Lok Sabha Elections 2014: Campaigning Ends in Seemandhra for 7 May Polls, Krishna Seeks Votes for Son-In-Law
By Rama Mohan | May 5, 2014 8:38 PM EST
Campaigning for the 7 May election to both Lok Sabha and the State Assembly in Seemandhra of Andhra Pradesh, ends on Monday, 5 May.
Telangana & Seemandhra
Bharatiya Janata Party (BJP) and Telugu Desam Party (TDP), YSRCP, Congress, Jai Samiakhyandra Party in alliance with CPM and other parties were seen hastening their last hour canvassing in the region. Star campaigners and veteran leaders, who had been campaigning state-wide for their parties, were seen concentrating on their own constituencies on Monday.
TDP star campaigner Balakrishna, who was seeking votes for the party candidates all over Seemandhra, is contesting from Hindupur Assembly constituency. YS Vijayamma, YSRCP leader and wife of late CM YS Rajasekhara Reddy, who campaigned for the party all over the state, is contesting from Visakhapatnam and Late NT Rama Rao's daughter and BJP leader D Purandeswari is contesting from Rajampet Lok Sabha constituency.
BJP-TDP has been seeking votes on the plank of "development," and the winning hopes of BJP's prime ministerial candidate Narendra Modi.
With a planned strategy, Modi, TDP's chief Chandrababu Naidu, Jana Sena founder and actor Pawan Kalyan have campaigned well in Seemandhra. The trio addressed voters from a single dais in five centres of the region-Madanapalle, Nellore, Guntur, Bhimavaram and Visakhapatnam on a single day on 1 May.
Modi, with his scintillating speeches asked voters in Seemandhra to make Chandrababu Naidu the next CM to realize their dream of turning the state into a "Swarnandhra" (a prosperous state).
Maverick star Pawan Kalyan, while extending support to the BJP-TDP, called upon people to drive out both Congress and YSRCP in this election. During campaigns, Kalyan also endorsed the experience of Naidu, who has served as CM for nine years during TDP's regime.
Comparatively, Congress lagged behind in campaigning in Seemandhra, say reports. Star campaigner of Congress Chiranjeevi and the Seemandhra Pradesh Congress Committee president Raghuveera Reddy failed to bring Priyanka Gandhi for campaigning in Seemandhra. Priyanka limited her canvassing only to Rae Barely and Amethi, where mother Sonia Gandhi and brother Rahul Gandhi are contesting the Lok Sabha elections.
Sonia Gandhi also failed to dispel anger among people in Seemandhra over bifurcation of AP. It can be recalled that AP was divided amid furious protests in Seemandhra and it was expected that Congress leaders will strive to pacify the people, at least, during the election time.
Sonia and Rahul addressed limited number of rallies in the state and even their speeches were not crafted well to attract voters.
YS Jagan Mohan Reddy-led YSRCP, former chief minister Kiran Kumar Reddy's Jai Samaikhyandhra Party in alliance with CPM also canvassed vastly in the state, but, appear to have failed to attract voters.
Lok Satta Party national president Jayaprakash Narayan, during his canvassing for his party, called upon the voters to vote out corrupt leaders.
Veteran actor Krishna and his son Mahesh Babu, another popular actor in AP, have supported Galla Jayadev, who is contesting from Guntur Lok Sabha constituency on a TDP ticket. Jayadev is the son-in-law of Krishna. In a press release, Krishna described Jayadev as an able businessman and asked voters to vote for him and give a chance to serve them in the constituency. Mahesh Babu has been campaigning for Jayadev through his Twitter account.
To report problems or to leave feedback about this article, e-mail:
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Taylor Swift Named Forbes' Second Highest Paid Country Musician [PHOTOS]
- Forever Lost: Indescribable Anguish for Malaysia Airlines MH17 Families, Remains of Some Victims May Never Be Found (PHOTOS)
- Global Aviation Accidents: UN to Form Safety Task Force, Gov'ts Should Share Intelligence Info to Avert Future Incidents on Flying Over Warzones (PHOTOS)
- PageSix: Beyonce & Jay Z Union is Not About Love, All About Business & the Brand
Join the Conversation
- Iran Leader Asks Muslims to Supply Arms to Palestine, Calls Israel ‘Rapacious Wolf’
- El Niño Update: 2014 Threat Easing, ‘Unlikely to be a Strong Event’ – Australia BoM
- “Women should not laugh in public” - Turkish Deputy PM says
- Opinion Poll in New Zealand Shows National Party Far Ahead in Popular Support
- Australia Asked National Media to Suppress Multi-National Corruption Case: WikiLeaks
- Samsung Galaxy S5 Alpha Leaks Online: Release Date, Five Features to Wait for New Smart Phone
- Photos of Motorola Moto X+1 Prototype and Specs Leak Online, Release Date, Four Fresh Features Revealed
- Sony Xperia Z3: Release Date, Five Features to Expect from New Android Smart Phone
- Freshly Leaked Apple iPad Air 2 Cases Confirm Touch ID Sensor; Release Date, Limited Specs and Price Listed
- Top Surprising Features Of iOS 8
- Top 4 Reasons Why iPhone 6 Will Hit Big Soon After its Sept 2014 Release Date
- Twin Malaysia Airlines MH370, MH17 Aviation Disasters Create Phobia Among Travellers