“My Comeback Will Give Courage to Others,” Says Ace Shuttler Jwala Gutta
By Shruthi SU | May 5, 2014 6:55 PM EST
India's ace shuttler Jwala Gutta has spoken out on her comeback to professional level, after a lifetime ban threat from the governing body in India. The Hyderabadi feels her comeback will inspire other shuttlers too.
After a row with the Badminton Association of India last year, Jwala went through many legal proceedings to overrule the lifetime ban planned by the disciplinary committee of the governing body, after the shuttler delayed the match while playing for Krrish Delhi Smashers against Banga Beats in the Indian Badminton League more than six months ago.
"I think my comeback will give courage to other shuttlers who can raise their voice against wrong," Jwala said at a promotional event in Raipur. She also said her close circles helped her get through the whole situation. "My partners, friends and relatives were with me in my battle for justice."
After her comeback, Jwala won bronze in the Asian Badminton Championships recently, partnering Ashwini Ponnappa. She has had an eventful decade in the sport now, and has brought many laurels to the nation, including a 2010 Commonwealth Games gold, a 2011 World Championship bronze and qualifying for the 2012 London Olympics. The 30-year-old Hyderabadi is now aiming for a medal in the 2016 Rio Olympics, so as to finish her career on a high.
The 14-time national champion, visiting the Chhattisgarh Club to meet young badminton players, said India lacks sports culture, and it should be cultivated at a younger age in the country.
"India is a land of many talents, but a sport is not really one of them," Jwala told reporters. "I feel the sports culture and education should go hand in hand. Now that things are looking up a bit, there's more need to develop a sports culture in India than ever before."
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- George Clooney And Amal Alamuddin's Wedding In Venice: Photos Of Groom And His Family, Friends [Slideshow]
- NFL Recap - Week 4: Green Bay Packers 38, Chicago Bears 17 [PHOTOS]
- NFL Recap: New York Giants 45, Washington Redskins 14 [PHOTOS]
- Photos Of George Clooney And Amal Alamuddin, They Get Married Again On Monday [Slideshow]
Join the Conversation
- Floyd Mayweather Jr. Will Probably Pick Between Amir Khan Or Manny Pacquiao For Next Fight According to Uncle Jeff
- Tony Stewart Reveals Retirement Not In Options, Reflects On His Life After the Fatal Crash
- Sugar Ray Leonard Adds Fuel To Pacquiao-Mayweather Clamour
- Muslim NFL Player Husain Abdullah Penalised For Praying After Touchdown
- Rafael Nadal Gives Li Na Flowers, A Teary Farewell At Beijing China Open
- 3 Reasons to Get the Samsung Galaxy Note 4 Instead of the iPhone 6
- iPhone 6 vs Moto G 2014: Motorola’s Budget Smartphone Takes On Apple’s Premium Smartphone
- Google HTC Nexus 9 Tablet October 24 Launch Date Benefits Many
- Galaxy Note 4 vs Nexus 6: Which Smartphone Dominates
- MH 370 Search In Ocean To Intensify With Hi Tech Ships Joining The Plane Hunt From October
- Nexus 7 Tips and Tricks
- New Windows OS Is Not Windows 9, Microsoft To Launch Windows 10 As New OS Build