1/3 of Virgin Mobile Postpaid Customers Lose Service Due to Network Collapse
By Vittorio Hernandez | May 5, 2014 7:33 AM EST
Virgin Mobile's network partially collapsed on Friday night, causing one-third of its 1 million postpaid customers in Australia to suffer from no phone service on Saturday.
Just 11 modified phones can be used to block the mobile network of whole cities. (Reuters)
To make up for the service outage, Virgin apologised to its customers and offered to credit clients who were disconnected because of the service interruption credit with a whole day's access fee as compensation on their next bill.
"I would like to sincerely apologise to those being affected by this outage and let you know that we have all hands on deck to resolve this. We absolutely appreciate the urgency of the situation and are doing everything we can to get things back up and running ASAP," said David Scribner, hear of Virgin Mobile Australia.
Because of the network outage, clients could not call or receive or send text messages on Saturday morning, leading Virgin Mobile to use social media to communicate with customers. It promised to send more updates via Facebook and Twitter when more information becomes available.
Although some fortunate users got back their service by midday on Saturday, Virgin said the problem has yet to be fully fixed.
This is the second time in six weeks that a major network disruption affected Virgin Mobile customers, although in March those affected were prepaid customers' voice and data service for the whole evening.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Join the Conversation
- Russia's New Tactical Nuclear Weapons Program Growing Confident Against the US: Talks of World War III
- Apple and Google Engage in Thermonuclear War, New Google Translate Chat App in the Works
- Walmart Offers the Best 2014 Black Friday Deals on iPhone 6, iPad Ai2 & Other Gadgets – Reports
- Chris Algieri’s Battered Face Trends On Social Media
- Update Samsung Galaxy S5 to Android 4.4.4 KitKat, Sprint Release and Installation
- Highest Paid NBA Players 2014: NBA Stars Who Earn More Than LeBron James
- More Nexus 6 Problems Arise with Android 5.0 Lollipop, Poor Benchmark Results and Other Issues