Andy Murray Will Consider John McEnroe as New Coach
By Shruthi SU | May 5, 2014 5:50 PM EST
Andy Murray has reciprocated John McEnroe's interest in coaching him. The reigning Wimbledon champion has been without a coach since March, after he split with Ivan Lendl.
"Every player would consider someone with his credentials," Murray told BCC, in response to McEnroe's interest. "I like listening to him commentate and he has a lot to offer as well. It's interesting but if anything comes from it, who knows?"
McEnroe had said last week that he is interested in coaching Murray but many others will also be tempted to apply for the job.
"When you get opportunities to coach great players, it is definitely something that would be tempting to think about," McEnroe stressed. "Some of these situations are tempting for anyone.
"If Andy Murray picked up the phone and asked me to coach him, of course I would think about it."
McEnroe, 55, is a tennis legend from the US, having won seven Grand Slams. The only drawback, however, is that he has never been a professional coach. But according to Murray, being a great player should give enough credential for the job.
"When you are very competitive as a player, you are likely to be the same as a coach and that's also a benefit," the Scot said. "He was a great player and he's always kept an interest in the game, which is important. He has a great knowledge of the sport."
Murray would be happy if a new coach is appointed by 25 May when the Roland Garros begins but does not mind waiting till the Wimbledon completes on 6 July.
"It depends how I do in the next couple of weeks," the 26-year-old added. "If I do well, I'm not going to have that much time. If I don't do so well, I'll have a little bit more time to think about it and chat to people.
"I need to have the right person in place. I don't want to have the wrong person in place by the French Open. I'd rather wait a few weeks and get the right person three weeks after Wimbledon."
The two-time major winner and Olympic champion will compete in Madrid Open and Rome Masters, before going to Paris.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Still The World Champions: Team USA Overpowers Serbia, 129-92 To Win 2014 FIBA World Cup [PHOTOS]
- Pope Francis: World War III Has Started On Piecemeal
- After Win Over Maidana, Mayweather Says He Is Prepared To Negotiate A Fight With Pacquiao
- From Fat To Fit: Celebrities Who Were Overweight Before They Became The Beauties That They Are
Join the Conversation
- 2014 FIBA World Cup Final: USA Vs. Serbia Live Streaming Info, Key Players And Preview
- The Rock Reveals He And John Cena Nearly Fought Backstage [VIDEO]
- Maria Sharapova And Grigor Dimitrov Break Up News
- NFL Week 2: Kansas City Chiefs Vs. Denver Broncos Live Streaming Information And Preview
- Manny Pacquiao Begins Training Sans Freddie Roach
- iPhone 6 vs iPhone 6 Plus vs Galaxy S5 and HTC One M8: Performance, CPU and Health
- Google Release Roundup: Nexus 5 2014, Nexus 6, Nexus 8 and Android L Killer Features
- Samsung Attacks iPhone 6 Plus Through New Galaxy Note 4 Commercial: Apple Claims Imitating Galaxy Note Phablets
- iPhone 6 And IPhone 6 Plus Sold Out, New Stocks To Arrive In October
- Moto G (Gen 2) vs. Xiaomi Redmi 1S—Specifications, Features And Price Showdown
- Nexus 6, 8 Release Dates Imminent as Moto X Pre-Order Begins & Nexus 7 Deals Ramp Up
- iPhone 6 And iPhone 6 Plus Shipping Has Begun, Expected To Reach Customers’ Doorstep On Sept 19 Launch Date