Football Transfer Rumors: Messi Heading To Man City For £164M? Sergio Aguero-Leo Tandem at Etihad
By Lou Ramon Aguila | May 5, 2014 2:15 PM EST
The possibility Lionel Messi leaving Camp Nuo and the great Barcelona team is increasingly gaining momentum. On Sunday, sources indicated English Premier League powerhouse Manchester City as the team willing to break the world transfer record to get the four-time Ballon d'Or winner this offseason.
Barcelona forward Lionel Messi will as always be the key player for his team. Reuters
According to UK online news site the Express, Manchester City is ready to offer a whopping $164 million for the chance to swoop in one of the most prolific goal scorers in the world.
Messi, who racked up 40 goals in 43 games this season, is having contract problems with his current employer, a development that has certainly opened the window of opportunity for other teams to inquire about the availability of the argentine star.
"Reports in Spain claim Manuel Pellegrini's side have prepared an eye-watering £164million offer as they look to bring one of the planet's best players to the Etihad," the Express reported on Sunday.
"City owner Sheikh Mansour has been keeping tabs on Messi since taking control of the Sky Blues in 2008, and feels the time is right to go after a player some believe to be the greatest of all time."
Despite another brilliant year on the field, Messi's campaign with Barcelona is considered by many as a complete failure after bombing out of competition the Spanish La Liga, Copa del Rey and UEFA Champions League.
After scoring 73 goals two seasons ago, Messi took the backseat a bit these past years but a move to another European football superpower could give him the opportunity to play at high level.
"Messi has struggled to reach the same heights that saw him score 73 goals two seasons ago, and many pundits believe he is stalling on a new contract in the hope that a move to one of Europe's emerging giants materializes," via the Express.
Aside from Manchester City, intra-city rival Manchester United, Paris St-Germain and even Real Madrid are tabbed as the frontrunner to get Messi's service. However, Man City appears to be a solid destination for the Argentine who will have the chance to play alongside countryman Sergio Aguero.
"Oil-rich Paris St-Germain have also been linked with the talismanic forward, but City believe their former Barcelona duo Txiki Beguiristain and Ferran Soriano can convince Messi to link up with fellow countryman Sergio Aguero and set the Premier League alight."
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Malaysia Airlines Flight MH17: King Williem-Alexander, Queen Maxima Hold Solemn Reception Ceremony for Victims
- Jennifer Lawrence & Nicholas Hoult Allegedly Split: Mad Max Actor Cheats with Kristen Stewart & Riley Keough - Reports
- Taylor Swift Named Forbes' Second Highest Paid Country Musician [PHOTOS]
- Typhoon Matmo Leaves 32k Customers w/o Electricity in Taiwan, Weakens After Landing in China
Join the Conversation
- Rugby Sevens Semis & Finals Live Stream, Schedule & Results – Commonwealth Games 2014
- A Beautiful Distraction: 5 Things You Need to Know About Sabina Altynbekova
- Boxing News 2014: 50 Cent Hits Mayweather Over Money Deal, Mocks Boxer in Instagram for Losing GF to Nelly
- Commonwealth Games 2014 Live Stream: Men’s & Women’s 100m Final, Athletics Schedule & Results Day 2
- Maria Sharapova Overtaken by Eugenie Bouchard in Poll of Sexiest Women in Tennis
- Apple iPhone 6 on Two Confirmed Release Dates, New Parts Leaked Suggesting Bigger iPhone to Come
- Google Nexus 6, 8 with Android L on Release Date Promises Killer Mobile Device Experience
- iPhone 6 Release Date Relevance to iOS Newbies: Specs Meaning, Price Considerations
- Xiaomi Mi4 vs OnePlusOne vs Nexus 5: Mi4 is the ‘Perfect’ Phone
- Israeli Women Stripping Naked for IDF Soldiers
- HTC One M8 Android 4.4.3 KitKat Update Roll Out, Introducing the HTC One Remix
- The Pirate Bay Releases ‘The Mobile Bay’: Mobile Torrent Download Made Easier but Remains Illegal