Football Transfer Rumors: Messi Heading To Man City For £164M? Sergio Aguero-Leo Tandem at Etihad
By Lou Ramon Aguila | May 5, 2014 2:15 PM EST
The possibility Lionel Messi leaving Camp Nuo and the great Barcelona team is increasingly gaining momentum. On Sunday, sources indicated English Premier League powerhouse Manchester City as the team willing to break the world transfer record to get the four-time Ballon d'Or winner this offseason.
Barcelona forward Lionel Messi will as always be the key player for his team. Reuters
According to UK online news site the Express, Manchester City is ready to offer a whopping $164 million for the chance to swoop in one of the most prolific goal scorers in the world.
Messi, who racked up 40 goals in 43 games this season, is having contract problems with his current employer, a development that has certainly opened the window of opportunity for other teams to inquire about the availability of the argentine star.
"Reports in Spain claim Manuel Pellegrini's side have prepared an eye-watering £164million offer as they look to bring one of the planet's best players to the Etihad," the Express reported on Sunday.
"City owner Sheikh Mansour has been keeping tabs on Messi since taking control of the Sky Blues in 2008, and feels the time is right to go after a player some believe to be the greatest of all time."
Despite another brilliant year on the field, Messi's campaign with Barcelona is considered by many as a complete failure after bombing out of competition the Spanish La Liga, Copa del Rey and UEFA Champions League.
After scoring 73 goals two seasons ago, Messi took the backseat a bit these past years but a move to another European football superpower could give him the opportunity to play at high level.
"Messi has struggled to reach the same heights that saw him score 73 goals two seasons ago, and many pundits believe he is stalling on a new contract in the hope that a move to one of Europe's emerging giants materializes," via the Express.
Aside from Manchester City, intra-city rival Manchester United, Paris St-Germain and even Real Madrid are tabbed as the frontrunner to get Messi's service. However, Man City appears to be a solid destination for the Argentine who will have the chance to play alongside countryman Sergio Aguero.
"Oil-rich Paris St-Germain have also been linked with the talismanic forward, but City believe their former Barcelona duo Txiki Beguiristain and Ferran Soriano can convince Messi to link up with fellow countryman Sergio Aguero and set the Premier League alight."
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Manny Pacquiao Vs. Chris Algieri World Tour Kick Off Press Conference In Macau [PHOTOS]
- Top 5 Richest Tennis Athletes
- Prince Harry & Camilla Thurlow Getting Serious, St. Tropez Holiday Before The Prince’s 30th Birthday [PHOTOS]
- Angelina Jolie & Brad Pitt Heads to Malta For New Movie After A Whirlwind French Wedding [PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- 2014 FIBA World Cup Live Streaming Info: Spain vs. Iran Preview, Starting Lineups
- 2014 FIBA World Cup Live Streaming Info: USA vs. Finland Preview, Starting Lineups [VIDEO]
- Arsenal FC Transfer News: Wenger's Take on Falcao and Rabiot
- Chelsea FC Transfer News: Blues Striker Fernando Torres Heads To AC Milan
- Arsenal FC Transfer News: Signing A Striker Is Still Considered By Wenger
- Sept 19 iPhone 6 Release Date Firms Up as iWatch Rollout Delayed to Jan 2015 – Reports
- Apple iWatch is iPhone 6 Accessory on Sept 19 Release Date: 6 Confirmed Specs & Features
- Apple iOS 8 vs Android 5.0 L: OS Wars Puts Android to Lower while Apple to Higher
- Canada Vs Russia War Erupts Via Twitter on Russia-Not Russia Maps
- James Foley Torture Involves CIA Waterboarding Technique
- North Korea Banker Who Manages Money of Kim Jong-un Defects to Russia With $5 Million
- Malaysia Airlines to Axe 4,000 Employees, Including CEO; Suspends Trading of Shares