Google Glass Worth 'Much Less' Than Asking Price
By Naveena Joy | May 6, 2014 6:17 AM EST
Google may be providing a high-tech device to the customers, but it's hugely charging the market.
Google Glass is costing $1500 to the users. But according to reports, the actual price of the Glass is estimated at $79.78.
A Google logo is seen at the entrance to the company's offices in Toronto September 5, 2013.
TechInsights, the name behind Teardown.com, analyzed all its components and calculated that Google Glass costs less than $100 to manufacture. The actual figure was reported to be less than $80 per unit, a cost for the components combined.
Google has dismissed the report to a spokesman of the The Wall Street Journal saying its findings are "absolutely wrong."
According to the analysis by Teardown, the features of Google Glass include Android 4.0.4 Ice cream Sandwich operating system, 640 x 360 display screen, 570 mAh battery life, 5 MP camera, WiFi/Bluetooth, GPS, accelerometer, compass and gryoscope as its connectivity and sensor system, 16 GB NAND, 1 GB DDR2 SDRAM and Texas Instruments OMAP4430 processor.
The assessment of all these separate components clearly showed Google charges a massive overpriced product. Google Glass's most expensive element is its Texas Instruments OMAP4430 processor, which is worth as low as $13.96.
Apparently, there were other costs that need to be added along with the component prices. Research and development in finding the exact device and efforts put in to align the Glass together would be high considering its packaging.
But putting all the costs together, it does not seem to be reaching the $1500 mark. To get an exact value of the product, Teardown will take a deeper look at the available data.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- 2014 MLB World Series Game 1: San Francisco Giants 7, Kansas City Royals 1 [PHOTOS]
- 2014 MLB World Series - Game 2: Kansas City Royals 7, San Francisco Giants 2 [PHOTOS]
- NFL Thursday Recap - Denver Broncos 35, San Diego Chargers 21: Peyton Manning Has 3 TDs In Easy Win [PHOTOS]
- 2014 MLB World Series Game 3: Kansas City Royals 3, San Francisco Giants 2 [PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- Samsung Galaxy Note Edge and Note 4 Designer Secrets: Behind The Materials, Edge Screen And S Pen
- 'The Sims 4' Mac Version: Bugs, Missing Elements Players Must Be Prepared Of
- 'Destiny' vs. 'Titanfall': New Legendary Gears Spotted And Update 8 Features Detailed
- How To Play 4K Graphics Quality On 1080p Games With Any Monitor Using NVIDIA Graphics Cards
- PS4 v. Xbox One: More Details For Firmware 2.0 Update, Xbox Screenshot Feature And Paid Xbox Music Emerge
- Xiaomi Redmi 1S vs. Sharp Aquos Crystal – Specifications, Features And Price Showdown
- Verizon Motorola Droid Turbo Leaked Live Images Surfaces, Scheduled To Get Unveiled On Oct 28
- Update HTC One M7 with LG G2 with Android 4.4.2 as Sprint OTA: Fixes and Installation
- U.S. Targets Buyers of ISIS Oil, Threatens Sanctions
- ISIS Syria Airstrike Bombing Has Killed 550 People, Civilians Included
- Russia Blocking OSCE Monitoring Of Its Border With Ukraine
- Russia Slams US 'Double Standards' In The Fight Against ISIS