‘Doctor Who’ Matt Smith Joining Arnold Schwarzenegger, ‘Game of Thrones’ Star Emilia Clarke for New ‘Terminator: Genesis’ Film
By Anne Lu | May 5, 2014 1:50 PM EST
Former “Doctor Who” Matt Smith will be starring opposite Arnold Schwarzenegger in the new “Terminator” film. Also joining the newly rebooted franchise are “Game of Thrones” star Emilia Clarke and Australian actor Jason Clarke.
Smith, who famously played the eleventh Doctor in the UK cult TV series, will “play a new character with a strong connection to John Connor.”
According to Deadline, Smith’s role is a major character that will “grow in the second and third films.”
He is the latest star announced to join the billion-dollar film franchise. Emilia and Jason, both with last names Clarke but of no relation to each other, were previously announced to star in the film.
Emilia, who plays Daenerys Targaryen in the HBO fantasy series “Game of Thrones,” will be playing Sarah Connor, John’s mother, the role made famous by Linda Hamilton in the original “Terminator” film. Jason, meanwhile, will be playing her son, John Connor, the “messiah” who leads the Resistance to defeat the robots in the future.
“Terminator: Genesis” is the fifth instalment of the 30-year-old billion-dollar franchise, is slated to be released on July 1, 2015.
Schwarzenegger is back to play his iconic role, the titular Terminator.
Jai Courtney, Dayo Okeniyi, J.K. Simmons, and Lee Byung-hun have also signed on.
Smith recently left “Doctor Who,” passing the baton to Peter Capaldi after holding onto the role for four years. He was the youngest actor to play the character in the series, and the only one who received a BAFTA Award nomination for the role.
He will also be seen in the upcoming Ryan Gosling-helmed film “Lost River” with Christina Hendricks, Saoirse Ronan, and Eva Mendes.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Gennady Golovkin Next Fight Options: Canelo Alvarez, Miguel Cotto Or Julio Cesar Chavez Jr.
- NFL MNF: Pittsburgh Steelers 30, Houston Texans 23 [PHOTOS]
- 2014 MLB World Series Game 1: San Francisco Giants 7, Kansas City Royals 1 [PHOTOS]
- 2014 MLB World Series - Game 2: Kansas City Royals 7, San Francisco Giants 2 [PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- Ian Somerhalder–Nina Dobrev Reunion Not Happening: 'The Vampire Diaries' (TVD) Star Is 'Falling In Love' With Nikki Reed—Report
- 'Fifty Shades of Grey' Plot Update: Sexy Scenes Revealed, Jamie Dornan Kisses Dakota Johnson In Reshoot
- ‘Big Brother Australia’ Lawson’s Girlfriend Reportedly Entering the House Plus Sandra Gets Evicted [VIDEO]
- 'Arrow' Season 3, Episode 3 Spoilers: Merlyn vs Queen; Thea Reborn; Felicity Smoak Gets New Boss [Watch Arrow 3x03 Promo Video]
- ‘The Young And The Restless’ Spoilers For Oct. 23: Find Out What Happens When Phyllis Meets Kelly
- Chilling: New ISIS Video Addresses Australia; Aussie Teen Delivers Message
- The Pirate Bay Blockade: Cost Of Blocking Websites Like TPB Is Ridiculously High
- Xiaomi Mi4 And MiPad Prices Likely Slashed, Thanks To Rivals Oppo, OnePlus And Meizu
- No Mercy: ISIS, Father Stones to Death Daughter for Alleged Adultery
- iOS 8 Jailbreak Release Date is Doomed as Team Evad3rs Opts Out, Pangu Hits Snag – Report
- Google Nexus 6 vs. iPhone 5S: 4 Important Things to Consider Before Switching to Android Lollipop