Kate Upton’s Role in ‘The Other Woman’ Deemed as the Film’s ‘Weakest Link’; ‘Dumb Blonde’ Role Just Plain ‘Dumb’?
By Rachelle Corpuz | May 5, 2014 2:26 PM EST
There are a number of Hollywood movies that has already incorporated the dumb blonde trick in an effort to sell their production even more. Some of the A-list Hollywood celebrities who had delved on such role include Marilyn Monroe, Pamela Anderson, Heather Graham, Jessica Simpson, and Paris Hilton to name a few. Unfortunately, the dumb blonde roles in movies can be amusing, but at the same time, annoying for some people. Sports Illustrated model Kate Upton is the recent addition to the list of celebrities who played the role of a dumb blonde with her participation in the movie "The Other Woman." A critic who writes for The Washington Post wasn't pleased with Upton's performance in the said movie and even said that it was one of the film's "weakest link."
Actress and model Kate Upton poses for photographers as she arrives for the UK Gala screening of The Other Woman in London April 2, 2014.
According to Ann Hornaday, it was awful to watch Upton's acting skills in the movie. She noted that Upton tried her best to deliver her lines but it just didn't work out well. "It was painful to watch Upton," Ms. Hornaday wrote. She added that the dumb blonde roles has somehow became a habit in some movies, which is true especially in movies that need a cheap laugh or movies that have weak storylines. "The Other Woman" is about a wife and mistress who teamed up together to plot their revenge on a womaniser.
"When someone of Upton's limited acting skill and experience plays the Dumb Blonde, the result is just, well, dumb." Read more of Ms. Hordanay's review here.
The New York Times reported that Upton's appearance in "The Other Woman" was merely just for "eye candy." "Amber (Upton) is crassly shoehorned into the movie to provide jiggling eye candy for boys."
Of course, not every critic is the same. San Francisco Chronicle's Mick Lasalle praised Upton in her performance in the movie. "Upton plays stupid so well that she must be smart," Lasalle wrote.
People have had a good laugh over dumb blonde movies. "The Other Woman," despite its mixed reviews from critics, still managed to top the box office. It has reportedly bagged $24.8 million on its opening weekend, better than Chris Evans' "Captain America: The Winter Soldier" at the second spot.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Kristen Stewart Moving On With Nicholas Hoult, Jennifer Lawrence Dating Chris Martin – Reports [PHOTOS]
- Chris Martin Dating Reports: Jennifer Lawrence Vs Gwyneth Paltrow [PHOTOS]
- Kate Middleton Suffocated in Kensington Palace, Queen Elizabeth Reported War With The Duchess [PHOTOS]
- 2014 MTV Video Music Awards: Everything To Know [PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- Tim Tebow Stars in SEC Network Commercial
- Fernando Alonso Describes Michael Schumacher as the Strongest Opponent He Has Faced in F1
- Rafael Nadal Will Miss 2014 US Open; Roger Federer Looking to Pounce on Rival
- Serena Williams and Patrick Mouratoglou Break-up Unlikely, Coach Posts Instagram Photos of Girlfriend
- Arsenal FC: Wenger Satisfied Despite Coming Out with a Draw against Besiktas
- Saudi Arabia: Brothers Beheaded For Smuggling Marijuana Into The Kingdom
- ISIS Posts Graphic Beheading Video of US Journalist James Foley
- ISIS: More Journalists Beheading To Come After James Foley and Steven Sotloff [Video]
- Nexus 6 Release Date Dilemma with Motorola Shamu Details Pointing to Better Smartphone and Killer Features
- After James Foley, ISIL Threatens to Behead Another American Journalist Steven Sotloff
- Moto X+1 is Likely Nexus 6 Template; Motorola Shamu is 1st Android Silver with Snapdragon 810 – Reports
- James Foley’s Executioner Has British Accent—A Chilling Reminder That ISIS Has Foreign Members