Kate Upton’s Role in ‘The Other Woman’ Deemed as the Film’s ‘Weakest Link’; ‘Dumb Blonde’ Role Just Plain ‘Dumb’?
By Rachelle Corpuz | May 5, 2014 2:26 PM EST
There are a number of Hollywood movies that has already incorporated the dumb blonde trick in an effort to sell their production even more. Some of the A-list Hollywood celebrities who had delved on such role include Marilyn Monroe, Pamela Anderson, Heather Graham, Jessica Simpson, and Paris Hilton to name a few. Unfortunately, the dumb blonde roles in movies can be amusing, but at the same time, annoying for some people. Sports Illustrated model Kate Upton is the recent addition to the list of celebrities who played the role of a dumb blonde with her participation in the movie "The Other Woman." A critic who writes for The Washington Post wasn't pleased with Upton's performance in the said movie and even said that it was one of the film's "weakest link."
Actress and model Kate Upton poses for photographers as she arrives for the UK Gala screening of The Other Woman in London April 2, 2014.
According to Ann Hornaday, it was awful to watch Upton's acting skills in the movie. She noted that Upton tried her best to deliver her lines but it just didn't work out well. "It was painful to watch Upton," Ms. Hornaday wrote. She added that the dumb blonde roles has somehow became a habit in some movies, which is true especially in movies that need a cheap laugh or movies that have weak storylines. "The Other Woman" is about a wife and mistress who teamed up together to plot their revenge on a womaniser.
"When someone of Upton's limited acting skill and experience plays the Dumb Blonde, the result is just, well, dumb." Read more of Ms. Hordanay's review here.
The New York Times reported that Upton's appearance in "The Other Woman" was merely just for "eye candy." "Amber (Upton) is crassly shoehorned into the movie to provide jiggling eye candy for boys."
Of course, not every critic is the same. San Francisco Chronicle's Mick Lasalle praised Upton in her performance in the movie. "Upton plays stupid so well that she must be smart," Lasalle wrote.
People have had a good laugh over dumb blonde movies. "The Other Woman," despite its mixed reviews from critics, still managed to top the box office. It has reportedly bagged $24.8 million on its opening weekend, better than Chris Evans' "Captain America: The Winter Soldier" at the second spot.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
Join the Conversation
- Dota 2 Match Fixing Controversy: Arrow Gaming Disqualified From Summit 2 Tournament [VIDEO]
- Roger Federer Starts Practicing On Clay For The Davis Cup Final
- Toni Nadal Says Roger Federer Is The Greatest Of All Time
- Manchester United: Did Ed Woodward Really Uttered Expletives During The Red Devils' Draw Against West Brom?
- Chelsea FC: No 'Crying' For The Blues Amid Injury Woes Ahead Of Man Utd Clash, Says Mourinho
- Chilling: New ISIS Video Addresses Australia; Aussie Teen Delivers Message
- The Pirate Bay Blockade: Cost Of Blocking Websites Like TPB Is Ridiculously High
- Xiaomi Mi4 And MiPad Prices Likely Slashed, Thanks To Rivals Oppo, OnePlus And Meizu
- Virginia Woman Who Posted Naked Image Of Ex-BF’s New Partner 1st Person Charged Under Revenge Porn Law
- No Mercy: ISIS, Father Stones to Death Daughter for Alleged Adultery
- Meizu MX4 Pro To Arrive In November In Black And White Colours, Features Higher Than QHD Display, Exynos 5430 SoC And 3 GB RAM
- iOS 8 Jailbreak Release Date is Doomed as Team Evad3rs Opts Out, Pangu Hits Snag – Report