Lok Sabha Elections 2014: Centre Drops its Move to Appoint Judge into 'Snoopgate' Scandal in Gujarat
By Rama Mohan | May 5, 2014 11:08 PM EST
The Union government on 5 May decided to drop its decision to name a judge to investigate the snooping of a young woman by police in Gujarat, allegedly at the behest of state Chief Minister Narendra Modi.
Gujarat's Chief Minister Narendra Modi
Nationalist Congress Party (NCP) and National Conference, the two key alliance partners of the United Progressive Alliance government, have openly expressed their opposition to the probe against Modi and his government, at the fag end the Union government.
The Union government is understood to have said that it has decided to entrust the task of appointing a judge, to probe the "snoopgate" episode in Gujarat, to the next government at the Centre, to be formed after the ongoing elections to the Lok Sabha.
Last week, Union Ministers Kapil Sibal and Sushil Kumar Shinde had told the media persons that a judge would be appointed to probe the snooping of a woman in Gujarat by the state police, allegedly at the instance of Modi. Even BJP attacked the Congress over the government's decision to probe by a judge into the snooping. BJP said that the UPA was practicing vendetta as it has realised its defeat is imminent in the ongoing general elections.
BJP questioned the timing of the government's move as the it has said that the cabinet had decided to appoint a judge into the snooping case in last December, and it could not finalise on the judge all these months.
It is said that NCP leader Praful Patel and National Conference leader and Jammu and Kashmir Chief Minister Omar Abdullah have opposed the government's decision to probe the snooping case now. The time is not appropriate for the probe, the two leaders have reportedly opined.
It is alleged that the Gujarat police, on the orders of the then-home minister Amit Shah, a close aide of Modi, carried out an illegal surveillance on a woman architect in Gujarat. And it is also reported that Shah did it on the behest of Modi.
To report problems or to leave feedback about this article, e-mail:
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Prince William & Kate Middleton Caught Flirting In A Countryside Dinner Date [PHOTOS]
- Kate Middleton’s Mom Accused Of Being A Social Climber, Prince George Not Seen By Relatives
- Prince William & Kate Middleton Boards London Train in Casual Disguise, Royal Couple’s Incognito Plan A Huge Hit [PHOTOS]
- Angelina Jolie & Brad Pitt’s Top Secret Wedding Tramps Jennifer Aniston’s ‘Friends’ Reunion & Pregnancy Talks [PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- Europe, US Next on ISIS’ Hit List, Says Saudi King; Seized ISIS Laptop Reveals Terrifying Bio-Warfare Plans
- Russia Massacres Ukrainian Volunteer Battalions—Surviving Members Alleged
- Teachers’ Strike in BC, Canada Stalls 1st Day of School; Labour Dispute Could Last Even After Labour Day
- ISIS Will Target the U.S. Power Grid, Former CIA Says; Could Tap Other Fellow Extremist Groups to Do the Job
- Australia Races Against Potential Genocide In Iraq
- 5.5-Inch iPhone 6 is iPhone Air on Sept 19 Release Date: 5 Things to Consider Before Buying
- Pricey iPhone 6 on Release Date Likely but with 3X Retina Resolution & Mobile Payment Service – Reports
- Nexus 6 Release Date Update: Moto X+1 Look Leaked, Nexus X or Shamu Moved to Demo Phase
- Google Nexus 8 Confirmed as HTC T1 aka Volantis/Flounder with Freshly-Leaked Specs & Features – Reports
- iPhone 6 On Release Date To Feature Qualcomm MDM9625M LTE, 1GB RAM, Mobile Payment Deal With AMEX, 1334x750 Display
- Leaker of Actresses Nude Photos Accepting PayPal Donations in Exchange For Posting Alleged Sex Video of Jennifer Lawrence, Has Naked Pictures of 100 Hollywood A-Listers