Google Glass Worth 'Much Less' Than Asking Price
By Naveena Joy | May 6, 2014 6:17 AM EST
Google may be providing a high-tech device to the customers, but it's hugely charging the market.
Google Glass is costing $1500 to the users. But according to reports, the actual price of the Glass is estimated at $79.78.
A Google logo is seen at the entrance to the company's offices in Toronto September 5, 2013.
TechInsights, the name behind Teardown.com, analyzed all its components and calculated that Google Glass costs less than $100 to manufacture. The actual figure was reported to be less than $80 per unit, a cost for the components combined.
Google has dismissed the report to a spokesman of the The Wall Street Journal saying its findings are "absolutely wrong."
According to the analysis by Teardown, the features of Google Glass include Android 4.0.4 Ice cream Sandwich operating system, 640 x 360 display screen, 570 mAh battery life, 5 MP camera, WiFi/Bluetooth, GPS, accelerometer, compass and gryoscope as its connectivity and sensor system, 16 GB NAND, 1 GB DDR2 SDRAM and Texas Instruments OMAP4430 processor.
The assessment of all these separate components clearly showed Google charges a massive overpriced product. Google Glass's most expensive element is its Texas Instruments OMAP4430 processor, which is worth as low as $13.96.
Apparently, there were other costs that need to be added along with the component prices. Research and development in finding the exact device and efforts put in to align the Glass together would be high considering its packaging.
But putting all the costs together, it does not seem to be reaching the $1500 mark. To get an exact value of the product, Teardown will take a deeper look at the available data.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
Join the Conversation
- 'The Sims 4' First Expansion Pack To Roll Out Tomorrow With Halloween Theme Via Teaser Images
- The Pirate Bay Contains Malicious Advertisements: Using TPB Can Infect Your Computer With Malware
- Windows Insider Program: How to Get Windows 10 the Next Generation Operating System
- ‘Destiny’ New DLC For PlayStation And Xbox: Future Missions, Strikes And Raids Revealed
- Xbox One News: Windows 10 Hinted For Xbox One; Deals With Gold And Xbox One Counterfeits Detailed
- Google HTC Nexus 9 Tablet October 24 Launch Date Benefits Many
- Apple iPhone 6 vs. OnePlus One: With Invitation-Only Model Rested, OnePlus One Can Be A Real Threat To iPhone 6
- Galaxy Note 4 vs Nexus 6: Which Smartphone Dominates
- MH 370 Search In Ocean To Intensify With Hi Tech Ships Joining The Plane Hunt From October
- New Windows OS Is Not Windows 9, Microsoft To Launch Windows 10 As New OS Build
- Samsung Aware Of Gap Issue On Galaxy Note 4, Mentions It As Important Manufacturing Feature In Note 4 User Manual
- Airstrikes Against ISIS Has Claimed Innocent Lives In Syria, Dubbed ‘Ineffective’ By Jihadi Fighters, US Military To Ask For More Spending Money