Kate Upton’s Role in ‘The Other Woman’ Deemed as the Film’s ‘Weakest Link’; ‘Dumb Blonde’ Role Just Plain ‘Dumb’?
By Rachelle Corpuz | May 5, 2014 2:26 PM EST
There are a number of Hollywood movies that has already incorporated the dumb blonde trick in an effort to sell their production even more. Some of the A-list Hollywood celebrities who had delved on such role include Marilyn Monroe, Pamela Anderson, Heather Graham, Jessica Simpson, and Paris Hilton to name a few. Unfortunately, the dumb blonde roles in movies can be amusing, but at the same time, annoying for some people. Sports Illustrated model Kate Upton is the recent addition to the list of celebrities who played the role of a dumb blonde with her participation in the movie "The Other Woman." A critic who writes for The Washington Post wasn't pleased with Upton's performance in the said movie and even said that it was one of the film's "weakest link."
Actress and model Kate Upton poses for photographers as she arrives for the UK Gala screening of The Other Woman in London April 2, 2014.
According to Ann Hornaday, it was awful to watch Upton's acting skills in the movie. She noted that Upton tried her best to deliver her lines but it just didn't work out well. "It was painful to watch Upton," Ms. Hornaday wrote. She added that the dumb blonde roles has somehow became a habit in some movies, which is true especially in movies that need a cheap laugh or movies that have weak storylines. "The Other Woman" is about a wife and mistress who teamed up together to plot their revenge on a womaniser.
"When someone of Upton's limited acting skill and experience plays the Dumb Blonde, the result is just, well, dumb." Read more of Ms. Hordanay's review here.
The New York Times reported that Upton's appearance in "The Other Woman" was merely just for "eye candy." "Amber (Upton) is crassly shoehorned into the movie to provide jiggling eye candy for boys."
Of course, not every critic is the same. San Francisco Chronicle's Mick Lasalle praised Upton in her performance in the movie. "Upton plays stupid so well that she must be smart," Lasalle wrote.
People have had a good laugh over dumb blonde movies. "The Other Woman," despite its mixed reviews from critics, still managed to top the box office. It has reportedly bagged $24.8 million on its opening weekend, better than Chris Evans' "Captain America: The Winter Soldier" at the second spot.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Flight MH17 Attack: Russians Claim 'Putin A Terrorist,' Memorial at Dutch Embassy Overflows [PHOTOS]
- Typhoon Rammasun Claims 18 Lives in China, Incurs $4.32B Losses (PHOTOS)
- Ellen DeGeneres Caught Cheating with Mutual Friend Before Portia de Rossi’s Rehab – Reports [PHOTOS]
- Selena Gomez Turns 22 Today, Celebrates Early without Justin Bieber: Top 12 Interesting Facts About the Singer [SEE PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- $300 Million at Stake for Floyd Mayweather vs. Manny Pacquiao Showdown
- Roger Federer is ‘The Greatest of All Time' - Novak Djokovic’s Coach Boris Becker
- Roger Federer Tops Forbes’ List of Most Financially Valuable Athlete; Maria Sharapova and Li Na Also Make the Cut
- Eugenie Bouchard Fires Warning To Serena Williams; She Wants No.1 Ranking
- Transfer News: Real Madrid Unveil Galactico James Rodriguez [PHOTOS]
- Samsung Galaxy Note 4 Apps Leak Online, Five Fresh Features to Expect from the Android Smartphone
- Moto 360 Price Speculations, Key Features, Strategic Release Date, Design: A Watch That is More Than Just Time
- Windows Phone 8.1 Update Rollout: 20 Nokia Lumia Phones Eligible and 13 New Features to be Added
- Google Nexus 8 Release Date Soon Along with 2 More HTC Android Tablets – Reports
- Three New Moto G Successors Spotted in FCC Document Dubbed Moto G2, Moto M and More --Reports
- iPad Air 2 Release Date Will Skip IGZO Panel; To Rollout with Super-Slim iPad Mini Air
- Upcoming iPad Mini 3 Could be 30% Thinner and Likely be Called iPad Mini Air; Apple Q3 Results Show 9% Decrease in iPad Sales