Injury-ridden Djokovic Withdraws from Madrid Open
By Shruthi SU | May 5, 2014 4:40 PM EST
Novak Djokovic has withdrawn from the Madrid Open much to the disappointment of his fans in Spain, due to the right wrist injury that troubled him during the Monte Carlo Masters recently.
Novak Djokovic withdraws from Madrid Open.
It was in the quarterfinals in Monaco while playing against Spaniard Guillermo Garcia-Lopez that his injury was aggravated, playing a major role in the loss against Roger Federer in the semifinals. After the tournament, Djokovic had said that the sudden shift from hard courts to clay might have been the cause, and that he will be able to avoid surgery on his wrist. The Serb has also said that he'll be available for Madrid but unfortunately, that is not to be.
"I am very sorry for the Madrid tournament and all the Spanish fans to have to pull out of the Mutua Madrid Open," Djokovic said. "I did everything possible in order to play in Madrid, which is one of the biggest events of the year, but unfortunately my right arm injury has flared up again.
"Now I will take some time to recover and heal my injury, hoping I will be ready for Rome. I look forward to returning to Madrid next year."
With Rome Masters starting on 11 May and Roland Garros starting 25 May, Djokovic will aim to rest his wrist as much as possible.
Djokovic has won six major championships and the only Grand Slam missing from his collection is the French Open title, where he has been a finalist in 2012 and semifinalist in 2013 - losing both times to eight-time champ Rafael Nadal.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
Join the Conversation
- Fernando Alonso Leaves Ferrari 'For Two Reasons'
- Roger Federer Says He Has Never Seen Rafael Nadal Play So Bad, Wishes That The Spaniard Recuperate Well From Appendicitis
- Manny Pacquiao Has Got Chris Algieri Fight All Figured Out
- Female Boxer Dies In South Africa Following Knockout Blow
- Nick Kyrgios Holds Twitter Q&A, Says Roger Federer Is The Greatest Of All Time And His Favourite Superhero
- Marvel Announces Release Dates Of 11 Upcoming Movies From 2015 To 2019
- Xiaomi Becomes World’s Third Largest Smartphone Manufacturer By Dethroning Huawei
- Entry Of Peshmerga Fighters From Iraq Boosts The Kobani Battle Against ISIS: Turkey Provides Transit
- Nexus 6, 9 Buyers on November Release Will Enjoy These 3 Killer Lollipop 5.0 Features First
- Nokia Lumia 730 v. Sharp Aquos Crystal – Specifications, Features And Price Showdown
- Woman Hanged In Iran Talks Abuse In Prison, Left Chilling Message To Family
- Australia Special Forces Await 'Delayed' Iraqi Visas Before Joining ISIS Fight