Injury-ridden Djokovic Withdraws from Madrid Open
By Shruthi SU | May 5, 2014 4:40 PM EST
Novak Djokovic has withdrawn from the Madrid Open much to the disappointment of his fans in Spain, due to the right wrist injury that troubled him during the Monte Carlo Masters recently.
Novak Djokovic withdraws from Madrid Open.
It was in the quarterfinals in Monaco while playing against Spaniard Guillermo Garcia-Lopez that his injury was aggravated, playing a major role in the loss against Roger Federer in the semifinals. After the tournament, Djokovic had said that the sudden shift from hard courts to clay might have been the cause, and that he will be able to avoid surgery on his wrist. The Serb has also said that he'll be available for Madrid but unfortunately, that is not to be.
"I am very sorry for the Madrid tournament and all the Spanish fans to have to pull out of the Mutua Madrid Open," Djokovic said. "I did everything possible in order to play in Madrid, which is one of the biggest events of the year, but unfortunately my right arm injury has flared up again.
"Now I will take some time to recover and heal my injury, hoping I will be ready for Rome. I look forward to returning to Madrid next year."
With Rome Masters starting on 11 May and Roland Garros starting 25 May, Djokovic will aim to rest his wrist as much as possible.
Djokovic has won six major championships and the only Grand Slam missing from his collection is the French Open title, where he has been a finalist in 2012 and semifinalist in 2013 - losing both times to eight-time champ Rafael Nadal.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- NFL MNF: Pittsburgh Steelers 30, Houston Texans 23 [PHOTOS]
- 2014 MLB World Series Game 1: San Francisco Giants 7, Kansas City Royals 1 [PHOTOS]
- 2014 MLB World Series - Game 2: Kansas City Royals 7, San Francisco Giants 2 [PHOTOS]
- NFL Thursday Recap - Denver Broncos 35, San Diego Chargers 21: Peyton Manning Has 3 TDs In Easy Win [PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- Rafael Nadal On Roger Federer: ‘He’s A Good Person, A Fantastic Player And A Great Man On Court’
- Jeremy Lin’s Big Break: Steve Nash Out For The Season For The Los Angeles Lakers
- NBA News: Teammate Stresses Jeremy Lin's Importance To The Lakers
- Croatian Boxer Banned For Life From Sport After Vicious Attack On Polish Referee [VIDEO]
- Manny Pacquiao Is Better Than Floyd Mayweather Jr. In Basketball Claims Freddie Roach
- Xiaomi Redmi 1S vs. Sharp Aquos Crystal – Specifications, Features And Price Showdown
- ASUS Releases A Teaser Indicating The Arrival of New Zenfone and ZenWatch On October 28
- Boy Stoned To Death For Alleged Rape, Victim Receives Dowry From Militants
- Verizon Motorola Droid Turbo Leaked Live Images Surfaces, Scheduled To Get Unveiled On Oct 28
- Update HTC One M7 with LG G2 with Android 4.4.2 as Sprint OTA: Fixes and Installation
- Three Dual SIM Samsung Galaxy Note 4 Duos Variants Comes To China
- Russia is Creating Underwater Combat Robots to Protect its Arctic Territories