iPhone 6 Rumors: Why Apple Needs a Big Screen Device
By Sachin Trivedi | May 5, 2014 2:57 PM EST
Apple fans have been waiting for the release of iPhone 6 for some time now and all indications suggest that this may the most anticipated device from the company ever. Rumors suggest that the device is going to come in 4.7 inch and 5.5 inch variants and analysts see it as a decision which is long overdue.
Apple's new iPhone 5S is displayed at an Apple shop in Tokyo's Ginza shopping district in this September 20, 2013 file photo. As the smartphone action shifts to the mass market, leaders Samsung Electronics Co Ltd and Apple Inc are under pressure to make their high-end phones more affordable to revive sales. And that may spell trouble for already-softening margins. To match Analysis SAMSUNG-ELEC/SMARTPHONES REUTERS/Yuya Shino/Files
Smartphone manufacturers have slowly moved on to bigger screen devices but only Apple chose to go slow on bigger screen devices. But things have changed recently and the company seems to moving towards introducing a bigger screen device into the market.
Analysts feel that it makes good business sense for Apple to introduce a 5.5 inch screen in the iPhone 6. The company so far does not have a device between the 4 inch iPhone 5S and the 7.9 inch iPad Mini. The upcoming device may fill this gap and give customers additional options.
Does this mean that the smaller screened devices will eventually be phased out? Not necessarily, there is still a huge demand for smaller screened devices which people find easy to hold and operate with one hand and carry in their pockets.
Analysts feel that the iPhone 6 will cater to the demand by customers who prefer to own a phablet which can be used as both a smartphone and a tablet. The bigger screen device makes it easy to read eBooks and watch videos, although some people have a problem carrying such devices in their pockets.
One concern that people have with a 5.5 inch smartphone from Apple is the screen resolution. Apple is popular because of the high quality Retina display on its devices. A bigger screen phone will require better resolution in order to deliver a high quality display.
iPhone 6 will have to take on competing smartphones in its category like Samsung Galaxy Note 3, which has substantially added to Samsung revenues since its launch. So far there have been no devices to give a strong competition to the Note 3 from Apple.
Samsung launched the Galaxy Note 3 along with its smartwatch as a companion device. There is speculation that Apple will be launching its rumored and much awaited iWatch along with the iPhone 6.
In terms of specs, the iPhone 6 is expected to get an upgrade in the processor. The device is expected to come with a quad core processor but readers may be disappointed about the RAM, which is expected to be just 1 GB.
Reports say that customers are hoping that the camera on the device gets an upgrade in terms of the megapixels. A 13 MP primary camera is what fans are looking forward to. But rumors suggest that Apple may stick to its 8 MP primary camera, which is available in the iPhone 5S.
In terms of features, 2 new technologies that tech buffs would like to see in the iPhone 6 are NFC or the Near Field Communication and wireless charging. The device is expected to come with the fingerprint scanner feature, which is available in the iPhone 5S.
The iPhone 6 is expected to be released by September 2014, given that the company had released the iPhone 5 in September 2012 and the iPhone 5S in September 2013. The only difference may be that there are rumors that there may be two variants of the device unveiled along with the iWatch.
More Articles to Read
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Malaysia Airlines Flight MH17: King Williem-Alexander, Queen Maxima Hold Solemn Reception Ceremony for Victims
- Jennifer Lawrence & Nicholas Hoult Allegedly Split: Mad Max Actor Cheats with Kristen Stewart & Riley Keough - Reports
- Forever Lost: Indescribable Anguish for Malaysia Airlines MH17 Families, Remains of Some Victims May Never Be Found (PHOTOS)
- Taylor Swift Named Forbes' Second Highest Paid Country Musician [PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- PS4 vs. Xbox One Games: The Last of Us Remastered Photo Mode Leaked Shots; Halo: Master Chief Collection Detailed
- Dragon Age 3 Inquisition Romance: Cassandra Pentaghast, Dorian, Cullen, Sera, Iron Bull and Josephine Montilyet
- The SIMS 4 Official System Requirements Reveal Low Spec Demands; Release Date on September 2
- Samsung Galaxy Note 3 N9005 Official Android 4.4.2 KitKat XXUFNF4 Firmware Manual Installation
- Disney Infinity 2.0: Marvel Super Heroes Release Date, Features Marvel's Guardians Of The Galaxy Play Set
- Apple iPhone 6 on Two Confirmed Release Dates, New Parts Leaked Suggesting Bigger iPhone to Come
- Google Nexus 6, 8 with Android L on Release Date Promises Killer Mobile Device Experience
- iPhone 6 Release Date Relevance to iOS Newbies: Specs Meaning, Price Considerations
- Xiaomi Mi4 vs OnePlusOne vs Nexus 5: Mi4 is the ‘Perfect’ Phone
- HTC One M8 Android 4.4.3 KitKat Update Roll Out, Introducing the HTC One Remix
- The Pirate Bay Releases ‘The Mobile Bay’: Mobile Torrent Download Made Easier but Remains Illegal
- Shocking Video of Pedigree Dog Culling in Bali Emerges [Video]