Google Glass Worth 'Much Less' Than Asking Price
By Naveena Joy | May 6, 2014 6:17 AM EST
Google may be providing a high-tech device to the customers, but it's hugely charging the market.
Google Glass is costing $1500 to the users. But according to reports, the actual price of the Glass is estimated at $79.78.
A Google logo is seen at the entrance to the company's offices in Toronto September 5, 2013.
TechInsights, the name behind Teardown.com, analyzed all its components and calculated that Google Glass costs less than $100 to manufacture. The actual figure was reported to be less than $80 per unit, a cost for the components combined.
Google has dismissed the report to a spokesman of the The Wall Street Journal saying its findings are "absolutely wrong."
According to the analysis by Teardown, the features of Google Glass include Android 4.0.4 Ice cream Sandwich operating system, 640 x 360 display screen, 570 mAh battery life, 5 MP camera, WiFi/Bluetooth, GPS, accelerometer, compass and gryoscope as its connectivity and sensor system, 16 GB NAND, 1 GB DDR2 SDRAM and Texas Instruments OMAP4430 processor.
The assessment of all these separate components clearly showed Google charges a massive overpriced product. Google Glass's most expensive element is its Texas Instruments OMAP4430 processor, which is worth as low as $13.96.
Apparently, there were other costs that need to be added along with the component prices. Research and development in finding the exact device and efforts put in to align the Glass together would be high considering its packaging.
But putting all the costs together, it does not seem to be reaching the $1500 mark. To get an exact value of the product, Teardown will take a deeper look at the available data.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Join the Conversation
- LG G4: Speculations About The Next Big Thing For 2015
- ‘Halo: The Master Chief Collection' Xbox One Fixes And Free Gifts, Bonnie Ross Apologises For Issues
- PS4 vs. Xbox One Black Friday Sale 2014, Cyber Monday Deals: Walmart’s PS4 Bundles And Discounted Games With Gold
- ‘GTA V:' 1.19 Patch, Heists DLC Release With ‘Next Major Update’ Possible—Report
- ‘GTA 5 Online’ Gets Errors Despite Patches; Devs Update Fans On Online Heists
- Russia Is Ready for Shooting War, Will Likely Win Looming Nuclear Showdown with U.S. – Report
- Microsoft Band Runs Out Of Stock, But Offers $10 Gift Voucher To Wait-Listed Customers
- Google Joins Forces with GoPro Inc with New Google Maps Focusing on Destination
- Target Early Black Friday 2014 Sale Ad Released For Nov. 26, 2014 Includes Deals On Toys, HDTVs And Video Games Such As ‘FIFA 15’ And ‘NHL 15’ For Xbox 360 [WATCH VIDEO]
- 16GB iPhone 6 for $99 at Sam’s Club is the Best 2014 Black Friday Deal Around
- Lumia Update Will Come Soon Confirms Microsoft
- Black Friday And Cyber Monday Sale 2014: AT&T's Cricket Wireless Offers Discounts On Lumia 1320, Galaxy S5, S4 And HTC Desire 510