Andy Murray Will Consider John McEnroe as New Coach
By Shruthi SU | May 5, 2014 5:50 PM EST
Andy Murray has reciprocated John McEnroe's interest in coaching him. The reigning Wimbledon champion has been without a coach since March, after he split with Ivan Lendl.
"Every player would consider someone with his credentials," Murray told BCC, in response to McEnroe's interest. "I like listening to him commentate and he has a lot to offer as well. It's interesting but if anything comes from it, who knows?"
McEnroe had said last week that he is interested in coaching Murray but many others will also be tempted to apply for the job.
"When you get opportunities to coach great players, it is definitely something that would be tempting to think about," McEnroe stressed. "Some of these situations are tempting for anyone.
"If Andy Murray picked up the phone and asked me to coach him, of course I would think about it."
McEnroe, 55, is a tennis legend from the US, having won seven Grand Slams. The only drawback, however, is that he has never been a professional coach. But according to Murray, being a great player should give enough credential for the job.
"When you are very competitive as a player, you are likely to be the same as a coach and that's also a benefit," the Scot said. "He was a great player and he's always kept an interest in the game, which is important. He has a great knowledge of the sport."
Murray would be happy if a new coach is appointed by 25 May when the Roland Garros begins but does not mind waiting till the Wimbledon completes on 6 July.
"It depends how I do in the next couple of weeks," the 26-year-old added. "If I do well, I'm not going to have that much time. If I don't do so well, I'll have a little bit more time to think about it and chat to people.
"I need to have the right person in place. I don't want to have the wrong person in place by the French Open. I'd rather wait a few weeks and get the right person three weeks after Wimbledon."
The two-time major winner and Olympic champion will compete in Madrid Open and Rome Masters, before going to Paris.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Join the Conversation
- Boxing Analyst John Scully Says Floyd Mayweather Is Slipping But Manny Pacquiao Won’t Win In Super Fight In 2015
- Freddie Roach Provoking ‘Washed-Up’ Floyd Mayweather Jr., Says Manny Pacquiao Will KO Undefeated American
- Sharapova, Halep, Ivanovic, Wozniacki, Kvitova, Radwanska, Kerber Make Early Commitment To Stuttgart Open
- ‘Floyd Rhymes With Avoid,’ Says Manny Pacquiao
- 2014 Dancing With The Stars Australia: Former AFL Star David Rodan Declared Winner
- Black Friday And Cyber Monday Sale 2014: AT&T's Cricket Wireless Offers Discounts On Lumia 1320, Galaxy S5, S4 And HTC Desire 510
- Target’s ‘Surprise Doorbusters’ Black Friday 2014 Deals On TV Sets, Entertainment Centres, DVD Players And More
- T-Mobile’s Black Friday 2014 Deals On Apple iPhone 6, Samsung Galaxy Note 4/Edge, Nexus 6, HTC One M8, LG G3, iPad Air 2 And Mini 3
- IKEA Black Friday 2014 Ad Includes Discounts On Home Furnishings, Appliances, Kitchen Designs, Beds, Sofas, Mattresses And Toys
- ISIS Kidnaps Iraqi Defence Minister’s Family, Executes Female Parliament Candidates
- ISIS Drug Transit From Afghanistan To Europe Confirmed By Russia: Money Goes Into Terror Funding And In New Recruitments
- '$2,000 For Sex'—Pleads Unlucky-in-Love Guy On OKCupid