Newcastle Jets Appoints Phil Stubbins as New Coach
By Dhrubajyoti Biswas | May 5, 2014 4:28 PM EST
Former Adelaide coach Phil Stubbins was appointed the head coach of Newcastle Jets for a span of two years.
Newcastle Jets Chief Executive Robbie Middleby was happy to have Stubbins as a coach and stated his selection as a right choice.
"We firmly believe Phil is the right man to lead the club forward and we are delighted to welcome Phil to Newcastle ... Phil is an experienced coach who knows the A-League and has strong man management skills...He will bring a winning mentality to the club and he knows what it takes to be successful," Middleby said.
The 51-year-old Stubbins was also excited to join the team as a coach.
"It's a fantastic challenge and I certainly believe in this squad. We want to give the club and its members the success they deserve...My efforts will be to cultivate a clear identity and winning culture here at the Newcastle Jets," Stubbins said.
Stubbins earlier joined the A-League club from Thailand and have coached Ayutthaya FC and Bangkok Glass FC. He also coached Australian Institute of Sports.
Stubbins also served as an assistant coach for the Red's during their peak time when the team reached the final of the Asian Champions League and further competed in the FIFA Club World Cup.
Clayton Zane, who acted as the head coach for 12 games this season following the replacement of Gary van Egmond, will serve as assistant coach.
The Newcastle Jets are banking on the past experience of Stubbins to pull the team in a formidable position.
The club also confirmed that former striker Michael Bridges will also join the coaching camp. Michael will start his tenure as a coach for the under-18 Emerging Jets squad.
Stubbins, upon joining the club, need to undergo some crucial decisions for players like David Carney, Emile Heskey, Joel Griffiths, James Brown, Nick Ward and Joey Gibbs who are not in the contract.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
Join the Conversation
- Dionesian ‘Hex’: Pacquiao’s Secret Weapon Behind His 8 Titles
- ESPN Anchor Skip Bayless Says Floyd Mayweather Jr Will Not Fight Manny Pacquiao Because Undefeated Fighter Is ‘Afraid To Lose’
- Chris Algieri Exposed, Criticised For Lack Of Desire To Win Against Manny Pacquiao
- Arum Says Pacquiao's Victory vs Algieri May Cause Mayweather To Say ‘No’ To Dream Match
- Boxing News: Manny Pacquiao 'Ready' To Fight Floyd Mayweather In 2015 Following Algieri Win
- Apple and Google Engage in Thermonuclear War, New Google Translate Chat App in the Works
- Chris Algieri’s Battered Face Trends On Social Media
- Highest Paid NBA Players 2014: NBA Stars Who Earn More Than LeBron James
- Walmart Offers the Best 2014 Black Friday Deals on iPhone 6, iPad Ai2 & Other Gadgets – Reports