1/3 of Virgin Mobile Postpaid Customers Lose Service Due to Network Collapse
By Vittorio Hernandez | May 5, 2014 7:33 AM EST
Virgin Mobile's network partially collapsed on Friday night, causing one-third of its 1 million postpaid customers in Australia to suffer from no phone service on Saturday.
Just 11 modified phones can be used to block the mobile network of whole cities. (Reuters)
To make up for the service outage, Virgin apologised to its customers and offered to credit clients who were disconnected because of the service interruption credit with a whole day's access fee as compensation on their next bill.
"I would like to sincerely apologise to those being affected by this outage and let you know that we have all hands on deck to resolve this. We absolutely appreciate the urgency of the situation and are doing everything we can to get things back up and running ASAP," said David Scribner, hear of Virgin Mobile Australia.
Because of the network outage, clients could not call or receive or send text messages on Saturday morning, leading Virgin Mobile to use social media to communicate with customers. It promised to send more updates via Facebook and Twitter when more information becomes available.
Although some fortunate users got back their service by midday on Saturday, Virgin said the problem has yet to be fully fixed.
This is the second time in six weeks that a major network disruption affected Virgin Mobile customers, although in March those affected were prepaid customers' voice and data service for the whole evening.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Join the Conversation
- Russia Is Ready for Shooting War, Will Likely Win Looming Nuclear Showdown with U.S. – Report
- Black Friday And Cyber Monday Sale 2014: AT&T's Cricket Wireless Offers Discounts On Lumia 1320, Galaxy S5, S4 And HTC Desire 510
- Microsoft Band Runs Out Of Stock, But Offers $10 Gift Voucher To Wait-Listed Customers
- ISIS Kidnaps Iraqi Defence Minister’s Family, Executes Female Parliament Candidates
- '$2,000 For Sex'—Pleads Unlucky-in-Love Guy On OKCupid
- Google Joins Forces with GoPro Inc with New Google Maps Focusing on Destination
- Target Early Black Friday 2014 Sale Ad Released For Nov. 26, 2014 Includes Deals On Toys, HDTVs And Video Games Such As ‘FIFA 15’ And ‘NHL 15’ For Xbox 360 [WATCH VIDEO]