Michael Schumacher Coma: Will the Formula One Legend Make a Full Recovery?
By Keerthi Mohan | May 5, 2014 5:04 PM EST
Michael Schumacher has been in coma for more than four months since his accident in the French Alps in December, and till now he has shown no signs of waking up.
But his family is optimistic that the Formula One champion will make a recovery as there are short moments when he is awake and conscious.
Michael Schumacher (Pic: Fotograf: Susanne Kauz; Bearbeiter: Frank C. Müller)
“We remain confident that Michael Schumacher will make it through and wake up,” Schumacher’s manager Sabine Kehm told Bild.de, according to The Epoch Times.
At the same time, she dismissed news reports that emerged from Spanish media stating that Schumacher woke up from his coma and showed signs that he recognized his wife. She noted that there is a difference in being awake and being conscious and the media should realize the distinction before reporting about Schumacher’s condition.
“There is a distinction between being awake and being conscious, the latter meaning there is an ability to interact with his surroundings. I don’t want to disclose details out of respect for the family, but we have no doubt at all in the abilities of the doctors treating Michael, they are experts in their field.
“What upsets the family most is media quoting doctors who are not treating Michael and untruths are constructed from these,” she told the publication. “It has been a problem when outsiders comment and it means we have to set the record straight, even when we don’t want to.”
Recently, Schumacher became a death hoax victim when several Twitter users started messaging condolences to the racing legend’s family.
Twitter user @HenryWyatt posted a message, "Rip Michael Schumacher. A legend of the sport" and soon the news spread on social networking sites.
A Facebook page titled “RIP Michael Schumacher 1969 – 2014” has also been active since December 30, 2013. The social networking site has garnered more than 800 likes till date.
To report problems or to leave feedback about this article, e-mail:
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Reasons Why Michael Jordan Is Better Than LeBron James [PHOTOS And VIDEO]
- Dwyane Wade, Joe Johnson, Amare Stoudemire Among Worst Contracts In The NBA (Part 2 - Eastern Conference)
- Brawl-Marred Game in NFL Week 3: Philadelphia Eagles 37, Washington Redskins 34 [PHOTOS]
- NFL Monday Night Football Recap: Chicago Bears 27, New York Jets 19
Join the Conversation
- MMA News: Transgender Fighter Fallon Fox Challenges Ronda Rousey, Fires Back on ‘Ignorant’ Comments
- Floyd Mayweather Jr. Points Out Amir Khan's Poor Boxing Record
- Floyd Mayweather Admits Marcos Maidana’s Power Shot Hurt Him [VIDEO]
- WWE Night of Champions Live Streaming Info, Preview and Predictions
- Khloe Kardashian Reportedly Having A Hard Time Deciding Whether Or Not To Patch Things Up With Lamar Odom
- Nexus 6, 8 Release Date is Halloween 2014 as Android L Intro Set for October 16
- New Samsung Galaxy Note 4 and Galaxy S5 Android 5.0 L Killer Features, Encryption and More
- Moto G 2014 v Asus Zenfone 5 – Specification Comparison Shows Zenfone 5 Is A Good Alternative for Moto G
- Android 5.0 L Nexus 4, Nexus 5, Nexus 7 Release in October, Google Employees Offer Hint
- U.S and Canada Fighter Jets Chase Out Russian Jets Near Alaska: Air Space Violation Not Confirmed
- Microsoft Doubles OneDrive Space To 30GB Due To iOS 8 Update Issues
- Nexus 8, Nexus 9 Release Date, Device Name And Price Conundrum: What To Expect?