Childhood Friends James Packer, David Gyngell Seen Wrestling Each Other In Bondi
By Anne Lu | May 5, 2014 4:24 PM EST
Media mogul James Packer was photographed wrestling with the best man of his wedding, David Gyngell. Their fist fight on Sunday afternoon didn’t appear to be friendly, with witnesses outside his Bondi Beach home saying that they stopped only after being forcibly separated by their minders.
According to reports, Packer and the Channel Nine CEO came to blows outside Packer’s home in Bondi. The reason for their fisticuffs still isn’t known, with both sides releasing a short statement saying that they will not be commenting about the incident.
However, it apparently started when Packer saw Gyngell waiting for him outside his house. Gyngell was said to be sitting on the boot of his car for 20 minutes to wait for Packer.
Instead of exchanging pleasantries, as what old friends normally do, the two hurled profanities at each other, prompting passers-by to look on in shock.
They then threw punches at each other, and eventually fell to the ground as they continue wrestling. That’s when Packer’s bodyguards stepped in and forcibly separated them.
Packer and Gyngell retreated to their respective homes following their public fight. A medical professional was seen entering Packer’s home a short time later, presumably to attend to Packer.
People were also spotted looking for teeth outside his home, though it is unclear which one is missing his teeth. According to witnesses, Packer is sporting a black eye, while Gyngell appeared to be unscathed.
Sources told the Sydney Morning Herald that Gyngell, who was the best man in both of Packer’s doomed marriages to Jodhi Meares and Erica Baxter, was fed up with how his friend was acting.
Packer’s decision to end his six-year marriage to Erica was apparently the reason for their falling out.
“He has known James the longest, he was the only one who could tell him that he didn’t like how he was behaving and it didn’t go down well.”
Packer is living life as a billionaire bachelor since his second marriage ended six months ago. He is also reportedly dating supermodel Miranda Kerr.
Gyngell, who attended the exclusive Cranbrook School with Packer, is expecting his second child with wife Leila McKinnon.
On Monday, the two released a joint statement, saying, “We have been friends for 35 years and still are. In that time we have had our fair share of ups and downs. We respect each other and neither of us will be commenting further.”
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Still The World Champions: Team USA Overpowers Serbia, 129-92 To Win 2014 FIBA World Cup [PHOTOS]
- After Win Over Maidana, Mayweather Says He Is Prepared To Negotiate A Fight With Pacquiao
- From Fat To Fit: Celebrities Who Were Overweight Before They Became The Beauties That They Are
- Kendall Jenner Could Be Next Victoria's Secret Angel [PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- ‘America's Got Talent’ (AGT) Season 9 (2014) Winner: Betting Odds And Judges Predict Who Could Win The Finals
- ‘America’s Got Talent’ (AGT) Season 9 (2014) Finale Performance Episode Recap, Spoilers: 6 Finalists Perform Their Last Acts To Win Finals
- ‘Dancing With The Stars’ (DWTS) Season 19 (2014) Winner Predictions: Fellow Contestants And Betting Odds Predict Who Could Win Mirror Ball Trophy
- ‘The Big Bang Theory’ Season 8 Spoilers: Nine Moments From Episode 1, The Locomotion Interruption
- ‘The Bachelor Australia’ Season 2 Preview: Sam’s Fairy Tale Date, Belly Dancing Time, Who Exits
- iOS 8 Release Date Of Sept 17 Has Arrived: Update Begins At 10AM Pacific Time, Upgrade Your iDevices With iOS 7.1.2 First To Install iOS 8
- Pregnant Kate Middleton May Call Off Malta Trip Due To Sickness: Royal Couple Will Move To Anmer Hall Residence
- Why Samsung Galaxy S5 Is Not The Best Smartphone To Purchase Now? If You Still Want To, Wait For A Month To Get It Cheap
- Apple iPad Air 2, iPad Mini 3 October Release Date Roundup: Freshly Leaked Protective Case Debuts Unique Vent Alongside Camera
- Ukraine Crisis: Poland Denies Supplying Weapons To Kiev
- Google Nexus 8 Release Date Countdown Begins Oct 8: 8 Killer Specs and Features to Expect
- Canadian IS Jihadist Who Wants to ‘Play Soccer’ with Heads of US Decapitated Soldiers