Meet Scotland's Local Celebrity Cat with $8,000 Bronze Statue [Watch Video of Statue Unveiling Ceremony on YouTube]
By Ma Evelyn Castino Quilas | May 5, 2014 6:24 PM EST
Most stray cats would be lucky if they could be able to scavenge leftover foods from the streets or garbage cans. But not the nomadic cat in a small town in Scotland who has turned into a local celebrity. The fuzzy feline has a $8,000 bronze statue erected for her at the heart of Church Square.
Meet Hamish McHamish, the adorable 14-year-old ginger stray previously owned by Marianne Baird who spent the last seven years adventuring around St. Andrews, Scotland. Apart from being the proponent of weird cat names, Hamish has also gained followers from his Facebok and Twitter account with the following description: "Author and bon vivant." The proud owner of the iconic ginger hair, Harnish is a frequent visitor at local shops and streets bringing joy to the cat lovers around the town.
Some reports mentioned that Hamish was a 100 percent stray cat while there are also reports that mentioned him as simply spending the day roaming around the streets of the small town with the permission of his owner. Either way, the townsfolk of Scotland saw the need to erect the statue to immortalize the cat and readily cashed in money from their wallets.
In an article from Huffington Post, the fundraiser of the iconic bronze statue Flora Selwyn stated: "Our statue is a way of saying thank you to Hamish for being so 'purrfectly' adorable and to celebrate him and the joy he brings us."
The idea of setting up a statue for the stray cat was met with negative comments from other internet users mentioning the need to provide the cat with food and shelter instead of kids. But Harnish' previous owner reassured that the cat gets his annual trip to the vets.
During the unveiling ceremony of the statue, Harnish was also present at the event posing beside his metallic glory. He also had a parade around riding in a convertible greeting his followers while his fuzzy hair blows in the wind.
In his Twitter account, the proud feline also expressed his thanks for the statue. He stated: "@StAPresident I wanted to thank you for smoothing the way for my statue at the Community Council. Still want my fish supper though."
@StAPresident I wanted to thank you for smoothing the way for my statue at the Community Council. Still want my fish supper though.
— Hamish McHamish (@hamishstandrews) Abril 6, 2014
Watch the video of status unveiling ceremony from YouTube.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
Join the Conversation
- Kate Middleton Pregnancy Update: Duchess Spotted All Smiles, Sickness Seems Over
- 2014 Meteor Shower: Slooh To Have Live Broadcast Of Orionids Meteor Shower October 21 Peak, NASA Assures Ideal Observing Conditions
- Kate Middleton To Give Birth To A 'Cheerful' Baby, Duchess Not Carrying Twins---Report
- 63-Year-Old Admits He Has Made Love To More Than 700 Cars But Now Remains Faithful To Just One Beetle
- Top Fake News Websites - Be Aware Or Beware
- iOS 8 Jailbreak Release Date Likely this October 2014 with Pangu not Evad3rs Firming Up as Creator
- Chilling: New ISIS Video Addresses Australia; Aussie Teen Delivers Message
- Top 4 Free-To-Download Apps for Fuller iPhone 6, 6 Plus Experience
- Battery Saving Android 5.0 Lollipop Feature Extends The Battery Life Of Your Android Device By 90 Minutes And Displays Orange Bar While Power Saving Mode Is On
- Apple Inc. (AAPL) Stock Set to Soar Beyond $100 Despite Decline After New iPad Launch
- Russia Beefs Up Gold Reserves To Offset Heat of Sanctions And Undercut Dollar
- Xiaomi Mi4 And MiPad Prices Likely Slashed, Thanks To Rivals Oppo, OnePlus And Meizu