Meteor Strike Reported in Canada with ‘Flash of Blue Light’ & ‘Shockwave’
By Sounak Mukhopadhyay | May 5, 2014 4:22 PM EST
A meteor apparently entered the Canada sky as several people claimed that they witnessed a "flash of blue" and heard "a loud boom" in Ontario.
Even though scientists are yet to confirm the claim, social media have already gone crowded with photos confirming the claim. The American Meteor Society reportedly has around a dozen investigations pending, related to claims of meteor strike in Canada. CTV News reported that several people claimed that they had seen "something" which resembled a meteor trail. It took place in the Greater Toronto Area on Sunday, May 4.
There was even a video posted on YouTube that showed a streak of light resembling a meteor. A person was apparently moving in a car while he captured the video near Toronto. The meteor strike in Canada, as claimed, happened a day before the Eta Aquarid meteor shower which occurs every year. NASA said that the annual "show" was to be expected on May 5 and 6 at night. The natural phenomenon takes place every year during spring when the earth moves past the trail of debris from the Halley's Comet.
Southern Ontario residents along with some of their U.S. counterparts claimed watching a meteor. The "lightning bolt" as well as the "hearing and feeling a rumble," as described by CBC News, was confirmed by many. An Ontario resident wrote on Twitter that she assumed that it was either an explosion or an earthquake as she felt her house vibrate.
According to Peter Brown - Western University professor and Canada Research Chair, the eyewitness reports and images shared on social media were consistent with a meteor. Brown happens to be an expert in comets and meteors. He called it a "pretty massive event" with "lots of mass." He said that there was a "good chance" that the reported meteor would make it to the ground. He also said that several microphones at the university did detect a shockwave during Sunday afternoon.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Taylor Swift Named Forbes' Second Highest Paid Country Musician [PHOTOS]
- Forever Lost: Indescribable Anguish for Malaysia Airlines MH17 Families, Remains of Some Victims May Never Be Found (PHOTOS)
- Global Aviation Accidents: UN to Form Safety Task Force, Gov'ts Should Share Intelligence Info to Avert Future Incidents on Flying Over Warzones (PHOTOS)
- PageSix: Beyonce & Jay Z Union is Not About Love, All About Business & the Brand
Join the Conversation
- NASA Astronomers Unearths Mysterious Signal That 'Could Not Be Explained By Known Physics' [Watch Video]
- Richard Norris' Successful Face Transplant Lands Him in GQ Cover [WATCH VIDEOS]
- Industrial Air Pollution May Help Search for Alien Life - Scientists
- Luxury Cruise: A 'Once In A Lifetime' Trip To Experience Environment Devastation in the Arctic
- Breaking Discovery: Industrial Pollution Reached South Pole by 19th Century
- Samsung Galaxy S5 Alpha Leaks Online: Release Date, Five Features to Wait for New Smart Phone
- Photos of Motorola Moto X+1 Prototype and Specs Leak Online, Release Date, Four Fresh Features Revealed
- Sony Xperia Z3: Release Date, Five Features to Expect from New Android Smart Phone
- Top Surprising Features Of iOS 8
- Top 4 Reasons Why iPhone 6 Will Hit Big Soon After its Sept 2014 Release Date
- 5 Food Scandals That Shocked The World
- Iran Leader Asks Muslims to Supply Arms to Palestine, Calls Israel ‘Rapacious Wolf’