Meet Scotland's Local Celebrity Cat with $8,000 Bronze Statue [Watch Video of Statue Unveiling Ceremony on YouTube]
By Ma Evelyn Castino Quilas | May 5, 2014 6:24 PM EST
Most stray cats would be lucky if they could be able to scavenge leftover foods from the streets or garbage cans. But not the nomadic cat in a small town in Scotland who has turned into a local celebrity. The fuzzy feline has a $8,000 bronze statue erected for her at the heart of Church Square.
Meet Hamish McHamish, the adorable 14-year-old ginger stray previously owned by Marianne Baird who spent the last seven years adventuring around St. Andrews, Scotland. Apart from being the proponent of weird cat names, Hamish has also gained followers from his Facebok and Twitter account with the following description: "Author and bon vivant." The proud owner of the iconic ginger hair, Harnish is a frequent visitor at local shops and streets bringing joy to the cat lovers around the town.
Some reports mentioned that Hamish was a 100 percent stray cat while there are also reports that mentioned him as simply spending the day roaming around the streets of the small town with the permission of his owner. Either way, the townsfolk of Scotland saw the need to erect the statue to immortalize the cat and readily cashed in money from their wallets.
In an article from Huffington Post, the fundraiser of the iconic bronze statue Flora Selwyn stated: "Our statue is a way of saying thank you to Hamish for being so 'purrfectly' adorable and to celebrate him and the joy he brings us."
The idea of setting up a statue for the stray cat was met with negative comments from other internet users mentioning the need to provide the cat with food and shelter instead of kids. But Harnish' previous owner reassured that the cat gets his annual trip to the vets.
During the unveiling ceremony of the statue, Harnish was also present at the event posing beside his metallic glory. He also had a parade around riding in a convertible greeting his followers while his fuzzy hair blows in the wind.
In his Twitter account, the proud feline also expressed his thanks for the statue. He stated: "@StAPresident I wanted to thank you for smoothing the way for my statue at the Community Council. Still want my fish supper though."
@StAPresident I wanted to thank you for smoothing the way for my statue at the Community Council. Still want my fish supper though.
— Hamish McHamish (@hamishstandrews) Abril 6, 2014
Watch the video of status unveiling ceremony from YouTube.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Kristen Stewart Moving On With Nicholas Hoult, Jennifer Lawrence Dating Chris Martin – Reports [PHOTOS]
- Kate Middleton Suffocated in Kensington Palace, Queen Elizabeth Reported War With The Duchess [PHOTOS]
- 2014 MTV Video Music Awards: Everything To Know [PHOTOS]
- Chris Martin Dating Reports: Jennifer Lawrence Vs Gwyneth Paltrow [PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- Report Claims China & Taiwan Sell Human Meat
- Crocodile Attacks, Takes Man in Adelaide River; Wife Witnesses Tragedy
- Sex with the Dead: Ohio Man Admits Doing it with 100 Corpses
- Princess Diana's Gravesite Algae-Infested, Earl Spencer Reportedly To Blame
- Ebola Virus: NZ Health Officials Given 'Powers' to Stop Ships, Planes from Entering Border
- Robin Williams Goodbye Video Hoax: Facebook Users Warned of Celebrity Suicide Exploitation
- 4 Killer Android Features Apple Fans Would Love to Get Come the iPhone 6 Release Date
- ISIS Posts Graphic Beheading Video of US Journalist James Foley
- Nexus 6 Release Date Dilemma with Motorola Shamu Details Pointing to Better Smartphone and Killer Features
- After James Foley, ISIL Threatens to Behead Another American Journalist Steven Sotloff
- Moto X Android 4.4.4 KitKat Update Guide: AT&T/Sprint Release and When to Hit Your Region
- Motorola Moto X+1 On Release Date To Come With Snapdragon 800 Processor, 2 GB RAM, 4K Recording And 5.2-Inch Display