Andy Murray Will Consider John McEnroe as New Coach
By Shruthi SU | May 5, 2014 5:50 PM EST
Andy Murray has reciprocated John McEnroe's interest in coaching him. The reigning Wimbledon champion has been without a coach since March, after he split with Ivan Lendl.
"Every player would consider someone with his credentials," Murray told BCC, in response to McEnroe's interest. "I like listening to him commentate and he has a lot to offer as well. It's interesting but if anything comes from it, who knows?"
McEnroe had said last week that he is interested in coaching Murray but many others will also be tempted to apply for the job.
"When you get opportunities to coach great players, it is definitely something that would be tempting to think about," McEnroe stressed. "Some of these situations are tempting for anyone.
"If Andy Murray picked up the phone and asked me to coach him, of course I would think about it."
McEnroe, 55, is a tennis legend from the US, having won seven Grand Slams. The only drawback, however, is that he has never been a professional coach. But according to Murray, being a great player should give enough credential for the job.
"When you are very competitive as a player, you are likely to be the same as a coach and that's also a benefit," the Scot said. "He was a great player and he's always kept an interest in the game, which is important. He has a great knowledge of the sport."
Murray would be happy if a new coach is appointed by 25 May when the Roland Garros begins but does not mind waiting till the Wimbledon completes on 6 July.
"It depends how I do in the next couple of weeks," the 26-year-old added. "If I do well, I'm not going to have that much time. If I don't do so well, I'll have a little bit more time to think about it and chat to people.
"I need to have the right person in place. I don't want to have the wrong person in place by the French Open. I'd rather wait a few weeks and get the right person three weeks after Wimbledon."
The two-time major winner and Olympic champion will compete in Madrid Open and Rome Masters, before going to Paris.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- 2014 US Open Update (Day 4 - Men's Singles): Murray, Djokovic, Raonic and Isner Advance to 3rd Round [PHOTOS]
- Prince Harry & Camilla Thurlow Getting Serious, St. Tropez Holiday Before The Prince’s 30th Birthday [PHOTOS]
- Top 5 Richest Tennis Athletes
- Kate Middleton’s Mom Accused Of Being A Social Climber, Prince George Not Seen By Relatives
Join the Conversation
- Jeremy Lin Happy Houston Rockets Sent Him To LA Lakers
- Jeremy Lin's Trade To Los Angeles Lakers Is An Opportunity To Reinvent His Brand
- 2014 FIBA Basketball World Cup Group B Preview, Schedule and Key Players: Argentina, Greece, Croatia Favourites To Top Opening Round
- Floyd Mayweather Proves He Can Read, Releases An Audio Of Him Reading
- Roger Federer and Michael Jordan Collaborate To Create Sneaker History For the US Open 2014
- Sept 19 iPhone 6 Release Date Confirmed as Apple Sets Sept 9 iWatch, 2 iPhones Intro - Report
- Why Moto X is Not the Best Smartphone to Purchase Now?
- Nexus 6 Release Date Will Intro Android 5.0 aka Lemon Meringue Pie with Killer Specs & Features
- Hundreds of Men Rape Teen for Three Years
- Samsung Galaxy S5 Mini vs. LG G3 S (aka LG G3 Beat, LG G3 Mini) – Specs, Features And Price Showdown
- iPhone 6 Release Date Update: 4.7-Inch Model Scores 65.8% In Screen-To-Size Ratio; A Surprise Entry Scales Top Spot [List Attached]
- Product Recall Alert: Hewlett-Packard Pulls Out 6M Power Cords from US, Canada Over Fire Hazard Concerns, Australia Also Affected