Michael Schumacher Coma Update: 'Shocked' Sebastian Vettel Saddened Over F1 Legend Condition
By Lou Ramon Aguila | May 6, 2014 5:47 AM EST
Sebastian Vettel, Red Bull racing driver and four-time Formula One champion, admitted that he's still shocked by Schumacher's accident. He stressed Schumi's situation reminds him anything could change in a blink of an eye.
Michael Schumacher suffered head injuries after crashing into a rock while skiing.
In an interview with German news magazine Focus, Vettel said the ski accident that Schumacher experienced was still bothering him every time he thinks about the tragic incident.
"It's hard for me to talk about it. I'm still shocked. Michael's accident shows how quickly things can change," Vettel, a close friend of the German car-racing driver, said.
The seven-time Formula one champion suffered severe head injuries that put him in a medically induced coma for months in a French ski resort of Meribel in December 2013.
He's still considered in a critical but stable condition. But his manager Sabine Kahm cited the Ferrari driver had shown some signs of consciousness and progress.
"There are short moments of consciousness and he is showing small signs of progress," Kehm told the Daily Telegraph. "There are moments when he is awake and moments when he is conscious."
"Of course I am not a doctor, but medically, there is a distinction between being awake and being conscious, the latter meaning there is an ability to interact with his surroundings. I don't want to disclose details out of respect for the family, but we have no doubt at all in the abilities of the doctors treating Michael, they are experts in their field."
To avoid false reports from circulating, Schumacher's camp decided to stop media coverage as the athlete undergoes the next phase of his recovery.
"Our plan and our desire would be that from the moment in which Michael can go into a rehab clinic, this media coverage will stop," Kehm told ARD Television, as reported by Auto123.com.
"Michael Schumacher is in a coma and cannot decide what is reported about him," Kehm said.
"We, of course, know how he deals with such things and try in his interest to handle these matters for him."
Kehm added his family members remain optimistic that Schumacher will wake up from his coma soon.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- G20 Summit Awkward Moments: Putin Yawns, Mystery Bubbles Appear, F18 Drama Ensues
- Real Life ‘Frozen’: Snow Overwhelms The US, Kills 7; More To Come (Pictures)
- Angelina Jolie, Brad Pitt in Sydney for ‘Unbroken’ Red Carpet Premiere [PHOTOS]
- ‘The Walking Dead’ Season 5, Episode 8 Spoilers: Daryl Dixon Is Set To Burn The Place Down in ‘Coda’
Join the Conversation
- Boxing News 2014: Pacquiao Considers Ditching Jessica Sanchez To Sing Philippine National Anthem In Favour Of Born-Again Pastors; Stallone & Schwarzenegger to Watch Bout
- Michael Phelps' Lover Reveals She Was Born Intersex In Lengthy Facebook Post
- Boxing News: Pacquiao And Mayweather Might Meet 'In The First Six Months Of Next Year' - Bob Arum
- Dallas Mavericks Owner Mark Cuban Wants The Los Angeles Lakers To ‘Suck Forever’
- Floyd Mayweather Jr. Avoiding Fight, Always Making Excuses— Manny Pacquiao
- Walmart Early Price Matching Special Event On Nov. 21, 2014 Matches Its Competitors' Black Friday 2014 Prices And Includes Exclusive Deals For Samsung LED HDTVs And iPad Air 2 [WATCH VIDEO]
- US Plane Flying Over Russian Skies Spotted; Vladimir Putin Ready For 'Practical Cooperation' With US
- Microsoft Band Wearable Gadget At $199 Is A Sell-Out
- 6 Big Reasons iPhone 6 Plus is Must-Have Black Friday, Christmas 2014 Buy
- Nexus 6 Release Date And Price Under AT&T, T-Mobile And Sprint Listed
- NATO To Russia: 'Pull Back Your Troops'
- Alleged 'Microsoft Lumia 1030' Front Panel Leaked With Capacitive Buttons; 'Xbox One' Owners To Get Free Goodies On Anniversary