev
- Google Nexus 8 Release Date Countdown Begins Oct 8: 8 Killer Specs and Features to Expect
- Malaysia Airlines Flight MF 370: Indonesian Police Chief Claims He Knows What Happened To Missing Jet