“My Comeback Will Give Courage to Others,” Says Ace Shuttler Jwala Gutta
By Shruthi SU | May 5, 2014 6:55 PM EST
India's ace shuttler Jwala Gutta has spoken out on her comeback to professional level, after a lifetime ban threat from the governing body in India. The Hyderabadi feels her comeback will inspire other shuttlers too.
After a row with the Badminton Association of India last year, Jwala went through many legal proceedings to overrule the lifetime ban planned by the disciplinary committee of the governing body, after the shuttler delayed the match while playing for Krrish Delhi Smashers against Banga Beats in the Indian Badminton League more than six months ago.
"I think my comeback will give courage to other shuttlers who can raise their voice against wrong," Jwala said at a promotional event in Raipur. She also said her close circles helped her get through the whole situation. "My partners, friends and relatives were with me in my battle for justice."
After her comeback, Jwala won bronze in the Asian Badminton Championships recently, partnering Ashwini Ponnappa. She has had an eventful decade in the sport now, and has brought many laurels to the nation, including a 2010 Commonwealth Games gold, a 2011 World Championship bronze and qualifying for the 2012 London Olympics. The 30-year-old Hyderabadi is now aiming for a medal in the 2016 Rio Olympics, so as to finish her career on a high.
The 14-time national champion, visiting the Chhattisgarh Club to meet young badminton players, said India lacks sports culture, and it should be cultivated at a younger age in the country.
"India is a land of many talents, but a sport is not really one of them," Jwala told reporters. "I feel the sports culture and education should go hand in hand. Now that things are looking up a bit, there's more need to develop a sports culture in India than ever before."
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- 2014 MLB World Series Game 1: San Francisco Giants 7, Kansas City Royals 1 [PHOTOS]
- 2014 MLB World Series - Game 2: Kansas City Royals 7, San Francisco Giants 2 [PHOTOS]
- 2014 MLB World Series Game 3: Kansas City Royals 3, San Francisco Giants 2 [PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- Rafael Nadal On Roger Federer: ‘He’s A Good Person, A Fantastic Player And A Great Man On Court’
- Jeremy Lin’s Big Break: Steve Nash Out For The Season For The Los Angeles Lakers
- Manny Pacquiao Is Better Than Floyd Mayweather Jr. In Basketball Claims Freddie Roach
- Novak Djokovic Receives Peugeot 107 Pedal Car For His Newborn
- Xiaomi Redmi 1S vs. Sharp Aquos Crystal – Specifications, Features And Price Showdown
- Verizon Motorola Droid Turbo Leaked Live Images Surfaces, Scheduled To Get Unveiled On Oct 28
- Update HTC One M7 with LG G2 with Android 4.4.2 as Sprint OTA: Fixes and Installation
- U.S. Targets Buyers of ISIS Oil, Threatens Sanctions
- ISIS Syria Airstrike Bombing Has Killed 550 People, Civilians Included
- Russia Blocking OSCE Monitoring Of Its Border With Ukraine
- Russia Slams US 'Double Standards' In The Fight Against ISIS