Michael Schumacher Coma Update: 'Shocked' Sebastian Vettel Saddened Over F1 Legend Condition
By Lou Ramon Aguila | May 6, 2014 5:47 AM EST
Sebastian Vettel, Red Bull racing driver and four-time Formula One champion, admitted that he's still shocked by Schumacher's accident. He stressed Schumi's situation reminds him anything could change in a blink of an eye.
Michael Schumacher suffered head injuries after crashing into a rock while skiing.
In an interview with German news magazine Focus, Vettel said the ski accident that Schumacher experienced was still bothering him every time he thinks about the tragic incident.
"It's hard for me to talk about it. I'm still shocked. Michael's accident shows how quickly things can change," Vettel, a close friend of the German car-racing driver, said.
The seven-time Formula one champion suffered severe head injuries that put him in a medically induced coma for months in a French ski resort of Meribel in December 2013.
He's still considered in a critical but stable condition. But his manager Sabine Kahm cited the Ferrari driver had shown some signs of consciousness and progress.
"There are short moments of consciousness and he is showing small signs of progress," Kehm told the Daily Telegraph. "There are moments when he is awake and moments when he is conscious."
"Of course I am not a doctor, but medically, there is a distinction between being awake and being conscious, the latter meaning there is an ability to interact with his surroundings. I don't want to disclose details out of respect for the family, but we have no doubt at all in the abilities of the doctors treating Michael, they are experts in their field."
To avoid false reports from circulating, Schumacher's camp decided to stop media coverage as the athlete undergoes the next phase of his recovery.
"Our plan and our desire would be that from the moment in which Michael can go into a rehab clinic, this media coverage will stop," Kehm told ARD Television, as reported by Auto123.com.
"Michael Schumacher is in a coma and cannot decide what is reported about him," Kehm said.
"We, of course, know how he deals with such things and try in his interest to handle these matters for him."
Kehm added his family members remain optimistic that Schumacher will wake up from his coma soon.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Kate Middleton Suffocated in Kensington Palace, Queen Elizabeth Reported War With The Duchess [PHOTOS]
- Chris Martin Dating Reports: Jennifer Lawrence Vs Gwyneth Paltrow [PHOTOS]
- 2014 MTV Video Music Awards: Everything To Know [PHOTOS]
- British Style Icon Kate Middleton Fashion Talk With Camilla Parker-Bowles Daughter-In-Law [PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- Trading Jeremy Lin Was A Huge Mistake For Houston Rockets
- Floyd Sr Already Endorsing Manny Pacquiao vs. Floyd Fight After Anticipated Victory Over Maidana
- Manny Pacquiao To Gauge KO Power Against Chris Algieri
- Dallas Cowboys Have Worst Linebackers in History, Tony Romo To Miss Games Again – Gerry Fraley
- Top 10 Highest Paid Tennis Players
- James Foley Beheading Video Has Play-Acting Portions – Video Experts Say
- 4.7-Inch, 5.5-Inch iPhone 6 Models Confirmed with Similar Build, Cam Features & 300+ Screen Pixels on Release Date
- Apple iPhone 6 Release Date, iPhone 6C or 6L Anticipation: Three Things Should Matter To New Phone Shoppers
- Xiaomi Mi4 vs iPhone 6: Why Forecasts Favor Mi4 as The Next Best Phone Against iPhone 6
- James Foley: More Chilling Information Revealed By Escaped Journalists
- Companies Push Back IPO Plans Due to Mega Alibaba Share Launch
- Upcoming Sony Xperia Z3 With Dual-SIM Support Gets Approved In China; Full Specifications Revealed; Amber-Coloured Xperia Z3 Tipped