Meteor Strike Reported in Canada with ‘Flash of Blue Light’ & ‘Shockwave’
By Sounak Mukhopadhyay | May 5, 2014 4:22 PM EST
A meteor apparently entered the Canada sky as several people claimed that they witnessed a "flash of blue" and heard "a loud boom" in Ontario.
Even though scientists are yet to confirm the claim, social media have already gone crowded with photos confirming the claim. The American Meteor Society reportedly has around a dozen investigations pending, related to claims of meteor strike in Canada. CTV News reported that several people claimed that they had seen "something" which resembled a meteor trail. It took place in the Greater Toronto Area on Sunday, May 4.
There was even a video posted on YouTube that showed a streak of light resembling a meteor. A person was apparently moving in a car while he captured the video near Toronto. The meteor strike in Canada, as claimed, happened a day before the Eta Aquarid meteor shower which occurs every year. NASA said that the annual "show" was to be expected on May 5 and 6 at night. The natural phenomenon takes place every year during spring when the earth moves past the trail of debris from the Halley's Comet.
Southern Ontario residents along with some of their U.S. counterparts claimed watching a meteor. The "lightning bolt" as well as the "hearing and feeling a rumble," as described by CBC News, was confirmed by many. An Ontario resident wrote on Twitter that she assumed that it was either an explosion or an earthquake as she felt her house vibrate.
According to Peter Brown - Western University professor and Canada Research Chair, the eyewitness reports and images shared on social media were consistent with a meteor. Brown happens to be an expert in comets and meteors. He called it a "pretty massive event" with "lots of mass." He said that there was a "good chance" that the reported meteor would make it to the ground. He also said that several microphones at the university did detect a shockwave during Sunday afternoon.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
Join the Conversation
- MH370 Search Update: Australian Scientists Has Reportedly Found A Solution To The Mystery Of Missing Malaysia Airlines Jet
- 'Human Skull' Found On Mars [Watch Video]
- UFO Sighting: UFO Spotted Above Las Vegas, Nevada
- Final 2014 Solar Eclipse: When And How To Safely View It Plus Where To Watch Online Via Live Stream
- Alien Toy Doll Found On Mars [Watch Video]
- iOS 8 Jailbreak Release Date Likely this October 2014 with Pangu not Evad3rs Firming Up as Creator
- Chilling: New ISIS Video Addresses Australia; Aussie Teen Delivers Message
- The Pirate Bay Blockade: Cost Of Blocking Websites Like TPB Is Ridiculously High
- Xiaomi Mi4 And MiPad Prices Likely Slashed, Thanks To Rivals Oppo, OnePlus And Meizu
- Top 4 Free-To-Download Apps for Fuller iPhone 6, 6 Plus Experience
- Russia Beefs Up Gold Reserves To Offset Heat of Sanctions And Undercut Dollar