Andy Murray Will Consider John McEnroe as New Coach
By Shruthi SU | May 5, 2014 5:50 PM EST
Andy Murray has reciprocated John McEnroe's interest in coaching him. The reigning Wimbledon champion has been without a coach since March, after he split with Ivan Lendl.
"Every player would consider someone with his credentials," Murray told BCC, in response to McEnroe's interest. "I like listening to him commentate and he has a lot to offer as well. It's interesting but if anything comes from it, who knows?"
McEnroe had said last week that he is interested in coaching Murray but many others will also be tempted to apply for the job.
"When you get opportunities to coach great players, it is definitely something that would be tempting to think about," McEnroe stressed. "Some of these situations are tempting for anyone.
"If Andy Murray picked up the phone and asked me to coach him, of course I would think about it."
McEnroe, 55, is a tennis legend from the US, having won seven Grand Slams. The only drawback, however, is that he has never been a professional coach. But according to Murray, being a great player should give enough credential for the job.
"When you are very competitive as a player, you are likely to be the same as a coach and that's also a benefit," the Scot said. "He was a great player and he's always kept an interest in the game, which is important. He has a great knowledge of the sport."
Murray would be happy if a new coach is appointed by 25 May when the Roland Garros begins but does not mind waiting till the Wimbledon completes on 6 July.
"It depends how I do in the next couple of weeks," the 26-year-old added. "If I do well, I'm not going to have that much time. If I don't do so well, I'll have a little bit more time to think about it and chat to people.
"I need to have the right person in place. I don't want to have the wrong person in place by the French Open. I'd rather wait a few weeks and get the right person three weeks after Wimbledon."
The two-time major winner and Olympic champion will compete in Madrid Open and Rome Masters, before going to Paris.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Gennady Golovkin Next Fight Options: Canelo Alvarez, Miguel Cotto Or Julio Cesar Chavez Jr.
- NFL MNF: Pittsburgh Steelers 30, Houston Texans 23 [PHOTOS]
- 2014 MLB World Series Game 1: San Francisco Giants 7, Kansas City Royals 1 [PHOTOS]
- 2014 MLB World Series - Game 2: Kansas City Royals 7, San Francisco Giants 2 [PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- Manny Pacquiao Blasted For Arrogance, Playing Basketball Month Before Fight Against Chris Algieri
- Croatian Boxer Banned For Life From Sport After Vicious Attack On Polish Referee [VIDEO]
- NBA News: Teammate Stresses Jeremy Lin's Importance To The Lakers
- Ronda Rousey Rejects Idea of Fight Between A Man And A Woman In The UFC
- Chelsea FC: No 'Crying' For The Blues Amid Injury Woes Ahead Of Man Utd Clash, Says Mourinho
- No Mercy: ISIS, Father Stones to Death Daughter for Alleged Adultery
- Boy Stoned To Death For Alleged Rape, Victim Receives Dowry From Militants
- ASUS Releases A Teaser Indicating The Arrival of New Zenfone and ZenWatch On October 28
- Russia is Creating Underwater Combat Robots to Protect its Arctic Territories
- iOS 8 Jailbreak Release Date is Doomed as Team Evad3rs Opts Out, Pangu Hits Snag – Report
- Three Dual SIM Samsung Galaxy Note 4 Duos Variants Comes To China
- Google Nexus 6 vs. iPhone 5S: 4 Important Things to Consider Before Switching to Android Lollipop