Michael Schumacher Coma: Will the Formula One Legend Make a Full Recovery?
By Keerthi Mohan | May 5, 2014 5:04 PM EST
Michael Schumacher has been in coma for more than four months since his accident in the French Alps in December, and till now he has shown no signs of waking up.
But his family is optimistic that the Formula One champion will make a recovery as there are short moments when he is awake and conscious.
Michael Schumacher (Pic: Fotograf: Susanne Kauz; Bearbeiter: Frank C. Müller)
“We remain confident that Michael Schumacher will make it through and wake up,” Schumacher’s manager Sabine Kehm told Bild.de, according to The Epoch Times.
At the same time, she dismissed news reports that emerged from Spanish media stating that Schumacher woke up from his coma and showed signs that he recognized his wife. She noted that there is a difference in being awake and being conscious and the media should realize the distinction before reporting about Schumacher’s condition.
“There is a distinction between being awake and being conscious, the latter meaning there is an ability to interact with his surroundings. I don’t want to disclose details out of respect for the family, but we have no doubt at all in the abilities of the doctors treating Michael, they are experts in their field.
“What upsets the family most is media quoting doctors who are not treating Michael and untruths are constructed from these,” she told the publication. “It has been a problem when outsiders comment and it means we have to set the record straight, even when we don’t want to.”
Recently, Schumacher became a death hoax victim when several Twitter users started messaging condolences to the racing legend’s family.
Twitter user @HenryWyatt posted a message, "Rip Michael Schumacher. A legend of the sport" and soon the news spread on social networking sites.
A Facebook page titled “RIP Michael Schumacher 1969 – 2014” has also been active since December 30, 2013. The social networking site has garnered more than 800 likes till date.
To report problems or to leave feedback about this article, e-mail:
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Global Aviation Accidents: UN to Form Safety Task Force, Gov'ts Should Share Intelligence Info to Avert Future Incidents on Flying Over Warzones (PHOTOS)
- PageSix: Beyonce & Jay Z Union is Not About Love, All About Business & the Brand
- Kate Middleton & Prince William Vacation Plans: Visit Prince Charles & Camilla Parker-Bowles
Join the Conversation
- Roger Federer Tasks Engineers to Create the Perfect Tennis Racquet [VIDEO]
- LeBron James and Cleveland Cavaliers the Team to Beat in the East – Paul George
- Roger Federer Forced to Take Down Children's Play Area on his Property in Valbella
- Chelsea FC Transfer News: Renewed Hope for Blues, as Paul Pogba's Agent Revealed that 'Anything is Possible'
- UFC 183: Anderson Silva vs. Nick Diaz Receives Mixed Reactions on Twitter
- Apple iPhone 6 Release Date Update: 6 Most Wanted Feature Upgrades for Next iPhone
- Moto X Android 4.4.4 KitKat Update Guide: Schedule and How to Install
- Twin Malaysia Airlines MH370, MH17 Aviation Disasters Create Phobia Among Travellers
- HTC One M8 Windows Phone to Launch for Verizon; Release Date, Price, Five Fresh Features to Anticipate for New Smartphone
- OnePlus One vs. Moto X+1 – Early Specifications, Release Date and Price Faceoff
- Galaxy Note 4 Release Date Ahead of iPhone 6 Sept 2014 Debut; Specced-Up but Remains Plastic-Wrapped – Reports
- LG G2 Android 4.4.4 KitKat Guide: When to Hit Your Region and How to Install