Google Glass Worth 'Much Less' Than Asking Price
By Naveena Joy | May 6, 2014 6:17 AM EST
Google may be providing a high-tech device to the customers, but it's hugely charging the market.
Google Glass is costing $1500 to the users. But according to reports, the actual price of the Glass is estimated at $79.78.
A Google logo is seen at the entrance to the company's offices in Toronto September 5, 2013.
TechInsights, the name behind Teardown.com, analyzed all its components and calculated that Google Glass costs less than $100 to manufacture. The actual figure was reported to be less than $80 per unit, a cost for the components combined.
Google has dismissed the report to a spokesman of the The Wall Street Journal saying its findings are "absolutely wrong."
According to the analysis by Teardown, the features of Google Glass include Android 4.0.4 Ice cream Sandwich operating system, 640 x 360 display screen, 570 mAh battery life, 5 MP camera, WiFi/Bluetooth, GPS, accelerometer, compass and gryoscope as its connectivity and sensor system, 16 GB NAND, 1 GB DDR2 SDRAM and Texas Instruments OMAP4430 processor.
The assessment of all these separate components clearly showed Google charges a massive overpriced product. Google Glass's most expensive element is its Texas Instruments OMAP4430 processor, which is worth as low as $13.96.
Apparently, there were other costs that need to be added along with the component prices. Research and development in finding the exact device and efforts put in to align the Glass together would be high considering its packaging.
But putting all the costs together, it does not seem to be reaching the $1500 mark. To get an exact value of the product, Teardown will take a deeper look at the available data.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Still The World Champions: Team USA Overpowers Serbia, 129-92 To Win 2014 FIBA World Cup [PHOTOS]
- Pope Francis: World War III Has Started On Piecemeal
- After Win Over Maidana, Mayweather Says He Is Prepared To Negotiate A Fight With Pacquiao
- From Fat To Fit: Celebrities Who Were Overweight Before They Became The Beauties That They Are
Join the Conversation
- ‘Minecraft PS Vita,’ PS4 And Xbox One Updates And More On The Microsoft Deal
- ‘Pokemon Omega Ruby and Alpha Sapphire’ Confirmed With Demo, More Info Revealed
- 'The Sims 4' Mods: Buff Emotion Changes, Pay Very Low Bills And Enable Advanced Debug For Cheats
- 'Dragon Age Inquisition': Three Classes Confirmed—Warrior, Mage And Rogue Abilities Exposed
- iPhone 6 Plus Sold Out Apple Store Crash Due to Pre-orders: Where to Place Your Orders and the Packages Offered in the US and UK
- iPhone 6 vs iPhone 6 Plus vs Galaxy S5 and HTC One M8: Performance, CPU and Health
- Google Release Roundup: Nexus 5 2014, Nexus 6, Nexus 8 and Android L Killer Features
- iPhone 6 And IPhone 6 Plus Sold Out, New Stocks To Arrive In October
- Moto G (Gen 2) vs. Xiaomi Redmi 1S—Specifications, Features And Price Showdown
- Nexus 6, 8 Release Dates Imminent as Moto X Pre-Order Begins & Nexus 7 Deals Ramp Up