Monaco Royal Family Calls Nicole Kidman’s ‘Grace of Monaco’ Film a ‘Farce’
By Anne Lu | May 5, 2014 9:49 PM EST
The Monaco royal family has denounced Nicole Kidman’s “Grace of Monaco” yet again. The controversial film, which tells the story of former Hollywood star-turned-princess Grace Kelly, shouldn’t be called a biopic as it is a “farce,” according to the palace.
Princess Charlene (L) and Prince Albert II of Monaco attend the final match between Roger Federer and Stanislas Wawrinka of Switzerland at the Monte Carlo Masters in Monaco April 20, 2014. REUTERS/Eric Gaillard
The film, according to the trailer, focuses on Kelly’s life after leaving her Hollywood career to play wife to Prince Rainier III of Monaco. When she is offered a chance to go back to acting, she considers accepting the role, but her roles as mother, wife, and royalty demand that she give her former life behind.
Kidman plays the titular character.
Prince Albert II, Kelly’s son and who is the reigning monarch of the Principality of Monaco, has already criticised the film in 2013, describing it as “needlessly glamorised and historically inaccurate.”
But just in case it isn’t clear, the Prince and his sisters, Princess Caroline and Princess Stephanie, don’t want anything to do with the film. The palace has released another more recent statement, saying that it is dissociating itself from Kidman’s film.
“On the occasion of the upcoming screening of the film ‘Grace of Monaco’ at the opening of the Cannes Festival on May 14, 2014 and its release in theatres, the Prince’s Palace would like to reiterate that this feature cannot under any circumstances be classified as a biopic,” the press release from the palace reads.
“The trailer appears to be a farce and confirms the totally fictional nature of this film. It reinforces the certainty, left after reading the script, that this production, a page of the Principality’s history, is based on erroneous and dubious historical references.
“The director and producers refused to take into consideration the many observations made by the Palace because these called into question the entire script and the characters of the film.
“The Princely family does not in any way wish to be associated with this film which reflects no reality and regrets that its history has been misappropriated for purely commercial purposes.”
“Grace of Monaco” also stars Tim Roth and Frank Langella among many others. It is slated for release on May 14 at the Cannes Film Festival.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- NFL MNF: Washington Redskins 20, Dallas Cowboys 17 (OT) [PHOTOS]
- Emma Watson Gets 'Squished' In 'Colonia Dignidad' [PHOTOS]
- 2014 MLB World Series Game 6: Kansas City Royals 10, San Francisco Giants 0 [PHOTOS]
- San Francisco Giants Beat Kansas City Royals, 3-2 In Game 7, Wins 2014 MLB World Series [PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- 'The Bold And The Beautiful' Spoilers For Oct. 29, 2014: Caroline Is Remorseful About What Happened To Her And Ridge While Katie Is Fuming [WATCH VIDEO]
- 'Star Wars: Episode 7' Leaked Image Of New Villain Clutching Red Lightsaber [Spoilers]
- 'The Walking Dead' Star Norman Reedus Bashes The Report That He Begged The Producers Not To Turn Daryl Dixon Gay
- 'The Bold And The Beautiful' Spoilers For Oct. 30, 2014: Eric Names Rick The New CEO Of Forrester Creations After Finding Out About Ridge And Caroline [WATCH VIDEO]
- 'Game Of Thrones' Actor Kit Harington Denies Romance With Co-stars Rose Leslie And Emilia Clarke
- Marvel Announces Release Dates Of 11 Upcoming Movies From 2015 To 2019
- Nokia Lumia 730 v. Sharp Aquos Crystal – Specifications, Features And Price Showdown
- Xiaomi Becomes World’s Third Largest Smartphone Manufacturer By Dethroning Huawei
- Entry Of Peshmerga Fighters From Iraq Boosts The Kobani Battle Against ISIS: Turkey Provides Transit
- Nexus 6, 9 Buyers on November Release Will Enjoy These 3 Killer Lollipop 5.0 Features First
- Apple iPhone 6 Plus vs Motorola Droid Turbo: Comparsion On Processor, Software And Battery
- Australia Special Forces Await 'Delayed' Iraqi Visas Before Joining ISIS Fight