Injury-ridden Djokovic Withdraws from Madrid Open
By Shruthi SU | May 5, 2014 4:40 PM EST
Novak Djokovic has withdrawn from the Madrid Open much to the disappointment of his fans in Spain, due to the right wrist injury that troubled him during the Monte Carlo Masters recently.
Novak Djokovic withdraws from Madrid Open.
It was in the quarterfinals in Monaco while playing against Spaniard Guillermo Garcia-Lopez that his injury was aggravated, playing a major role in the loss against Roger Federer in the semifinals. After the tournament, Djokovic had said that the sudden shift from hard courts to clay might have been the cause, and that he will be able to avoid surgery on his wrist. The Serb has also said that he'll be available for Madrid but unfortunately, that is not to be.
"I am very sorry for the Madrid tournament and all the Spanish fans to have to pull out of the Mutua Madrid Open," Djokovic said. "I did everything possible in order to play in Madrid, which is one of the biggest events of the year, but unfortunately my right arm injury has flared up again.
"Now I will take some time to recover and heal my injury, hoping I will be ready for Rome. I look forward to returning to Madrid next year."
With Rome Masters starting on 11 May and Roland Garros starting 25 May, Djokovic will aim to rest his wrist as much as possible.
Djokovic has won six major championships and the only Grand Slam missing from his collection is the French Open title, where he has been a finalist in 2012 and semifinalist in 2013 - losing both times to eight-time champ Rafael Nadal.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Kate Middleton Suffocated in Kensington Palace, Queen Elizabeth Reported War With The Duchess [PHOTOS]
- Brad Pitt Still in Love with Ex-Wife Jennifer Aniston, Staying with Angelina Jolie for Sake of Kids, Claims Brad's Psychic
- British Style Icon Kate Middleton Fashion Talk With Camilla Parker-Bowles Daughter-In-Law [PHOTOS]
- Transfer News: Manchester United's Possible Transfer Options For This Season
Join the Conversation
- Floyd Sr Already Endorsing Manny Pacquiao vs. Floyd Fight After Anticipated Victory Over Maidana
- Top 10 Highest Paid Tennis Players
- Dallas Cowboys Have Worst Linebackers in History, Tony Romo To Miss Games Again – Gerry Fraley
- Chelsea FC Transfer News: Mourinho's Free-Transfer Ploy On Khedira Working, After Latter Refused To Pen New Real Madrid Deal
- Spanish Super Cup Second Leg Preview
- James Foley Beheading Video Has Play-Acting Portions – Video Experts Say
- Apple iPhone 6 Release Date, iPhone 6C or 6L Anticipation: Three Things Should Matter To New Phone Shoppers
- Upcoming Sony Xperia Z3 With Dual-SIM Support Gets Approved In China; Full Specifications Revealed; Amber-Coloured Xperia Z3 Tipped
- More Nexus 8/Nexus 9 Release Confirmed with More Leaks and Out of Stock Nexus 7 and 10
- James Foley: Release of Beheading Video by ISIS Meant to Attract More Recruits to Join the Cause – Intelligence
- 2015 Ford Mustang: Right-Hand Drive Pony Car To Be Available In Australia Next Year
- James Foley: ISIS Demanded Multimillion Ransom, US Refused To Pay---Reports