2014 Eta Aquarids Meteor Shower: How to Best View Peak on May 5 and 6, Where to Watch Sky Display Online
By Jenalyn Villamarin | May 5, 2014 10:44 AM EST
The 2014 Eta Aquarids meteor shower is set to illuminate the night sky with its peak on May 5 and 6. Sky watchers who want to observe the sky display outside can follow the given tips in best viewing the meteor shower while those who opt to watch in indoors can do it online.
The Eta Aquarids will continue to peak on early Tuesday morning, May 6, with the best time to view the meteor shower display is at approximately 4 am local time. According to the Christian Today report, viewers located at the southern hemisphere can observe up to 60 meteors per hour at its peak time while those living in North America can only view 10 meteors per hour at peak time.
Meanwhile, an online live stream of the 2014 Eta Aquarids meteor shower will be available as the sky display peaks overnight from May 5 until the early morning hours of Wednesday, May 7. The live stream video of the meteor shower will come from the National Aeronautics and Space Administration (NASA) and Slooh Camera.
According to the io9.com report, the Slooh camera's live stream video starts on Monday, May 5, at 6:00 PT and the NASA Marshall Space Flight Center will be hosting as well the Eta Aquarids live stream on Monday night. "On the night of May 5-6, NASA's Marshall Space Flight Center will offer a live Ustream view of the skies over Huntsville, Alabama on this page. Currently skies are predicted to be clear over Huntsville that evening," the nasa.gov report reads. Click HERE to watch the Slooh Eta Aquarid Meteor Shower Coverage.
To best view the Eta Aquarids meteor shower, observers are suggested to find a spot far away from the bright city lights and bring a reclining lawn chair, pillows and a blanket in order to have a comfortable viewing experience of the 2014 Eta Aquarids meteor shower. The io9.com report further noted that bringing a telescope or binoculars is not really necessary because viewing the meteor shower can be done with just the naked eye.
The other things that viewers are suggested to bring are hot beverages like chocolate or coffee, something to snack on while waiting and some good company. As for viewing the sky display, observers should not try to stand and look up because the neck will end up strained.
More Articles to Read:
2014 Meteor Shower: Eta Aquarids Set to Peak on May 5, What Time to Best View - [READ]
Fairies Sighting: UK University Professor Shares Captured Images of Fairies in Rossendale Valley, Lancashire - [READ]
2014 Lunar Eclipse: NASA's Lunar Reconnaissance Orbiter Team to Observe Total Lunar Eclipse - [READ]
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- In Photos, Typhoon Rammasun Blasts the Philippines
- Ellen DeGeneres Caught Cheating with Mutual Friend Before Portia de Rossi’s Rehab – Reports [PHOTOS]
- Flight MH17 Attack: Russians Claim 'Putin A Terrorist,' Memorial at Dutch Embassy Overflows [PHOTOS]
- Malaysia Airlines MH17: Vital Black Boxes Finally Land in Hands of Malaysian Authorities, Rebels Announce Ceasefire (PHOTOS/VIDEOS)
Join the Conversation
- Jeremy Meeks Death Hoax: Handsome Felon's Fake Death after Release from Jail Goes Viral
- Happy Birthday Prince George: 5 Things to Know About Kate Middleton and Prince William’s Son
- Prince George’s Birthday Celebrations: Prince Charles and Duchess Camilla to Remain Absent from Grandson's First Birthday Party Plus Other Details- Report
- Tony Abbott Launches #BringThemHome Operation for MH17 Victims; Black Avatars Trending on Social Media
- 'Dronies' to Become Latest Trend as Tourism New Zealand Buys Drone to Record Tourists' Videos
- Google Nexus 8 Release Date Soon Along with 2 More HTC Android Tablets – Reports
- Windows Phone 8.1 Update Rollout: 20 Nokia Lumia Phones Eligible and 13 New Features to be Added
- Moto 360 Price Speculations, Key Features, Strategic Release Date, Design: A Watch That is More Than Just Time
- Samsung Galaxy Note 4 Apps Leak Online, Five Fresh Features to Expect from the Android Smartphone
- Three New Moto G Successors Spotted in FCC Document Dubbed Moto G2, Moto M and More --Reports
- Sony PlayStation 4 Outsells a Resurgent Xbox One in June
- Killer Xiaomi Mi4 at $369 Likely to Come With 5.0-Inch Display, Snapdragon 801 Processor, 3GB RAM and More