Google Glass Worth 'Much Less' Than Asking Price
By Naveena Joy | May 6, 2014 6:17 AM EST
Google may be providing a high-tech device to the customers, but it's hugely charging the market.
Google Glass is costing $1500 to the users. But according to reports, the actual price of the Glass is estimated at $79.78.
A Google logo is seen at the entrance to the company's offices in Toronto September 5, 2013.
TechInsights, the name behind Teardown.com, analyzed all its components and calculated that Google Glass costs less than $100 to manufacture. The actual figure was reported to be less than $80 per unit, a cost for the components combined.
Google has dismissed the report to a spokesman of the The Wall Street Journal saying its findings are "absolutely wrong."
According to the analysis by Teardown, the features of Google Glass include Android 4.0.4 Ice cream Sandwich operating system, 640 x 360 display screen, 570 mAh battery life, 5 MP camera, WiFi/Bluetooth, GPS, accelerometer, compass and gryoscope as its connectivity and sensor system, 16 GB NAND, 1 GB DDR2 SDRAM and Texas Instruments OMAP4430 processor.
The assessment of all these separate components clearly showed Google charges a massive overpriced product. Google Glass's most expensive element is its Texas Instruments OMAP4430 processor, which is worth as low as $13.96.
Apparently, there were other costs that need to be added along with the component prices. Research and development in finding the exact device and efforts put in to align the Glass together would be high considering its packaging.
But putting all the costs together, it does not seem to be reaching the $1500 mark. To get an exact value of the product, Teardown will take a deeper look at the available data.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Pope Francis Meets Sudanese Woman Who Was Spared Death for Apostasy (PHOTOS)
- Malaysia Airlines Flight MH17: King Williem-Alexander, Queen Maxima Hold Solemn Reception Ceremony for Victims
- Jennifer Lawrence & Nicholas Hoult Allegedly Split: Mad Max Actor Cheats with Kristen Stewart & Riley Keough - Reports
- Transfer News: FC Barcelona Shockingly Sign Valencia Defender [PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- Samsung Galaxy Note 3 N9005 Official Android 4.4.2 KitKat XXUFNF4 Firmware Manual Installation
- PS4 vs. Xbox One Games: The Last of Us Remastered Photo Mode Leaked Shots; Halo: Master Chief Collection Detailed
- The SIMS 4 Official System Requirements Reveal Low Spec Demands; Release Date on September 2
- Dragon Age 3 Inquisition Romance: Cassandra Pentaghast, Dorian, Cullen, Sera, Iron Bull and Josephine Montilyet
- Minecraft 1.8 Snapshot 14w30c Released; Partnership with Lego to Reveal Toys This Fall
- Apple iPhone 6 on Two Confirmed Release Dates, New Parts Leaked Suggesting Bigger iPhone to Come
- Xiaomi Mi4 vs OnePlusOne vs Nexus 5: Mi4 is the ‘Perfect’ Phone
- Google Nexus 6, 8 with Android L on Release Date Promises Killer Mobile Device Experience
- Israeli Women Stripping Naked for IDF Soldiers
- HTC One M8 Android 4.4.3 KitKat Update Roll Out, Introducing the HTC One Remix
- Shocking Video of Pedigree Dog Culling in Bali Emerges [Video]
- Sony Xperia Z3 Specs Leaked with More Killer Features Ahead of Samsung Galaxy Note 4, iPhone 6