Monaco Royal Family Calls Nicole Kidman’s ‘Grace of Monaco’ Film a ‘Farce’
By Anne Lu | May 5, 2014 9:49 PM EST
The Monaco royal family has denounced Nicole Kidman’s “Grace of Monaco” yet again. The controversial film, which tells the story of former Hollywood star-turned-princess Grace Kelly, shouldn’t be called a biopic as it is a “farce,” according to the palace.
Princess Charlene (L) and Prince Albert II of Monaco attend the final match between Roger Federer and Stanislas Wawrinka of Switzerland at the Monte Carlo Masters in Monaco April 20, 2014. REUTERS/Eric Gaillard
The film, according to the trailer, focuses on Kelly’s life after leaving her Hollywood career to play wife to Prince Rainier III of Monaco. When she is offered a chance to go back to acting, she considers accepting the role, but her roles as mother, wife, and royalty demand that she give her former life behind.
Kidman plays the titular character.
Prince Albert II, Kelly’s son and who is the reigning monarch of the Principality of Monaco, has already criticised the film in 2013, describing it as “needlessly glamorised and historically inaccurate.”
But just in case it isn’t clear, the Prince and his sisters, Princess Caroline and Princess Stephanie, don’t want anything to do with the film. The palace has released another more recent statement, saying that it is dissociating itself from Kidman’s film.
“On the occasion of the upcoming screening of the film ‘Grace of Monaco’ at the opening of the Cannes Festival on May 14, 2014 and its release in theatres, the Prince’s Palace would like to reiterate that this feature cannot under any circumstances be classified as a biopic,” the press release from the palace reads.
“The trailer appears to be a farce and confirms the totally fictional nature of this film. It reinforces the certainty, left after reading the script, that this production, a page of the Principality’s history, is based on erroneous and dubious historical references.
“The director and producers refused to take into consideration the many observations made by the Palace because these called into question the entire script and the characters of the film.
“The Princely family does not in any way wish to be associated with this film which reflects no reality and regrets that its history has been misappropriated for purely commercial purposes.”
“Grace of Monaco” also stars Tim Roth and Frank Langella among many others. It is slated for release on May 14 at the Cannes Film Festival.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Top 5 Richest Tennis Athletes
- Angelina Jolie & Brad Pitt Heads to Malta For New Movie After A Whirlwind French Wedding [PHOTOS]
- 2014 US Open Update (Day 4 - Men's Singles): Murray, Djokovic, Raonic and Isner Advance to 3rd Round [PHOTOS]
- Kate Middleton’s Mom Accused Of Being A Social Climber, Prince George Not Seen By Relatives
Join the Conversation
- Hilarious Reactions For Angelina Jolie & Brad Pitt’s Secret Wedding: George Clooney, Jennifer Aniston, Billy Bob Thornton
- Mila Kunis-Ashton Kutcher Baby; Actor ‘Not Letting Mila Out Of His Sight’
- ‘Sons of Anarchy’ Season 7 Exclusive New Trailer, Charlie Hunnam Is Guy Ritchie’s Choice For King Arthur [VIDEO]
- ‘Castle’ Update: Watch Stana Katic, Jon, Seamus Take Bucket Challenge At Season 7 Set, Nathan Fillion Missing [VIDEOS]
- ‘Bachelor In Paradise’ Episode 6 Spoilers: Next Week Tests Relationships And Sees A Shocking Exit
- Apple iWatch is iPhone 6 Accessory on Sept 19 Release Date: 6 Confirmed Specs & Features
- iPhone 6 Release Date Update: 4.7-Inch Model Scores 65.8% In Screen-To-Size Ratio; A Surprise Entry Scales Top Spot [List Attached]
- Canada Vs Russia War Erupts Via Twitter on Russia-Not Russia Maps
- Product Recall Alert: Hewlett-Packard Pulls Out 6M Power Cords from US, Canada Over Fire Hazard Concerns, Australia Also Affected
- ISIS Wants $6.6M and Release of Aafia Siddiqui in Exchange of Head of Female US Humanitarian Aid Worker, 1st American Fighting for Jihadis Dead
- Ukraine Ceasefire Looks Remote As Putin Talks Tough At Meeting With Poroshenko
- Windows 9 To Include Interactive Live Tiles and Notification Center in Metro 2.0