Michael Schumacher Coma Update: 'Shocked' Sebastian Vettel Saddened Over F1 Legend Condition
By Lou Ramon Aguila | May 6, 2014 5:47 AM EST
Sebastian Vettel, Red Bull racing driver and four-time Formula One champion, admitted that he's still shocked by Schumacher's accident. He stressed Schumi's situation reminds him anything could change in a blink of an eye.
Michael Schumacher suffered head injuries after crashing into a rock while skiing.
In an interview with German news magazine Focus, Vettel said the ski accident that Schumacher experienced was still bothering him every time he thinks about the tragic incident.
"It's hard for me to talk about it. I'm still shocked. Michael's accident shows how quickly things can change," Vettel, a close friend of the German car-racing driver, said.
The seven-time Formula one champion suffered severe head injuries that put him in a medically induced coma for months in a French ski resort of Meribel in December 2013.
He's still considered in a critical but stable condition. But his manager Sabine Kahm cited the Ferrari driver had shown some signs of consciousness and progress.
"There are short moments of consciousness and he is showing small signs of progress," Kehm told the Daily Telegraph. "There are moments when he is awake and moments when he is conscious."
"Of course I am not a doctor, but medically, there is a distinction between being awake and being conscious, the latter meaning there is an ability to interact with his surroundings. I don't want to disclose details out of respect for the family, but we have no doubt at all in the abilities of the doctors treating Michael, they are experts in their field."
To avoid false reports from circulating, Schumacher's camp decided to stop media coverage as the athlete undergoes the next phase of his recovery.
"Our plan and our desire would be that from the moment in which Michael can go into a rehab clinic, this media coverage will stop," Kehm told ARD Television, as reported by Auto123.com.
"Michael Schumacher is in a coma and cannot decide what is reported about him," Kehm said.
"We, of course, know how he deals with such things and try in his interest to handle these matters for him."
Kehm added his family members remain optimistic that Schumacher will wake up from his coma soon.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Prince Harry & Camilla Thurlow Getting Serious, St. Tropez Holiday Before The Prince’s 30th Birthday [PHOTOS]
- Angelina Jolie & Brad Pitt Heads to Malta For New Movie After A Whirlwind French Wedding [PHOTOS]
- Prince William & Kate Middleton Caught Flirting In A Countryside Dinner Date [PHOTOS]
- Chris Martin Getting Serious With Jennifer Lawrence, Actress Joining Coldplay Tour [PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- 2014 FIBA World Cup Group B: Greece vs. Philippines Live Streaming Info, Betting Odds and Preview
- 2014 FIBA Basketball World Cup Live Streaming Info: USA vs. Turkey Preview, Starting Lineups [VIDEO]
- 2014 FIBA World Cup Group Stage: Puerto Rico vs. Argentina Live Streaming Info and Preview
- 2014 FIBA Basketball World Cup Live Streaming Info: France vs. Serbia Preview, Starting Lineups [VIDEO]
- FIBA Basketball World Cup Live Streaming Info: Argentina vs. Philippines Preview, Starting Lineups
- Apple iPhone 6 Actual Release Date after September 9 Confirmed 128GB Variant with New Resolution
- Moto G2 Release Roundup: Specs, Pricing, and Release Date Details
- PlayStation 4 Killing Xbox One Costing Microsoft Millions But It's Fine
- Google Chrome 64-bit for Windows 8 and Window 7 with Mac Beta Available
- Apple iOS 8 vs Android 5.0 L: OS Wars Puts Android to Lower while Apple to Higher
- Nexus 6 on Release Date Confirmed with Phablet-Size Display as FCC Filing Hints of 5.9-Inch Screen
- Pricey iPhone 6 on Release Date Likely but with 3X Retina Resolution & Mobile Payment Service – Reports